Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #531
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
@AlexLothos

I agree with much of what you say. The art stands out for having this super detailed painting. However, it sort of feel likes it has such aspirations to be this great lofty narrative that it sort of drags a bit. I admire DC trying things with size of comics and making "R" rated comics with some grounded bloody violence.

I'll see where it goes and other Black Label entries as it is trying something, even if right now doesn't qute reach its goal yet.
Agreed! Yeah, I'm happy to see DC doing a "mature" line with their core properties. I'm excited for the Black Label line and look forward to reading more of the projects within it!
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #532
AlexLothos

Saw a few Dark Days Metal issues and considered them. And then I saw Dark Nights Metal issues. And then more and more under similar headings, all with random #1s. I don't want to have to use a roadmap to read a series. Just number the series sequentially.

I can totally understand how someone who wants to try comics from an interest in a secondary medium could leave frustrated and never return. We really need to do better.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:10 PM   #533
AlexLothos

Man-Eaters #1
Image Comics

I didn't know much about this series going in, but it's an Image book and I'll always give those a try. The first few pages were cute and I figured it was an all-ages story. And then one of the twists came and I was like, cool... I'm down for a coming-of-age tale mixed with gore. A fun enough first issue, but not enough for me to follow the series in singe editions. When the TPB comes out, I'm there for it.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:51 PM   #534
AlexLothos

Dancer TPB
Image Comics

Sometimes you don't need a complex story to be enjoyable. This one is a simple assassin vs. assassin tale that's elevated by the way it envelops you in the story. The pacing and art make this well worth the read.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:32 PM   #535
AlexLothos

Friendo #1
Vault Comics

A kinda interesting look at a struggling actor trying to make it creatively in an already packed landscape. There's also the germ of an interesting take on technology in general with a Google Glass type product.

It had a lot of things that should've been a hit for me, but it didn't really land. Maybe it'll read better as a collected TPB, so I'll take another look at this project then.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #536
AlexLothos

Blackbird #1
Image Comics

I'm not usually a person for magic/fantasy stories, but sometimes there are stories like Game of Thrones that satisfy even my more grounded/reality based brain.

I actually enjoyed this comic. It's sort of like a weird hybrid of Saga, Dogwitch, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. A very well done first issue establishing our protagonist, the world, and getting to enjoy spending time with both. I plan to follow this series.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #537
AlexLothos

X-Men: Black - Mojo #1
Marvel Comics

I'm pretty fond of Mojo as a character as he popped up a lot in the random X-titles I could get my hands on with my super tiny teenage budget. So seeing Marvel giving him a one-shot, I had to give it a try.

I wasn't disappointed. Fun all around from start to finish. Lots of meta humor and heart embedded into this quick tale.

I was confused with the backup Apocalypse story... this was part 2 of this tale. You get the gist of the story and I'm curious to see where it goes.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #538
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Detective Comics, vol. 6: ICARUS 7/10

DCU freashly out of New 52, just after Damian died in Batman Inc before Batman: Superheavy.

It was nice. Nice detective work, good bussiness man Bruce Wayne and Bullock and criminal underworld use. The art was fine. The metahuman who the criminal underworld gang used to produce the Icarus drug, what happened to him, idk... i mean Batman came in his mecha armor and punched him, and that was it.. Did he die ? or taken under custody or something... ? Other than this, it was fine. Even if the metahuman and the short bits of the two different armor Batman use, it felt street level enough. Nice work.

I would love see Bullock's cats become a thing btw. I love cats.

The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #539
protector2814
Phoenix

I'm a sucker for DC & Marvel holiday specials, so today I easily broke down & dropped $10.00 on DC's latest (they've stopped using the term Xmas, but I get it) Nuclear Winter Special. I'm not "not going to buy a DC Holiday Special.

But ... as I dropped the shekels on this book I had a flash back to when I 1st started collecting comics, & realized that for the same $10 dollar bill, back in the day, I could have bought 10 of these beauties & his' kin! Damn, I'm an old, long time comic-nut-collector!

These were the Huge editions.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:40 AM   #540
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

DC use Kamandi more often lately huh... I see him in stories eversince The Final Crisis but all of them were little parts, more like cameos.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote