Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
Landroid
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

This is Moy we're talking about here.
Landroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
Underdog07
Hercules

That Wonder Woman and Aquaman are going to look sweet framed together
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
Underdog07
Hercules

Sadly Charles The inflated prices on brand new art probably do not drastically increase the value of older art as it is more the hype that is driving the sales of these hot pages. And as Marvelboi has pointed out it is unlikely that these pages would bring the same amount if flipped The older page prices are more driven by heritage and sales of similarly aged pieces.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
rychehitman
Galactus

worth. every. penny.

if you are a millionaire.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Too rich for my blood.
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #16
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Sadly Charles The inflated prices on brand new art probably do not drastically increase the value of older art as it is more the hype that is driving the sales of these hot pages. And as Marvelboi has pointed out it is unlikely that these pages would bring the same amount if flipped The older page prices are more driven by heritage and sales of similarly aged pieces.

You're right. My thinking is also that as long as there are people out there susceptible to the hype, these prices will continue to rise. Also, who are these people? Are they the type of collectors who perhaps don't care if they are overpaying? Or, do they simply have more money than brains? Are looking for a quick turnaround? Whatever the case, it is what it is. Original art can mean big bucks.

P.S. I still think some of these Jim Lee pages will actually go for more in years to come. Every time I think a page will go down in price, I'm sometimes proven wrong. It's quite possible that in 5 years time, these JLA pages will b perceived as vintage and will command high dollar figures.

P.P.S. This year I spent more on one piece than I ever thought I would. Thing is, now that's I've bitten that particular bullet, I get the sense that I'll likely spend even more on a piece in 2012.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
jason_craig
Artist
Producer

value of art

Ill tell you a humbling fact about the value of art that has happened to me twice in my career or lifetime.

I shipped art via Fed Ex, I insured it for 1500 the first time, 2000 the second, and were talking many many MANY mailings in between over 10 years, but the simple fact I leaned, and with my wife working at the post office I know there rules are the same.....If you do not have documentation proving the value of the artwork you are sending, from a reputable agency i might add, then if that art work you are insuring is damaged, they will simply pay out the price of a sheet of the paper that was damaged.

In both cases, all they ended up doing after a lengthy battle was refund my money i paid to insure it, with the price of the paper that was damaged...essentially just giving me my money back i spent for there service, which literally wasn't worth the paper it was written on...ironically

so now when i mail art, i just put a little into shipping it, as in, reinforcing the package so the art cant be damaged, at least i know i am protected that way
jason_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #18
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

At those prices, I don't believe their target demographic is comic art "collector" but is "speculative investor". Eh. It's Albert Moy so I expect nothing less.
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #19
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I'm not really surprised by the pricing of the big pages. It's a lot of money for comic art but it's Jim Lee and Justice League. Moy's prices have always been high too, I think.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #20
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post

P.P.S. This year I spent more on one piece than I ever thought I would. Thing is, now that's I've bitten that particular bullet, I get the sense that I'll likely spend even more on a piece in 2012.
Yeah, once you hit a new threshold it changes your mental impression. I started with "nothing over $100" then hit 300 then 1k then 2k. It's crazy.