Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 04-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #241
Gothamite
Phoenix

Technically, the GA/BC statue is taller than BG because of the arrow bow, lol. I wish that HQ had been made as big as or smaller than BG, though I'm okay with Starfire being bigger than BG and HQ since she's supposed to be very tall.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #242
ruzzell
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I thought these DC designer series statues were not set at a specific scale, but were intended to be about 12 inches tall. That might be why some of the smaller characters are scaled up and the larger ones and couples are scaled down more.
ruzzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #243
Gothamite
Phoenix

I kinda wish the couples statues were categorized as part of another line. Near the start of this thread, I observed that they're similar to the Joker/HQ statues. The GA/BC and Aquaman/Mera statues are basically the same poses as the Joker/HQ statues (the guy hugging the girl from the back).

Old 04-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #244
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
Its because of the scale on these that's making me be very selective on this line. So far I have Designer Series DK Batman and Flash because they are more in the same scale when put side by side.

The Designer Series HQ I have is a standalone right now ...because she looks big next to DK Batman.
Only because DK Batman is not standing on his disc all the way. He was one foot off of it which makes him look shorter then he is.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #245
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Only because DK Batman is not standing on his disc all the way. He was one foot off of it which makes him look shorter then he is.
His legs are larger than all of BG, lol.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #246
GreenFlash
Doh!

Exclamation Statue QC Issues - DC Designer Series

Hi,

For my inaugural post, first things first: just wanted to say this is a great forum with great contributors, an invaluable resource for those just getting into the hobby.

Beyond that --and to dive into the nitty gritty right away -- -- I wanted to echo what I've read elsewhere on net and on this forum...I love the DC Designer statues conceptually, but from a beginner-collector perspective, the sloppier QC on (for example) the Manapul FLASH and the Kubert BATMAN has been noticeable. Especially when compared with the Koto 1/6th scale ARTFX stuff. Granted these are two very different types of statues in material composition -- but at the end of the day, QC is still QC.

The sloppy black outlining around the Manapul Flash isn't hard to live with as it only becomes stark upon close scrutiny. But when I received my Kubert BATS from BBTS the other day, I breathed a sigh of relief nothing was broken (an issue which seems endemic to the state design itself) but then discovered a scratch/cut on the front mid-section and a missing paint "hole" on the back of the head/neck.

After corresponding with BBTS -- who have been great and responsive and who pointed out the obvious, they could replace the statue but due to the line's inconsistent QC not guarantee the new one wouldn't arrive with similar "minor defects" --I'm leaning towards keeping BATS and touching up the spot and ignoring the cut on his stomach. Thoughts I would surface my experience in case any more seasoned collectors had words of counsel or advice. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tummy cut.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	103496   Click image for larger version

Name:	no paint spot.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	103497  
GreenFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #247
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFlash View Post
Hi,

Spoiler
For my inaugural post, first things first: just wanted to say this is a great forum with great contributors, an invaluable resource for those just getting into the hobby.

Beyond that --and to dive into the nitty gritty right away -- -- I wanted to echo what I've read elsewhere on net and on this forum...I love the DC Designer statues conceptually, but from a beginner-collector perspective, the sloppier QC on (for example) the Manapul FLASH and the Kubert BATMAN has been noticeable. Especially when compared with the Koto 1/6th scale ARTFX stuff. Granted these are two very different types of statues in material composition -- but at the end of the day, QC is still QC.

The sloppy black outlining around the Manapul Flash isn't hard to live with as it only becomes stark upon close scrutiny. But when I received my Kubert BATS from BBTS the other day, I breathed a sigh of relief nothing was broken (an issue which seems endemic to the state design itself) but then discovered a scratch/cut on the front mid-section and a missing paint "hole" on the back of the head/neck.

After corresponding with BBTS -- who have been great and responsive and who pointed out the obvious, they could replace the statue but due to the line's inconsistent QC not guarantee the new one wouldn't arrive with similar "minor defects" --I'm leaning towards keeping BATS and touching up the spot and ignoring the cut on his stomach. Thoughts I would surface my experience in case any more seasoned collectors had words of counsel or advice. Thanks in advance!
As you noted, problems with Batman have to be expected more or less due to the design. If you look on eBay, you'll see damaged statues being sold for a discount. (Btw, some of the online retailers actually sell their broken inventory on eBay!)

If you read this entire thread, you'll find that most members are very positive about the Designer Series. Some have considered quitting the ArtFX line in favor of statues from this series.

If you look carefully at the pix I posted of Starfire, some of the sticker stripe on her left boot fell off when the Styrofoam brick was taped shut. I simply scraped off the tip and painted my own white stripe between the grooves that were cut into the boot.

I think the issues on your Batman are rather minor. I'd replace only if you got a damaged cape or broken head like I did with BG.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #248
GreenFlash
Doh!

Hi G-Mite,

Thanks -- I was looking for another opinion on this so thanks. As for the rest, I have read through the thread yes, and always good to see what other people are liking. Personally I like both the DC and Koto lines for different reasons, but still would like the DC QC to improve to match their amazing creative...but on my shelves, they all live in peace and harmony lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	detente'.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	103498  
GreenFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #249
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFlash View Post
Hi G-Mite,

Thanks -- I was looking for another opinion on this so thanks. As for the rest, I have read through the thread yes, and always good to see what other people are liking. Personally I like both the DC and Koto lines for different reasons, but still would like the DC QC to improve to match their amazing creative...but on my shelves, they all live in peace and harmony lol
No worries, I completely understand. I'm very OCD about things myself, but if you look at this post on my blog, you'll see that you learn to pick your battles. (Btw, I even got a box filled with pubic hairs!)

http://batgirl1967.blogspot.com/2016...so-strong.html

Old 04-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #250
built2shred
Phoenix

I had a lot of bad luck with the covergirl and bombshell line of statues, quite a few of them arrived broken, the biggest issue being capes and name plates arriving broken.

So far I've been lucky with the designer series, I own all the single ones and so far no QC issues. But when you buy DC Collectibles it's always a game of Russian roulette when it comes to QC. Sometimes you get flawless QC other times it looks like a blind man painted them.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote