Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > From our Bench

Old 04-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #61
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPang View Post
Thanks bro. As it currently stands without a base it is about 16" so roughly 1:4 scale if using the 5'3" height.

Thanks. Just wanted to do something basic for the purpose of the tutorial.

Many thanks!

Glad you're finding it useful. The process of separating your sculpture into different pieces can be for multiple reasons.
- Keying a sculpture is beneficial when going through a mold making and casting process. If you're planning on directly painting your baked sculpy statue, then it may not be necessary.
- Keying your work may also depend on the scale of the piece. I can fit a fully sculpted statue at 1:6 scale in the oven I use. For anything larger (1:5 - 1:4 scale) I need to cut off limbs to make it fit.
- if you want your sculpture to have alternate heads, hands, arms, etc. you'll need to have a basic knowledge of the process.
- I like to key parts to make it easier for myself when I'm refining and doing detail work in a finishing material like wax. I like to work on one arm/leg/whatever at a time.

The number of limbs I choose to separate varies from sculpture to sculpture (sometimes I don't cut anything, other times I have several separations). I went ahead and did all the limbs for this piece just to show what that might look like, but it wasn't at all needed.
I've found that the polymer clay (sculpy) will do a decent job of adhering to the epoxy if I use A thin layer of Vaseline before applying the clay.

Hope that answers your questions and thanks for looking!
E
Thank you SO MUCH for this thread EPang. Honestly it is an amazing primer for guys like me who are just starting out. Again I am sure I will have a million questions, I am going to start writing them all down,
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #62
savage.CAP
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Thank you EPang! I really appreciate this thread! You do great work and I can not wait to see the final product. I hope you continue to post your WIP's. Would love to continue to see your work!
savage.CAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #63
EPang
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attom44 View Post
I would like to thank you for sharing your process and I know by reading it, I've learned a few new things today... Thank you!
Attom44- Thanks for looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
Thank you SO MUCH for this thread EPang. Honestly it is an amazing primer for guys like me who are just starting out. Again I am sure I will have a million questions, I am going to start writing them all down,
Spidey976- No probs. This forum is full of great artists who are willing to share their knowledge, so I encourage you to learn how others work as well. Once you start posting pics of your work you can get some decent feedback. Definitely check out the greats in the "Leave it to the Professionals Please" section. http://www.statueforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.CAP View Post
Thank you EPang! I really appreciate this thread! You do great work and I can not wait to see the final product. I hope you continue to post your WIP's. Would love to continue to see your work!
Savage.Cap- Thanks for the comment. I'm anxious to get this piece finished as well, but I only have a few hours a week to work on it, hence the large gaps inbetween my posts. I wish i had more time!
EPang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #64
Cmast45

Epang - thanks a ton for doing this and making this tutorial. Clearly it was a lot of work. This will be an outstanding resource that I will surely return to as I continue to learn / practice sculpting. Thanks so much!
Cmast45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:07 AM   #65
savage.CAP
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I check back weekly because I can not wait to see more. I'm hoping to get better at sculpting and maybe get into custom work, or even stuff for friends and family. But mostly making myself exactly what I want. Haha
Old 05-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #66
savage.CAP

Hey EPang, is there anything I can do to form/shape clay after baking? I mean simple stuff like sanding to smooth it or add texture or stuff like that? Or would I have to add clay, texture it, then re-bake it?
Old 05-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #67
EPang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmast45 View Post
Epang - thanks a ton for doing this and making this tutorial. Clearly it was a lot of work. This will be an outstanding resource that I will surely return to as I continue to learn / practice sculpting. Thanks so much!
No probs!

Quote:
I check back weekly because I can not wait to see more. I'm hoping to get better at sculpting and maybe get into custom work, or even stuff for friends and family. But mostly making myself exactly what I want. Haha
Thanks for the support and i look forward to seeing your stuff. Sorry i haven't posted in a while, i've been trying to manage a couple of other side projects on my list. I'll try and post an update over the weekend.

Quote:
Hey EPang, is there anything I can do to form/shape clay after baking? I mean simple stuff like sanding to smooth it or add texture or stuff like that? Or would I have to add clay, texture it, then re-bake it?
There are many different ways to approach adding texture to the clay. If you're looking into smoothing the material, you can use a solvent before you bake (turpenoid, rubbing alcohol, etc) or sand after baking. If you're trying to add in a rough texture or pattern you can make it before you bake, but you'll need to be careful how you handle the piece so you dont ruin what you've done. If i'm adding the texture to sculpy, i prefer to work in stages, so i'll bake then add clay&texture then bake again (repeat as necessary). I find that the easiest way to add texture is to mold your sculpy piece and cast in a finishing material (wax, chavant, etc)
Old 05-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #68
EPang

I haven't really worked on this piece much, but i thought i'd post an update anyway.

BASE

Creating a base for your sculpture really comes down to personal preference. It can be as simple or complex as you choose to make it. Here are a few things i think about when i'm creating a base for a piece:
• For a museum style sculpture i prefer a clean and simple (something similar to what Bowen does for their museum style sculpts) For a sculpture that has a more dynamic pose, i prefer a base that helps tell the story of the action (something that Tim bruckner does extremely well)
• I'm a big fan of simpler is better so most of the bases i make don't have ton going on.(although it could just be that I'm lazy) I usually just want the base to compliment the sculpture and not distract. That being said, it is still important to make sure the base doesn't look like a mere after thought, so a little TLC goes a long way.
• there are instances where a complex base really adds to the asthetics and i've seen some fantastic elaborate bases that are mind blowing (Troy mcdevitt's work comes to mind)
I encourage those new to the game to see what the pros have done. A lot of thought and and skill goes into each piece. That should help you decide what types of base you'll make for your own work.

For this particular piece i wanted to keep the base simple since its basically a museum style piece. I decided to have him standing on a pile of rubble and to keep it small i kept it under one foot. I wanted to base to show that he's been through an area of destruction without distracting from the rest of the piece.

Here's a photo of some swap out parts i've started.

Thanks for looking
Old 06-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #69
savage.CAP

You are amazing man... I wish I had a fraction of this skill. Haha
Old 06-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #70
savage.CAP

Ninja Turtle WIP in back? You're killing me!