Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-26-2020, 12:55 AM   #871
unique crysis
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

the xm piece is really nice but there's no way that portrait is better than sideshows
unique crysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:05 AM   #872
Limmic
Frackin!

No matter which is "better" than the other, both statues are amazing. I own both and couldn't be happier with both. Definitely better with the bird.

I'd argue the DP statue is better overall, but not sure if it's so much better that it's worth the much higher price tag, but I don't regret buying it either. It's probably my favorite statue I own, though I love my JG statue. You really can't go wrong with either one.
Limmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:12 AM   #873
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
The pictures above really illustrate how much better sideshow is at portraits than XM.
Do you think the paint on cold cast porcelain hurts it as well? Both XM's and Tweeterhead's paint is more flat.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:01 AM   #874
built2shred
Phoenix

SS has a great portrait but the rest of her body looks cartoony with the way they painted it... Not to mention the questionable base...

I've been on the fence and wish SS would have done a more realistic paint application for her outfit and added some texture... I might still get it down the road if I can find a regular version for a bargain price...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:17 AM   #875
unique crysis
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limmic View Post
No matter which is "better" than the other, both statues are amazing. I own both and couldn't be happier with both. Definitely better with the bird.

I'd argue the DP statue is better overall, but not sure if it's so much better that it's worth the much higher price tag, but I don't regret buying it either. It's probably my favorite statue I own, though I love my JG statue. You really can't go wrong with either one.
I agree with you there I do think the XM DP is the better one overall from the two, I was just referring to the face sculpt while the XM doesn't look bad it's a tad bit cartoonish/flat it just seems to lack detail funny enough that's the same way I feel about the body of the new Sideshow Jean Grey PF nonetheless both are great statues
unique crysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #876
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
The pictures above really illustrate how much better sideshow is at portraits than XM.
You should just say that "really illustrates how much better Sideshow is at portraits than any other company"

While XM is the statue compared here, your comment makes it seems like XM's DP portait sucks. It doesn't. They have really come far with their female portraits.

However, nobody will beat SS when it comes to pure realistic sculpted portraits. We could put this portrait next to a Bowen, Tweeterhead, and P1 and say the same thing because SS is just that good with portraits.
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #877
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
You should just say that "really illustrates how much better Sideshow is at portraits than any other company"

While XM is the statue compared here, your comment makes it seems like XM's DP portait sucks. It doesn't. They have really come far with their female portraits.

However, nobody will beat SS when it comes to pure realistic sculpted portraits. We could put this portrait next to a Bowen, Tweeterhead, and P1 and say the same thing because SS is just that good with portraits.
Two of the portraits do suck. The one pictured here is the only good one IMO. The calm portrait looks ugly and has googly eyes and the rage portrait has toothpaste teeth.

Even their Emma Frost that everyone fawns over has misaligned eyes on the long haired portrait. The short haired portrait looks like it was lifted directly from the Samurai Poison Ivy bob portrait.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #878
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
When it comes to portraits, prototypes, posses, Sideshow better XM Studios..
..XM Studios, which price their pieces higher (than Sideshow), tend to out perform Sideshow when it comes to the quality of factory results.

Sideshow tend to keep base designs less complicated than XM bases, which i'd assume is to keep prices down?

Lately, Sideshow appear to have upped their game. At the moment, i'm not sure where XM Studio's focus is? they appear to offering more and more 1/5th scale. Some of their recent 1/4 pieces are hit'n'miss.

I would not be 100% happy with those eye's.
The eye on left side appears to be looking slightly to the right. The eye on the right side appears to be looking forward/pointing upwards compared to the eye on the left side? (factory error)
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #879
Diaboluz
Frackin!

I thought her eyes were a little off too, maybe the angle?... she still looks great though.
Diaboluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #880
Peedi
The Secret Six

No matter what angle a face is viewed from, eyes should always still be in the same direction, unless they’re not.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote