The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
You don't like Batman of Shanghai?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA6KPuUGQz4

How about Ucan Kiz?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0184983/

There can be elseworlds but if they change the race of The Batman of the main Batman book, or canon film then i won't support that.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #22
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Social media allows artists and the writers to really show what assholes they are......literally. Ask Robbi Rodriguez to show his sphincter selfies he sent or Mike Mckone who thinks people should suffer and die from dick cancer.
I quit buying comics because of this garbage. I lost much respect for people who started to reveal their true despicable selves. I know damn well I'm not the only one since sales are near bankruptcy for Marvel Comics. Also their nonsense is closing down comic stores left and right. Those people who depend on a healthy market are suffering for the vulgarity, abuse toward fans and politicization of comic artists and writers.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #23
Mister H
Gen 13

A lot of the good writers are going independent or working for the smaller publishers. No wonder Marvel is so terrible.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #24
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
There's no shortage of white writers who suck, too.
very true, there's more people that suck then are talented in the world which is why meritocracy should pretty much be the standard for every walk of life.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:40 PM   #25
XMRogue
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I'm fine with progressiveness and diversity or whatever, but I am tired of "diversity" characters riding the coat-tails of established heroes and replacing them - like the 15 year old girl Iron Man, etc. Why not just create new diverse characters and see if they take off on their own merits?
XMRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #26
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMRogue View Post
I'm fine with progressiveness and diversity or whatever, but I am tired of "diversity" characters riding the coat-tails of established heroes and replacing them - like the 15 year old girl Iron Man, etc. Why not just create new diverse characters and see if they take off on their own merits?
Because

Quote:
In today's environment, people follow brands and don't really give new stories/characters much of a chance. That's why it's so difficult to "break out". For every Harry Potter, there are dozens of commercially unsuccessful attempts to create a new franchise.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #27
XMRogue
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Because
I don't find that compelling enough to just supplant original characters with diverse versions. Maybe in alternate universe versions or something.

X-Men is one example where they could add more diverse mutants who appear in main team titles who may or may not take off. I mean the 70's roster was applauded for diversity in its time. They didn't just say "oh, Jean Gray is now African American." They created Storm.
XMRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #28
Augen
Metal Men

I'd be curious in the past thirty years in comics about success rate of new characters. Either completely new, derived, or legacy/replacement.

I think regardless of how they try, it is hard to break through. For all you gain with attaching to a brand you face resistance within the fandom and marketing confusion. It always seems like it takes vast majority of new characters decades and multiple pushed to become fixtures, much less sensations.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #29
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
I don't find that compelling enough to just supplant original characters with diverse versions. Maybe in alternate universe versions or something.

X-Men is one example where they could add more diverse mutants who appear in main team titles who may or may not take off. I mean the 70's roster was applauded for diversity in its time. They didn't just say "oh, Jean Gray is now African American." They created Storm.
While I agree with you, I'm not wrong about how tough it is to launch a completely new, unaffiliated character. Even long-established characters face uphill battles and end up getting 6- or 12-issue miniseries instead of a regular monthly.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #30
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:

Marvel didn't say "Tony Stark is now African American" either. Instead they created Ironheart.

Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Odinson and Peter Parker have and never will change their race or gender.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote