Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #881
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
When it comes to portraits, prototypes, posses, Sideshow better XM Studios..
..XM Studios, which price their pieces higher (than Sideshow), tend to out perform Sideshow when it comes to the quality of factory results.

Sideshow tend to keep base designs less complicated than XM bases, which i'd assume is to keep prices down?

Lately, Sideshow appear to have upped their game. At the moment, i'm not sure where XM Studio's focus is? they appear to offering more and more 1/5th scale. Some of their recent 1/4 pieces are hit'n'miss.
I think they’re all hit and miss. Sideshow has had some good art direction lately. There’s some newer offerings from both I prefer... XM Mystique, Emma and Sabretooth all look better than their recent SS counterparts to me. But SS nailed Cable and I like both Spider-Mans but I’m leaning towards SS’s right now. I really dig this Jean but even with the better face she doesn’t have the overall presence of the XM Jeans, including the very flawed Phoenix statue which is something I own but can admit. It’s all subjective but they’re SS and XM are about even to me.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #882
Kessiah
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Guys, I understand what you all say and when I look back at the pictures I took, it seems like there is a problem with the eyes.

I just checked and once in-hand and with a close look, the eyes are 100% OK.

Strange things but sometimes with angles, light, lens, we can see things that are not exactly like what it really look like. Details on pictures are a bit pushed forward too. I can assure you, you can't see it IRL with mine.

Also, I didn't post it to make a comparison between the two at all. I loved them both equally and I think they go very well together. XM base has more work on it, packaging is better and the artwork is a plus. Sideshow portrait is excellent. Both are OK. I hope to get the Iron Kite Jean Grey to have something like young Jean - adult Jean - and Dark Phoenix displayed side by side.

I didn't not display the bird in order to have same closed size statues side by side, it worked better on camera and the bird would have mess the frame. In my collection, I display DP with the bird on.
Kessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:07 PM   #883
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessiah View Post
Also, I didn't post it to make a comparison between the two at all. I loved them both equally and I think they go very well together. XM base has more work on it, packaging is better and the artwork is a plus. Sideshow portrait is excellent. Both are OK. I hope to get the Iron Kite Jean Grey to have something like young Jean - adult Jean - and Dark Phoenix displayed side by side.
I don’t think most took your pics as a comparison in that way. Not many would buy 2 expensive Jeans just to compare. I just took it as you like Jean and have multiples of her. I’m in the same boat.

However, display an XM and SS side by side and it’s inevitable, this is just what people will do regardless lol.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #884
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Time to go search "Iron Kite Jean Grey"....never heard of them before.

Edit: I have seen that Jean. I like it alot, just think the base is a touch too busy (yes, I know it's pretty much a panel from the comic series). I did like that costume for the younger Jean.
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #885
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

If we really are comparing....

VS...

Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #886
Asgard
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post
If we really are comparing....

I like the beautiful face from Sideshow Jean Grey
But XM Dark Phoenix is a masterpiece on a completely different level.
Asgard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #887
Squirtle
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Well I have to admit the XM piece is trying to do more and for that it is impressive. But I am drawn to faces when looking at these statues and the detailing and realness of Sideshow wins by far. The XM seems to have a flat paint app in comparison on the face. But the Phoenix transformation on Sideshow is pretty lacklustre especially compared to the massive flaming Phoenix on XM.

I guess it depends what people want from their statues at the end of the day. I like the realism and less comic booky nature of Sideshow this time.
Squirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #888
built2shred
Phoenix

Apples to Oranges... wait for XM to do an actual Jean Grey then you guys can compare
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM   #889
markuz30
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

XM's weakness is in the "portrait department" especially their female portraits which tends to look the same. The only female portrait from XM that wow me is Storm because they gave a realistic approach. Most of their female portraits have the same small lips and cat-eye make up. I think they are best at paint application department and detailed bases (But prime 1 is still the king in this department).. Sculpt wise they are almost even.
markuz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:42 PM   #890
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by markuz30 View Post
XM's weakness is in the "portrait department" especially their female portraits which tends to look the same. The only female portrait from XM that wow me is Storm because they gave a realistic approach. Most of their female portraits have the same small lips and cat-eye make up. I think they are best at paint application department and detailed bases (But prime 1 is still the king in this department).. Sculpt wise they are almost even.
I agree. But since, portrait is a dealbreaker for me, I always prefer sideshow over XM.
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote