Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > From our Bench

Old 06-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #71
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPang View Post
I haven't really worked on this piece much, but i thought i'd post an update anyway.

BASE

Creating a base for your sculpture really comes down to personal preference. It can be as simple or complex as you choose to make it. Here are a few things i think about when i'm creating a base for a piece:
• For a museum style sculpture i prefer a clean and simple (something similar to what Bowen does for their museum style sculpts) For a sculpture that has a more dynamic pose, i prefer a base that helps tell the story of the action (something that Tim bruckner does extremely well)
• I'm a big fan of simpler is better so most of the bases i make don't have ton going on.(although it could just be that I'm lazy) I usually just want the base to compliment the sculpture and not distract. That being said, it is still important to make sure the base doesn't look like a mere after thought, so a little TLC goes a long way.
• there are instances where a complex base really adds to the asthetics and i've seen some fantastic elaborate bases that are mind blowing (Troy mcdevitt's work comes to mind)
I encourage those new to the game to see what the pros have done. A lot of thought and and skill goes into each piece. That should help you decide what types of base you'll make for your own work.

For this particular piece i wanted to keep the base simple since its basically a museum style piece. I decided to have him standing on a pile of rubble and to keep it small i kept it under one foot. I wanted to base to show that he's been through an area of destruction without distracting from the rest of the piece.

Here's a photo of some swap out parts i've started.

Thanks for looking
KILLAH man. that looks awesome. would be cool if you made a hand with the claws extended holding the hydra flag. which is an awesome touch by the way.

i can totally see him fighting along side Cap back in 42.
very cool concept man.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #72
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Thanks Epang! I've only ever done some masks and helmet sculpts before for cosplays, but am seriously considering trying my hand at some sculpts thanks to your great tutorial here.

Keep up the great work, and love the look of the statue with the Hydra flag!
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #73
savage.CAP
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

EPang. Please keep me posted on that ninja turtles sculpt too. Raph is my idol! Haha
savage.CAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:30 AM   #74
Antman84
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

That wolverine is just amazing love it
Antman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #75
srallives
Artist
Artist

Thank you Epang. This tutorial and your work are truely inspirational to a aspiring sculptor such as myself!
srallives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #76
savage.CAP
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Any updates EPang? Would love to see how it turned out.
savage.CAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:16 AM   #77
Cree
Frackin!

Yes, EPang! We NEED to see more. ;-)
Cree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #78
EPang
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
KILLAH man. that looks awesome. would be cool if you made a hand with the claws extended holding the hydra flag. which is an awesome touch by the way.

i can totally see him fighting along side Cap back in 42.
very cool concept man.
DM- Thanks brotha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Thanks Epang! I've only ever done some masks and helmet sculpts before for cosplays, but am seriously considering trying my hand at some sculpts thanks to your great tutorial here.

Keep up the great work, and love the look of the statue with the Hydra flag!
Sharkey- I hope you do. This forum has great members that are very helpful to those just starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.CAP View Post
EPang. Please keep me posted on that ninja turtles sculpt too. Raph is my idol! Haha
SC- I may try and start another thread for that particular piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antman84 View Post
That wolverine is just amazing love it
Antman84- Thanks just trying to do something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srallives View Post
Thank you Epang. This tutorial and your work are truely inspirational to a aspiring sculptor such as myself!
Srallives- No probs. This site is full of inspirational work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.CAP View Post
Any updates EPang? Would love to see how it turned out.
SC- Yeah, sorry for not posting lately. I've been busy working on my summer project (a cafe racer motorcycle build) so the sculpting has taken a backseat for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cree View Post
Yes, EPang! We NEED to see more. ;-)
Cree- Okay, okay I'll get on it.
EPang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #79
EPang
A day without sunshine is like... night.

It's not much, but here's an update to the front. I decided to redo the shoulder protection as well as give him some additional forearm bracers. I think it matches his comic book costume better now (IMO). I'm currently working on the back so as soon as I'm finished with that i'll post more pics.

Thanks

E

EPang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #80
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

OMG that looks amzing epang! Really reminds me of the old Nick Fury stories, love the gruff look and war clothes. I would jump all over this and a Nick Fury statue with similar style.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote