Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Anime/Manga

Old 05-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
Smith88
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

What I'm watching, What I've watched, What I recommend.

I've been thinking about starting one of these threads for a while. I'm not sure if there's any interest... but I watch a LOT of anime... and I've been watching it for... Jesus... 16-17 years now (good lord) and I thought it'd be fun to kind of chronicle what I'm watching... and pass along some other recommendations. I tend to watch several shows at the same time (a couple on my own... and a couple that I watch with various friends)

Not sure how I'll format it... might give beginning, middle, and end opinion... maybe just edit old posts as I make progress. If anybody has some input... let me know.

I guess I'll start now.

Main Show:
Toaru Majutsu no Index
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=5975

Quick Synopsis: Guy saves blue haired nun, fights some people, psuedo-harem ensues.

Thoughts:
To be fair, I've seen the whole first season... but it's been a couple years. I love this show... Characters are a lot of fun, story is engrossing... Very addictive.

Fan-Service Warning: Minimal. Occasional panty shots, brief almost nudity, foggy/towel covered bath scenes.

Recommend?: Yeah, it's a great show.
Smith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Smith88

Oh... Random recommendation: Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Space War action-drama. Older show, no graphical fanciness but it's masterful... I love classic anime spaceship designs, the episodes are jam packed with story and information, and it really does a great job of showing both sides of the story and how there are heroes and villains in each group.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=584
Old 05-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
El Pulento
The InJustice League

Any good anime movies?
El Pulento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Smith88

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pulento View Post
Any good anime movies?
Redline

It's like F-Zero on crack. Not a real in-depth story... but a LOT of fun. Oddball director.

Fanservice warning: Nudity (Breasts)

Sword of the Stranger

Good samurai action anime

Castle of Cagliostro

My introduction to the world of Lupin the 3rd... I love this movies... it's an anime classic that I feel EVERYBODY should watch.

Bonus: Character designs by Hayao Miazaki (Spelling?), The Studio Ghibli guy.

Getting ready for work... Those should last you until I get home at least.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
El Pulento
The InJustice League

My favorites are, Ninja scroll, vampire hunter d bloodlust and Street fighter
El Pulento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
jimaras2099
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Sword of the Stranger:
Awesome story..AMAZING music!!!!
i loved also the Kenshin Himoura (Samurai X) the "Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection"..what an end!!
jimaras2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
Smith88

The other shows I've been watching

Astro Fighter Sunred

Genre: Parody

Thoughts: I'm only at the beginning... It's a parody / play on the sentai (Think power rangers or ultraman) genre. Animation isn't great, most of the appeal lies in the references to types of characters and situations.

Side-note: I'm totally thinking about cosplaying as Sunred if I go to another anime convention

Warnings: No nudity or anything like that yet (doubt there will be... but seriously... not much in the way of animation, only watch if you're a fan of the genre.

Busou Renkin
(Showing Friend)

Genre: "THIS IS MY SPECIAL MOVE" action anime.

Thoughts: I LOVED this show. Fun story, pretty good animation, a lot of characters with a lot of special abilities. Definitely worth a watch in my opinion.

Warnings: Not much in the way of lady-part fanservice that I remember. There's a main character that's REALLY fancy (google image search: busou renkin papillion) and spends at least one episode running around in a thong. The rest of the episodes... it's not much better. So avoid if you're ultra sensitive to that sort of thing.

Gundam 00 (Showing Friend)

Genre: Giant Robot awesomeness

Thoughts: I watched the first season a lot time ago... rewatching it with a friend... looking forward to season two. Great story, not a terribly happy one though. Animation and character design are top notch.

Warnings: Slightly irritating robot sidekick? I kind of like it... My friend wants to kick the TV.

(Sorry that I'm like "OH MAN, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME"... I need to find some shows that aren't so great)
Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Smith88

b.t.w. if anyone has any suggestions to what I should be putting in this thread review wise... or anything else... feel free to comment or PM me.

Ask for any genre recommendations the same way. Otherwise... I'll just post as I watch new shows or occasionally just ramble about some shows / movies I like on a certain theme.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Smith88

RANDOM RECOMMENDATION!

Gurren Lagann (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)

Genre: Giant robot / THIS IS MY SPECIAL MOVE!!! anime

Quick plot: Humans vs Beastmen and beyond in a fight for survival... with giant robots.

Thoughts: If you can find me a more over the top crazy awesome show... I'll give you a buck. seriously... first person. I will paypal you a dollar. But it has to be 1)Over the top 2)Over the top crazy 3)Crazy awesome 4)Awesome

Ships are powered by fighting spirit and challenges can be overcome just through force of will.

Awesome characters, great story, cool robots.

I've watched this show all the way through at LEAST 5 times... showing various people... everybody has liked.

Warning 1: There is some fan service... The main female spends most of the series in a bikini top, and she's very jiggly.

Warning 2: you might not want to watch if you're kind of new to anime... it might break other shows for you. You're likely to be like "Welp, Akira is hella boring"
Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Loved Afro Samurai, Samurai Champloo, Basilisk, Elfen Lied, Ninja Scroll OVA, Fist of the North Star, High School of the Dead, Gatchaman OVA, Blood OVA and Witchblade.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote