Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #21
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebon View Post
No, you got it.

What I find most interesting about the big 3 photo guys is the way people contrast them. Alex Ross and Bradstreet take photos of people in poses, then trace them. Greg Land just takes them out of magazines, especially Hustler. Guess who's the bad guy? I suppose it's the creativity of constructing the poses for the photo that heightens some people. Me, it's all the same.
I thought the difference was that Ross took pictures and LOOKED at them while he's drawing as a reference. Not directly drawing over them with tracing paper.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #22
snappahead
Producer
Producer

There's some differences.

Tim takes fantastic photos and doesn't alter them too much. He pretty much recreates what's there in the photo. Brilliantly I might add. I don't know if he traces them or not.

Alex takes lousy photos and relies almost entirely on his imagination to fill in the gaps. His ref photos look almost nothing like the finished painting. He uses them as a template and nothing more. No tracing for Alex.

Greg also stays fairly faithful to the source material, but draws a lot of superheroes, so he has to fill in a lot of gaps. His biggest criticism is that since he doesn't take his own photos, he's (arguably) stealing from the photographer and he reuses the same photos over and over creating a since of deja vu like "Hey, I recognize that face" The first point is iffy and can be debated forever, but I do agree with the second. Especially when I see a shot of Wolverine or someone and go "hey, it's HHH". I don't think Greg traces either but I could be wrong.

Anyways, very nice covers! I think Tim's work is fantastic. He does amazing things with ink.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote