Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #1521
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I'm starting to wonder if anyone watches anything on NBC, CBS, NBC, or Fox anymore... lol. Other than a few shows we watch with the kids, just about everything we watch is on the smaller networks.
I only watch a few shows on cable like Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon otherwise must of the stuff I watch is from streaming...

I think I prefer streaming services because the shows are a bit more adult orientated... Where cable TV shows have to be edited heavily for younger viewers.. (IE: no cussing, min. violence, no nudity, etc...etc..), which is fine if you have kids...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #1522
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Altered Carbon - 9/10

What a great Sci-Fi series. Production value is off the charts and on par with any large scale feature film. The world that’s been created here is fully immersive and loaded with so much detail that it’s almost a character unto itself. Narrative is deep and plays out like a layered mystery across multiple timelines. Really hoping to see another season just so we can return to this world but the story has a pretty definitive conclusion so I could see this being a stand alone series too. Great stuff. Highly recommended for Sci-Fi fans or those who just want to see something different as it’s unlike anything on television and one of the best original offerings on Netflix to date.

Quote:
Jessica Jones: S2 - 7/10

If you liked the first season you should enjoy this. S2 is more of an origin story than anything as Jessica’s clouded past is fleshed out. Very different structurally than S1 but because of that shift it helps give it a fresh and even a bit more grounded feeling. There were a few elements I didn’t care for, mostly surrounding the Trish character but overall it’s a natural progression for all the players and a solid continuation for the series. While this Marvel series isn’t as good as Cage, Daredevil or The Punisher in my eyes it is slightly better than both The Defenders and Iron Fist. So take that as you will.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly on both shows. Altered Carbon was big welcome surprise. Absolutely loved the world they created and the drama surrounding the main characters. Jessica Jones was solid, but a big step down from the first season IMO. Mainly due to Trish Walker's development. Her character really brought the show down for me.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #1523
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Altered Carbon - 9/10

What a great Sci-Fi series. Production value is off the charts and on par with any large scale feature film. The world that’s been created here is fully immersive and loaded with so much detail that it’s almost a character unto itself. Narrative is deep and plays out like a layered mystery across multiple timelines. Really hoping to see another season just so we can return to this world but the story has a pretty definitive conclusion so I could see this being a stand alone series too. Great stuff. Highly recommended for Sci-Fi fans or those who just want to see something different as it’s unlike anything on television and one of the best original offerings on Netflix to date.

It's about time you watched this outstanding show. I thought it might be right in your wheel house. Good news for a second season is recent reports on Netflix's first quarter earnings mention Altered Carbon as one of the main shows that led to them surpassing expectations for subscriber growth for the quarter.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #1524
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I only watch a few shows on cable like Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon otherwise must of the stuff I watch is from streaming...

I think I prefer streaming services because the shows are a bit more adult orientated... Where cable TV shows have to be edited heavily for younger viewers.. (IE: no cussing, min. violence, no nudity, etc...etc..), which is fine if you have kids...
You mean network TV shows. Cable channels like FX (Sons of Anarchy, The Americans) allow limited adult language and mild nudity. And then the premium cable channels like HBO, Starz, etc. go even further.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #1525
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Pretty much my thoughts exactly on both shows. Altered Carbon was big welcome surprise. Absolutely loved the world they created and the drama surrounding the main characters. Jessica Jones was solid, but a big step down from the first season IMO. Mainly due to Trish Walker's development. Her character really brought the show down for me.
S2 of Jessica Jones was about on par with the first season for me. S1 felt like it was about 3 episodes too long and even though the Killgrave character was interesting he wore thin as the series came to it's climax. That said I thoroughly enjoyed the interaction between her and Luke Cage, something that was sorely missing from S2. As for Trish's character in S2, I couldn't stand her. Beyond annoying and it seemed as if she had equal screen time to Jessica. While the decisions her character made kind of made sense given her history, it wasn't enjoyable to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
It's about time you watched this outstanding show. I thought it might be right in your wheel house. Good news for a second season is recent reports on Netflix's first quarter earnings mention Altered Carbon as one of the main shows that led to them surpassing expectations for subscriber growth for the quarter.
You thought right.

Thats great news regarding the success of the series. If we do get a second season of Altered Carbon it'll be really interesting to see what direction they move in as there are a ton of possibilities.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #1526
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I'll have to give Altered Carbon another go...wasn't doing it for me, but I should probably finish the first season at least.

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if anyone watches anything on NBC, CBS, NBC, or Fox anymore... Other than a few shows we watch with the kids, just about everything we watch seems to originate from the smaller networks.
Same here...I know there's some good shows on the big networks, but cable seems to have the more adult oriented quality stuff. That and I already have so many shows I watch...priorities, I guess.

Atlanta- 9/10
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:34 PM   #1527
risingstar
Jedi Order

We just took out S1 of Mr. Robot. Is this a kid-friendly show? I'm reading that it likely isn't but I can't tell for sure if the 'stay away' posts are from people who think millennial kids needs to be protected from everything. My kids can handle PG rated violence but if there is nudity, lots of cursing, and R-rated level violence (e.g., throat slitting, body parts being cut off, etc.), it wouldn't be a good fit.

Thoughts?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:19 AM   #1528
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
We just took out S1 of Mr. Robot. Is this a kid-friendly show? I'm reading that it likely isn't but I can't tell for sure if the 'stay away' posts are from people who think millennial kids needs to be protected from everything. My kids can handle PG rated violence but if there is nudity, lots of cursing, and R-rated level violence (e.g., throat slitting, body parts being cut off, etc.), it wouldn't be a good fit.

Thoughts?
Not suitable for kids under 15 IMHO. It’s got a bit of everything but it’s definitely R rated material with language being the biggest reason.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:29 AM   #1529
KELPIE
New Republic

Quote:

Thoughts?
Depends on the kids and their age... but yeah, this isn't for kids.

Apart from the violence, sex, nudity, drug references... I reckon kids would find it boring.
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:50 AM   #1530
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Not suitable for kids under 15 IMHO. It’s got a bit of everything but it’s definitely R rated material with language being the biggest reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
Depends on the kids and their age... but yeah, this isn't for kids.

Apart from the violence, sex, nudity, drug references... I reckon kids would find it boring.

Thanks,guys. This helps!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote