Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 02-13-2022, 05:59 PM   #21
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

PSA:

The new Detolf design (that just came back after a year of it being "discontinued") HALVED the shelf weight capacity! I made the mistake of buying 5 new ones, about two weeks ago before I realized they resigned the entire thing, to my dismay. The glass is all WAY thinner, top and bottom wood panels are each 1mm shorter, and the grooves the side/back glass sit in are more shallow and a royal PITA to work with now. They DO NOT ASSEMBLE EAISLY OR WELL.

I have 9 others from before these changes, and have not had issues with any, assembling, dissembling, moving, and reassembling were all great, and I'm pretty sure I well exceeded the weight limit for the shelves, as my display was at maximum capacity, and then some. These new ones took my husband and I HOURS over several days to put together, when they should have taken about 15 mins at max. We were so frustrated at points that I really wish I had just returned them. They are awful.

The shelf glass has been shaved down on thickness by several mm's, and that has made them cut the weight capacity from 13lbs to 8lbs. I'm having to scavenge the shelves from my reeeeeaaly old ones that I was replacing (the Beachwood color ones from 2005) and even then I'm scared to use the new ones.

Every single panel has at least one chip on the edges, and some multiple right out of the boxes. They were not damaged, they were not set down incorrectly, or on their corners, the chips were all in the unopened packages from Ikea. So, the explosion issue is forefront in my mind now, even more than normal.

There is no way to build them now without bowing the side glass, even if you back off the threads on top and bottom to almost not catching at all, still bowed. I've tried every troubleshooting step possible, and they still all suck. I would very much advise against the new ones because of all the changes, none of which were for the better in my experience so far.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:45 PM   #22
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteguytu View Post
Same here. I even came up with a 'Pimp My Detolf' guide

Cool indeed!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:13 PM   #23
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornPegasus View Post
PSA:

The new Detolf design (that just came back after a year of it being "discontinued") HALVED the shelf weight capacity! I made the mistake of buying 5 new ones, about two weeks ago before I realized they resigned the entire thing, to my dismay. The glass is all WAY thinner, top and bottom wood panels are each 1mm shorter, and the grooves the side/back glass sit in are more shallow and a royal PITA to work with now. They DO NOT ASSEMBLE EAISLY OR WELL.

I have 9 others from before these changes, and have not had issues with any, assembling, dissembling, moving, and reassembling were all great, and I'm pretty sure I well exceeded the weight limit for the shelves, as my display was at maximum capacity, and then some. These new ones took my husband and I HOURS over several days to put together, when they should have taken about 15 mins at max. We were so frustrated at points that I really wish I had just returned them. They are awful.

The shelf glass has been shaved down on thickness by several mm's, and that has made them cut the weight capacity from 13lbs to 8lbs. I'm having to scavenge the shelves from my reeeeeaaly old ones that I was replacing (the Beachwood color ones from 2005) and even then I'm scared to use the new ones.

Every single panel has at least one chip on the edges, and some multiple right out of the boxes. They were not damaged, they were not set down incorrectly, or on their corners, the chips were all in the unopened packages from Ikea. So, the explosion issue is forefront in my mind now, even more than normal.

There is no way to build them now without bowing the side glass, even if you back off the threads on top and bottom to almost not catching at all, still bowed. I've tried every troubleshooting step possible, and they still all suck. I would very much advise against the new ones because of all the changes, none of which were for the better in my experience so far.

Well that sucks. The last two I got were from a salon closing, all mine were the discontinued beechwood color and I had to do Craiglist search for quite a while before I found them to match. I guess buy only used ones then going forward.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:10 PM   #24
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornPegasus View Post
PSA:

This is sad to hear, but thank you for this useful information. It sucks that you had to discover this, but this could possibly help others in the community.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote