Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 08-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #11
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
Paint thinner .. and the Wonder Woman wasn't cast by my regular caster, I was just as surprised (and not very happy) as everyone else was when I got an extra one for a friend of mine, because Saul painted mine, and the caster shipped those pieces out direct (something that I'll never do again) ... my other pieces aren't made of the same kind of resin.
Ahh ok then that would be why. Havent had any of your other kits in hand other then that one.

Any idea on what type of resin that was? Cause it brakes down with potent stuff like Acetone and would be nice to know.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #12
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew View Post
u think the diamond select white queen and mary jane would be ok?

I forgot to ask about aves apoxy. Does acetone eat through that and I would have to redo all my apoxy work?

I am sure they will be fine, i dipped a few diamond items in acetone before.

Aves will survive in acetone too. When i stripped down a few customs i did that i messed up on in paints. The Aves was fine and held up better then resin. But i never let it soak more then 15min.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #13
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Ahh ok then that would be why. Havent had any of your other kits in hand other then that one.

Any idea on what type of resin that was? Cause it brakes down with potent stuff like Acetone and would be nice to know.
I have no idea what kind of resin was used on the WW, but you can feel that it's very porous, and not very sturdy stuff just by touching it (which is why I wasn't happy when I saw it) ... the rest of my kits are made of a really solid and heavier resin, which is why I only use the caster I'm currently using for all my kits.

Here's a picture so you can see the difference,

the WW is about 1/2 the weight of the Dr. Fate.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #14
FengShuiStein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Thats why its getting gunky. More or less what you did was melt/water up the paint again, moved it around and it dries up fast then clunks.
Yeah, I've had the same problem when using Citri-Strip to strip the paint off something - the paint just clumps up all over in nasty sticky gobs, and if you try to rinse it under water, it gets nastier and stickier, LOL!! The water seems to neutralize the strpping action. It's best to wipe off as much as you can with paper towels while it's still "fresh", before you rinse it off.

-Phil
Old 08-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #15
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
I have no idea what kind of resin was used on the WW, but you can feel that it's very porous, and not very sturdy stuff just by touching it (which is why I wasn't happy when I saw it) ... the rest of my kits are made of a really solid and heavier resin, which is why I only use the caster I'm currently using for all my kits.

Here's a picture so you can see the difference,

the WW is about 1/2 the weight of the Dr. Fate.

Ya that yellow resin is fine in acetone, but that white resin is more like a powder and lighter resin. So more or less if you got a resin kit and its a white resin like that and doesnt weigh much. Keep it away from acetone.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #16
Bartholomew
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

The lady at the drugstore wondered what I was doing with 6 bottles of nail polish remover.

So far it's done a better job than laquer thinner. There are many spots I still have to resand, but it's much much better than before. Thanks Vince.

oh yeah be careful with a sharp edges on your kit. It poked a hole through my gloves.
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote