Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #11
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
The problem with the DC movies is their stories are just not that good or comprehensive, there all over the place. It's like Snyder and his wife were writing the script as they were filming it... The stories were not well thought out...

The only DC Movie that a had pretty good story was MOS but that can be credited to Nolan and not Snyder..

Wonder Woman is over hyped due to being the first female superhero in awhile and a female director... If you ignore those things the basic story was weak and CGI wasn't good either.

Warner Brothers needs to take over the reigns of DC movies and get some talented writers who actually have a vision for all the movies.
I think they just need an architect, Much like Feige, someone who is not attached to the films in a hands on way but oversees them to make sure it's cohesive, is true to the characters and the material and it doesn't go too far away from the over arching outline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I would compare the first WW to Caps First Avenger in that it was a good introduction. If Jenkins can replicate the Russo’s masterpiece that is Winter Solider I will be more than happy.
It would be wonderful, but even that won't save the mess they've made of the DCEU
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:38 PM   #12
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Ezra is nowhere near as bad a flash as jesse freakin eisenburg is a lex luthor, if lex isnt being recast, flash sure isnt being recast
They both should be recast. They’re both terrible in these roles. I’d recast everyone except Gal Gadot.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:46 PM   #13
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
They both should be recast. They’re both terrible in these roles. I’d recast everyone except Gal Gadot.
It'd be easier if they just incorporated Wonder Woman into the DC TV Arrowverse.

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #14
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
I would compare the first WW to Caps First Avenger in that it was a good introduction. If Jenkins can replicate the Russo’s masterpiece that is Winter Solider I will be more than happy.
The thing is Captain America (First Avenger) had heart, Wonder Woman IMO didn't... The story wasn't bad but it wasn't great either, other then Chris Pine the actors were rather cardboard like in personality. Gadot did an average job on WW but she didn't bring a lot to the character IMO..

She's more of a model then an actress and lets be honest, she doesn't have much experience acting under her belt... Mostly small parts in movies or guest spots on shows..

Even her body doesn't really fit the part, she's thin and doesn't have a lot of muscle tone, she's not intimating looking at all...

She was horrible in Justice League but I'll give her sort of break and say it was probably mostly due to the poorly written script.

It will be interesting to see how Wonder Woman 2 does now that some of the hype has died down..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:45 AM   #15
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
I think Captain America First Avenger was much better than Wonder Woman. I did enjoy Wonder Woman for the most part, but CAFA was definitely better. Hoping for Patty Jenkins to replicate Captain America Winter Soldier is only asking for her to make a movie that is equal to Marvel/Disney's best superhero movie to date, which is a massively tall order. I do understand your desire for that though as I know you're a huge WW fan.

As good as Wonder Woman was for a DCEAU film, it still came in behind Man of Steel, which was the best DCEAU movie to date, IMO.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #16
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
The thing is Captain America (First Avenger) had heart, Wonder Woman IMO didn't... The story wasn't bad but it wasn't great either, other then Chris Pine the actors were rather cardboard like in personality. Gadot did an average job on WW but she didn't bring a lot to the character IMO..

She's more of a model then an actress and lets be honest, she doesn't have much experience acting under her belt... Mostly small parts in movies or guest spots on shows..

Even her body doesn't really fit the part, she's thin and doesn't have a lot of muscle tone, she's not intimating looking at all...

She was horrible in Justice League but I'll give her sort of break and say it was probably mostly due to the poorly written script.

It will be interesting to see how Wonder Woman 2 does now that some of the hype has died down..
WW is possibly the mos overated movie in recent memory , so so cringey at times and the slo mo’s borrowed right out of Snyder playbook . Jesus christ! So glad he has nothing more to do the DC universe.

I can get behind Gal Gadot as WW though. I think she did a decent job.

We need fresh blood in the franchise . Affleck ,Leto and Eisenberg need to be booted if they aren’t already.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
WW is possibly the mos overated movie in recent memory , so so cringey at times and the slo mo’s borrowed right out of Snyder playbook . Jesus christ! So glad he has nothing more to do the DC universe.

We need fresh blood in the franchise . Affleck ,Leto and Eisenberg need to be booted if they aren’t already.
You know what I'd keep Gadot and Cavill, I may have issues with MOS but at least he gave a good Superman, and besides Gadot in JL, he was the only other thing I thought was done well...except for the erased mustache, that was stupid.

They really need some structure though. This tossing films out with no real plan on how they connect, or at least that's how it feels, is crappy. Any writer will tell you you need a planned outline when you write a universe, no matter how big or small.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #18
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
WW is possibly the mos overated movie in recent memory , so so cringey at times
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so.
That makes two of us, I guess.

I saw it at the theater and left so disappointed. I tried a second time when the BluRay came out - nope, my opinion didn't change at all.

Gal was nice indeed, but everyhing else, from the cardboard, unnecessary sidekicks to the forced humor, lackluster villains and more-of-the-same final showdown was... ugh. This is all the critics' darling? My faith in RottenTomatoes died quite a bit with that one.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #19
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:

I can think of a major film release of 2017 that had nigh universal critical praise that I think we one of the worst constructed stories I've ever seen in a major film. I've found discussions of Star Wars get heated really quick so we don't have to go into Last Jedi.

People clearly have differing tastes, sometimes I'm in the majority, sometimes I'm not. I've always felt claiming "over rated" or "over hyped" as just a way of saying "I didn't like something other people liked".

In film criticism I prefer to look at the work for what it is and acknowledge my tastes. Wonder Woman is what I'd call a solid film that my personal emotional investment elevated. Diana was how I wanted a hero to be; full of hope, strength, and warmth despite challenges, failures, and doubt. Maybe others don't like that or didn't interpret that, but I'm glad it exists and can enjoy it on Blu Ray including an impressive amount of behind the scenes features (I love that stuff regardless).
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #20
Tushar
Hellboy

Gal Gadot brought more her role than either Cavill or Affleck bought to theirs. This movie is by no means a great one, by either Dark Knight standards or Avengers 1 standards, but it's undeniably a good movie. I enjoyed it quite a lot up until the third act.

That being said, I'd like the DCEU to start over from scratch even if it means losing Gal as WW. I shudder at the thought of Kristen Wiig playing Cheetah anyway. Too many characters have been spoiled by the movies. Not Cheetah too. I don't want her to become a joke like the DCEU Luthor. Or the DCEU Joker. Or the DCEU Ares. Or the DCEU Steppenwolf.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote