Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Just The Facts... > Collection Corner

Old 10-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #81
ukshaun
Hercules

Captain America: The Winter Soldier ¼ Gentle Giant

Arrived today

The photo’s are some quick out of the box shots.

For a while I’ve wanted to add some companion pieces to my Gentle Giant ¼ scale Black Widow statue. Some weeks ago I spotted Captain America going for a fair price on ebay from Reel Art Collectibles in Illinois, and pulled the trigger. One month later, he arrived!

As a statue, Captain America is a quality Gentle Giant piece, the same high quality as Black Widow. Heavy, not as heavy as Black Widow. The blue movie accurate outfit looks excellent. I’m neutral with regards to his face. Which is fitting, as while I’m not familiar with the actor, he played the part fittingly, as a clean-cut Captain America. The shield, which looks like metal, appears to be made from plastic.

If i wanted to be super picky - There is room for improvement with regards to the eyes which look cartoony, do not reflect those of the actor who played the part. There is something slightly effeminate about the face, which might have something to do with the eye mouth combination.

The ex display statue looks like new, although I did spot 3 faults:
1. Small piece missing on the rear upper right shoulder strap (no sign of it in the box)
2. Blue paint scuff on the left calf, atleast it appears to be a scuff, which can be fixed.
3. Two hairline line’s on the shield that appear to show a repair.

For the $200 price I’m not complaining.

The two other pieces I want to add to the line-up include:
Iron Man (Hajime Sorayama) from Gentle Giant
Sideshow Hulk Maquette, as Gentle Giant never made a ¼ scale Hulk

Maybe the line-up could be expanded further.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:00 AM   #82
ukshaun
Hercules

Iron Man (Sorayama Metropolis) Variant ¼ Gentle Giant

Arrived today

The photo’s are some quick out of the box shots, some with flash, some without.

What can i say? I’m impressed, very impressed. Iron Man weighs heavy, and the gold silver
with hint of blue works well. The 8 points of light up, look great. The light-switch is on the
back, covered by an armour section that is held on by 2 magnets. Excluding the base, which
attaches using two screws, zero assembly required. The plan was to only ever own 1x Iron
Man, and i think I’ve made the ideal choice. If an amazing Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man ever
showed up, i maybe could be tempted by a 2nd Iron Man.

Originally, i wanted the XM Studios Iron Man VII. He sells for crazy prices, not to mention he
don't light up? Although the red and gold colour combo is something I’ve always liked.

My Avengers are Assembling, at a slow speed. Black Widow, Captain America, and now Iron
Man. All i need now, is the Hulk. Since Gentle Giant never made a 1/4 Hulk, I’m probably
looking at something from Sideshow.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:32 PM   #83
Mister H
Green Goblin

You could have that repainted to the metallic red and gold. I think that would look great on him. The armor and sculpt are really good, kind of reminds me of a cross between modern armor and an older IM helmet.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:24 PM   #84
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
You could have that repainted to the metallic red and gold. I think that would look great on him. The armor and sculpt are really good, kind of reminds me of a cross between modern armor and an older IM helmet.
I could do (have it repainted) but i wouldn't. As others have mentioned in reviews, and i've now seen myself, is something that doesn't show in photo's, the quality of the silver paint with it's blue tint that shows up under various light conditions.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #85
ukshaun
Hercules

The Joker ‘The Dark Knight’ EX Premium Format(TM) Figure 1/4 Sideshow Collectibles

Arrived today

The photo’s are some quick out of the box shots. I might shoot some more under daylight
conditions. If your reading this, you’ve probably looked at a ton of images already.

First of all, he looks excellent!

I've been wanting this Joker for ages, and sat on the fence since it was announced. Now i have
him, i agree with many of the reviews that the magnets feel weak almost non existent, and he
looks slightly smaller than 1/4 scale (compared to most of my other 1/4 statues). Other than
the flames, the broken road base looks great, and sets the scene perfectly.

While the Joker slots into the base with ease, attaching the head and hands its fiddly, as his outfit
is made of real cloth, and gets in the way of the slots. Once the head and hands are in place, time
is required to bend the wires (sewn inside the jacket),to get the purple jacket looking it does in
the Sideshow shots. It’s the real cloth outfit that sets this statue apart from all my other ¼ scale’s.
I really like it. For collectors who like to keep their statues boxed, i can't imagine the Joker lasting
well in a box, as i can see the fabric becoming irreversibly creased.

While I am not over obsessive on how Heath Ledger looks, I think the artists at Sideshow
have done a good job with portraits likeness.

One final note. Super fast international shipping from Sideshow. They used DHL, which appear
to be superior to FedEx and UPS. The parcel didn't appear to get stuck in customs for a week,
which is the norm.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #86
ukshaun
Hercules

The Joker ‘The Dark Knight’ EX Premium Format(TM) Figure 1/4 Sideshow Collectibles

I took a couple of more shots today. The darker shots have a movie vibe about them, so i
added some black bars. I've included one day-light shot, as it was the only one not to turn
out blurred. I really should obtain a tripod, as my camera is prone to movement.

Under the white make-up, side on, i see Heath Ledger, face on, i see a hint of Christian Bale
Old 12-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #87
ukshaun
Hercules

Honey Trap Lucky ¼ Gentle Giant

Arrived today

Lucky is the third Honey Trap statue in my collection, Derby and Kat-Ya being the other two. I picked up Lucky direct from Gentle Giant during the Black Friday weekend.

First impressions - The box feels light, and the size of the box is the smallest of all my ¼ scale statues. I guess is this due to two reasons - the kneeling pose of Lucky, and fact there is no base, other than the usual Gentle Giant circular clear plastic base.

As well as being quite light, Lucky feels small. Her head looks ¼, her body seems small. Maybe Lucky is supposed to be shorter than the other Honey Trap characters. If I imagined her sanding up, I doubt she would be as tall as either Derby or Kat-Ya.

Comparing the paint app to prototype images, the factory has performed a good job. The boots don’t look quite as dusty /dirty, everything thing else looks close. The paint app on the hair looks really good. There are many other details, all painted. Which is impressive, when you consider how basic a PCS paint app is in comparison.

There is one major fault with the statue - the eyes. First of all, they don’t compare to the prototype. Secondly, my Lucy has eyes which are not pointing in the same direction. It is annoying. Both my Derby and especially Kat-Ya both have amazing eyes. I was half tempted to send Lucky back. Since Lucky wears silver lens shades, I guess I can live with the issue. Also, no Tags. The other two Honey Trap statues came with metal tags. Lucky don’t appear to ship with tags. Thirdly, I’m not sure why, both Derby and Kat-Ya not only weigh more, but they just feel better. I had read that the Red Whisper is superior to the Grey Whisper, I guess the same applies to Lucky, while being good, is not as good as some of the other statues in the line. When Fireball arrives, I sure hope she matches the quality of both Derby and Kat-Ya

To sum things up. Lucky is pretty good, just not as amazing as Derby or Kat-Ya. The statue serves the purpose of completing the line up. The pose is quite original compared to many statues showing up at the moment.

Her eyes, other than not being 100% straight / looking in the same direction, fail to compare to the prototype.
Other differences include eyebrows. The production piece has her teeth showing?

..if you want be super picky, her hat appears to be positioned in a slighly different position.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #88
House
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Nice Addition! Always have liked this piece, just never pulled the trigger on it. I know id be tempted to get more Honey Trap pieces if i did.
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #89
ukshaun
Hercules

Checking out my statues today, I paid extra attention to Maggie Greene, probably because
I’ve returned this week to watching The Walking Dead (Season 5 to be precise). It really is
an excellent statue, that hasn’t aged a bit, and manages to look better than some of the
more recent reveals.

I remember when Maggie first showed up, and many were horrified by Gentle Giants
alterations when compared to the prototype. The eyes were larger, the skin colour darker,
and to top it all, the first image to appear had been taken by someone with mobile phone
camera holding it too close to Maggie’s face. A mini meltdown ensued.

Just thought I’d share
Old 01-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #90
ukshaun
Hercules

The crash helmet paint app looks great. Maybe not as beaten-up as the prototype,
but a big improvement over the original batch that shipped.

Bounties of Bathos – REN ¼ HMO

Arrived today

Super piece. Quite different from all my other ¼ scale statues. The skin paint app has what
appears to have had quite a lot of effort put into it, and it’s complete with veins. The three
head sculpts are all very different, one of which looks quite bizarre. The crash-helmet is
possibly my favourite. The non bizarre head sculpt is excellent also, with eye’s that shine.

The base is rather excellent also, containing good detail, great paint app, and it weighs a ton.
Definitely a bottom shelf/base position in my Detlof.

The statue comes with an art print, that looks quite nice. Be warned, as it is packed under the
brown shipper box top flaps, no protection card, so very easy to slice with a knife, as I nearly did.

Magnets hold the head(s) and arms in place, and are of medium strength. The odd thing is, while
the head(s) appear loose, pulling them out, proves quite difficult, as the magnets feel strong?

Pretty much 10/10 to HMO. If I wanted to be super picky, the Ren’s left hand, which is 80%
covered by her gun, looks a bit rough, and her fingers on the small side. My Maggie Green statue
from Gentle Giant, which is displayed in the same unit has much larger hands in comparison.