Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #181
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
No offense Kara, but how am I being mean? I didn't insult anyone. If a person doesn't like what I have to say, they can easily choose to ignore my posts.
You're right they can but it came off that way and I'm not offended lol. I understand what you're saying. I feel like this is heading into a big argument and this thread will get locked soon and besides, we're all friends here.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #182
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsy View Post
It's actually not a free forum. This is also why actors can get fired by private companies based on their "free speech." So mods should be free to delete all this far-right drivel.
To be fair, they would delete all the "drivel". Which I wouldn't have any issue with. I would say that they have been kind enough to leave this open for as long as they have. Also, we are all acting like civilized adults. I've seen more down-and-dirty posts just talking about a statues appearance get shut down faster
Old 02-11-2021, 12:40 PM   #183
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
It's actually not a free forum. This is also why actors can get fired by private companies based on their "free speech." So mods should be free to delete all this far-right drivel.
Mods can delete whatever they like. I'm not a conservative. I was born and raised in Chicago. I've voted Democrat for basically my entire life. It pains me greatly to see what has become of the party.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:43 PM   #184
SONICobra
Batman

Old 02-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #185
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
lmao
Old 02-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #186
Bubsy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Mods can delete whatever they like. I'm not a conservative. I was born and raised in Chicago. I've voted Democrat for basically my entire life. It pains me greatly to see what has become of the party.
And since you can afford over-priced statues, you're probably not an extremist living in your parents' basement. That's actually the biggest takeaway from the insurrection, based on the background of the participants which was very diverse socio-economically, for me and probably anybody whose actually trying to forecast the direction of this country to inform personal decisions in their lives. White anxiety cuts across all socio-economic levels, obviously much more for low/lower-middle income as they are irreversibly sinking while the rich is rising. But even the wealthy rightists now probably feel they are under siege. This country probably is reaching/or has already reached a tipping point where its diversity, whether in ethnicity, culture or political viewpoints, has actually become too pluralistic to the extent that people no longer can empathize with each other. It's much easier to view the other side as the enemy and eventually sanction inhumane acts. It gets much much worse when there's extreme resource competition. Biden's victory has probably staved off some type of US schism, and I wouldn't say civil war is a foregone conclusion as there are other ways to disintegrate, for maybe 5-10 years, but the next major recession (and yes, this one doesn't really count due to the govt spending) will be the test of whether this country can hold together. And I'm betting that it won't long term.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #187
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraFan View Post
You're right they can but it came off that way and I'm not offended lol. I understand what you're saying. I feel like this is heading into a big argument and this thread will get locked soon and besides, we are all friends here.
Honestly, I think all the posts so far have been fairly polite. Even the ones that vehemently disagree with my opinion. No one has called anyone any names and everyone has been respectful. It's not easy to have discussions with people who don't share your viewpoint. It can be very uncomfortable. However, I always think discussions are worth having so long as people can agree to disagree. I think that is something that has been lost in our country. I fully expect most of this to be deleted. However, as far as I can tell, all the members that took part in this topic have been respectful. That's nice to see.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #188
jasonsz1034
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepaphoros View Post
My point will be a little tangential, but I can only feel so bad for an actor getting fired. Show business is not a meritocracy (unlike pro sports), so some of these people should realize how damn lucky they are to make incredible money for a very small amount of work. Lebron James can get away with almost anything because you can not cancel him...he is just undeniably better than almost anyone else in the World at his job. I don't even know this person's name without searching for it (Gina Carano), but she is easily replaceable in her role as a chubby girl with a gun.

Maybe I'm coming off as a sports elitist here, but I think people should know their place before showing off how comfortable they feel. I think much of the social justice stuff is insanity, but if you're in show business then you should think twice about getting involved in social media because it directly affects the popularity of your product. Money is the root of all of this, and once a company thinks you are going to cost them money they will replace you. As great as Lebron is, if his opinions could be proven to be hurting the league's bottom line then they will try to figure out how to control them. If you're going to say something that's going to piss off half the country then just "don't hit send."
Athletes are just as at-risk of cancel culture. Ray Rice was effectively 'cancelled' for domestic abuse (but only when the tapes came out). Colin Kaepernick was cancelled. None of it had to do with their merits as athletes. Even LeBron is not immune. When the Rockets GM Daryl Morey voiced his support for Hong Kong during their CCP protests, LeBron felt the need to speak up because Morey was affecting his bottom line since the LeBron James brand reaps cash from the Chinese market. James was rightly called out for his ignorance on the subject, and hypocrisy of being a voice for local cultural issues and not educating himself on similar ones worldwide before speaking out.

I feel bad for anyone who gets cancelled for single incidents because it reveals how quick we as a society are to attack a person, without giving anyone a path to redemption or a face-saving way to learn from their mistakes. That just ends up with people digging their heels on their own political/cultural hills-to-die-on. I don't feel bad for Gina here because she was given multiple opportunities to tamp down her social media political statements, and she chose to double-down on them over keeping her job.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #189
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
And since you can afford over-priced statues, you're probably not an extremist living in your parents' basement. That's actually the biggest takeaway from the insurrection, based on the background of the participants which was very diverse socio-economically, for me and probably anybody whose actually trying to forecast the direction of this country to inform personal decisions in their lives. White anxiety cuts across all socio-economic levels, obviously much more for low/lower-middle income as they are irreversibly sinking while the rich is rising. But even the wealthy rightists now probably feel they are under siege. This country probably is reaching/or has already reached a tipping point where its diversity, whether in ethnicity, culture or political viewpoints, has actually become too pluralistic to the extent that people no longer can empathize with each other. It's much easier to view the other side as the enemy and eventually sanction inhumane acts. It gets much much worse when there's extreme resource competition. Biden's victory has probably staved off some type of US schism, and I wouldn't say civil war is a foregone conclusion as there are other ways to disintegrate, for maybe 5-10 years, but the next major recession will be the test of whether this country can hold together. And I'm betting that it won't long term.
LOL! No, I'm an old fart that lives in my own home with my wife and 2 kids. Color doesn't matter to Wall Street, the Military Complex, or politicians. Power and control does. I do agree with you that we lack empathy in our country. I have no idea what the next 5 to 10 years will bring. However, history has shown us that every empire falls. I'm not predicting that'll happen to us but it certainly can eventually.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #190
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsz1034 View Post
Athletes are just as at-risk of cancel culture. Ray Rice was effectively 'cancelled' for domestic abuse (but only when the tapes came out). Colin Kaepernick was cancelled. Even LeBron is not immune. When the Rockets GM Daryl Morey voiced his support for Hong Kong during their CCP protests, LeBron felt the need to speak up because Morey was affecting his bottom line since the LeBron James brand reaps cash from the Chinese market. James was rightly called out for his ignorance on the subject, and hypocrisy of being a voice for local cultural issues and not educating himself on similar ones worldwide before speaking out.

I feel bad for anyone who gets cancelled for single incidents because it reveals how quick we as a society are to attack a person, without giving anyone a path to redemption or a face-saving way to learn from their mistakes. That just ends up with people digging their heels on their own political/cultural hills-to-die-on. I don't feel bad for Gina here because she was given multiple opportunities to tamp down her social media political statements, and she chose to double-down on them over keeping her job.
Yeah, Rice is a strange case because he was also coming off a terrible season for the Ravens. I don't really want to put his DV incident in the same category here, but if he was still considered a top RB then I think he might have gotten a 2nd chance...maybe not though. Kaepernick was a below average player at the time and was going to spawn a media circus wherever he went. But again, I think a better/younger player in his same position would have gotten more offers (Kaepernick opted out of his contract and turned down a job as a backup). Lebron is not immune, but good luck getting rid of him without taking down the whole league. I think athletes in general are going to be much more resistant to this scrutiny given their undeniable value to their sports. A B/C level actress can not complain when she's not given the same length of rope.
Closed Thread