Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 09-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
law1349
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Help with Krylon primer problem

I just finished adding a thin gray coat to my sculpt and it will not dry. It stays sticky to the touch. This is the third time I've had this problem when painting Sculpey. I'm using Krylon spray can primer. Before I began painting, I washed the scuplt with dish detergent then rinsed it off and let it dry. What am I doing wrong? How can I fix it now?

As a side note, if I need to add to the sculpt now, can I boil it? I was kind of hoping it would help strip that primer off, too. Anyone tried this?

Thanks.
law1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

ive had issues with krylon primer in the past on resin. it sometimes stays tacky and even just leaks or runs so i never use it anymore. Something with their primer seems off to me when ever i used it.

As for taking off the primer i don't know whats the best solution for Sculpey, as i mostly work on resin.

If you do manage to get it off, try Duplicolor filler primer, its semi thick but so far i don't ever have any issues with it. Only issues with it is if its a bad can which is rare, or you use it on another item that has a different brand of primer on it.

So say your item is coated in kyrlon primer then use dulicolor it reacts and bubbles or cracks.

But the duplicolor is great, i am always able to prime, and use Aves over it and doesn't effect it at all, but not sure on sculpey tho.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
C. Bormann
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I have had problems with Krylon paints on several occasions. I have had much better results with Rustolium products.
C. Bormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Astounding
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Love Krylon flat black,... hate that primer.
Never tried it on Sculpey, but it sounds like you are getting a chemical reaction, where the oils are rising from the Sculpey through the paint. I've seen this happen with PVC (vinyl) parts many times. I would clean it off if you can (I'd try denatured alcohol, but don't know if it will damage the Sculpey...) then use a different primer such as Vince-Vell and C. Bormann suggested.
Astounding is offline   Reply With Quote