Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-16-2022, 01:41 PM   #41
protector2814
Phoenix

While I initially really enjoyed Jason Aaron's kick-off run on Marvel's Conan, it sort of fell flat by his final issue 12.Jim Zub, who came next brought Conan to China which was kinda fun. The Savage Sword book was great, but Marvel only went 12 or so issues with it. Aaron's swan-song with Conan is his King Conan book, but it's trickled out & hasn't been very good. The Savage Avengers book has been fun, but it felt a bit weird. All in all, imo, Marvel dropped the ball. No one really knew how to write him. Dark Horse did a much better job. The Ablaze' Cimmerian comics, as mentioned in the attached article in post 32, Have all been fantastic! Don't mess with Conan if you don't know what to do with him.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:39 PM   #42
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
While I initially really enjoyed Jason Aaron's kick-off run on Marvel's Conan, it sort of fell flat by his final issue 12.Jim Zub, who came next brought Conan to China which was kinda fun. The Savage Sword book was great, but Marvel only went 12 or so issues with it. Aaron's swan-song with Conan is his King Conan book, but it's trickled out & hasn't been very good. The Savage Avengers book has been fun, but it felt a bit weird. All in all, imo, Marvel dropped the ball. No one really knew how to write him. Dark Horse did a much better job. The Ablaze' Cimmerian comics, as mentioned in the attached article in post 32, Have all been fantastic! Don't mess with Conan if you don't know what to do with him.
Could not have put it any better. I will say that Conan as a character has suffered the least amount of damage from Jason Aaron though. Not that that's a compliment.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:11 PM   #43
qz33
Doctor Doom

Whoops missed that post about Marvel LOSING the license again.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE finish the run of Savage Sword Conan Omnis. Conan the Barbarian is set to be the 1st run ever completed in Moni and no reason Savage Sword can't follow!
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:22 PM   #44
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE finish the run of Savage Sword Conan Omnis. Conan the Barbarian is set to be the 1st run ever completed in Moni and no reason Savage Sword can't follow!
The news said the classic reprints program should be safe.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:00 PM   #45
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Could not have put it any better. I will say that Conan as a character has suffered the least amount of damage from Jason Aaron though. Not that that's a compliment.
I did like his start with Conan but I've never understood the accolades this guy gets. He's an inconsistent writer at best. The reprints should keep on coming. I've already ordered the King Conan omnibus from Marvel & can't wait!
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:31 PM   #46
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
The news said the classic reprints program should be safe.
Yeah safe as still possible but will Marvel still have interest for a license they can no longer profit from in other ways? Just hope they don't putter our due to indifference while they are so close...
Old 05-17-2022, 02:51 AM   #47
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Yeah safe as still possible but will Marvel still have interest for a license they can no longer profit from in other ways?
It's still better than not profiting from it in any way. : )

The Omnis have certainly been fast-tracked lately, with volumes 8, 9 and lastly 10 of the Barbarian series coming in June, September and December this year, so I guess Marvel could see it coming.

I do hope we get to the see all of the Savage Sword omnis, too.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #48
Mister H
Gen 13

My advice is to get all the Conan omnis you think you'll need as they come out. They're going up and up in price like everything else. The King Conan omni coming in June is $125 retail for a book that has 19 comics in it.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:14 PM   #49
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I did like his start with Conan but I've never understood the accolades this guy gets. He's an inconsistent writer at best. The reprints should keep on coming. I've already ordered the King Conan omnibus from Marvel & can't wait!
He really is inconsistent. His work on Scalped, Ghost Rider, (early) Wolverine and Thor were terrific. Like you, I loved his start on Conan but it just sputtered out half way through. And his work on Avengers has been middle of the road at best.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:39 PM   #50
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
My advice is to get all the Conan omnis you think you'll need as they come out. They're going up and up in price like everything else. The King Conan omni coming in June is $125 retail for a book that has 19 comics in it.
Yeah I want the entire collection or none. I'm leaving the earlier ones sealed until confirmation of the later.