Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Jason Aaron

In a morass and plethora of purely crappy comics which, over the last few years since Marvel NOW and New 52, have seen my weekly haul go from dozens per week to lease than 10 over the last 9 weeks, Jason Aaron's work on Mighty Thor, Unworthy Thor and Doctor Strange has been the bright spot of my comic book life. Tomasi/Gleason's Superman is up there, too. And there are just a few others, as well. But Jason Aaron's at the top.

I've always loved Aaron's work. From Scalped, to Ghost Rider to Wolverine/Weapon X he's been a shining star in the comic book creator world and well deserving of his multiple Eisner Awards.

Now that I mostly go to my trades, HCs, Omnibuses and Absolutes for my comic book fixes, I'm so happy Aaron's out there getting me excited to pick up new comics.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I really want the Jason Aaron Wolverine Omnibus but it's out of stock everywhere... :/
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I really want the Jason Aaron Wolverine Omnibus but it's out of stock everywhere... :/
That's too bad. It's a GREAT book, as is the Jason Aaron Ghost Rider Omnibus.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

You see, it's odd that you say that as I find our tastes are typically very much in sync. However, I generally find Jason Aaron's work to be inconsistent and sometimes too preoccupied with seeking out opportunities to reflect upon the impacts of faith.

I loved his work on Thor and Star Wars. I'm reading Dr. Strange now and I'm quite enjoying it too. However, I found his work on Wolverine (i.e., "Goes to Hell" and "Wolverine's revenge"), X-Men ("The quest for Nightcrawler"), and on the Wolverine Spiderman mini series to be rather gloomy or forgetful. I also wasn't able to get past the first Scalped trade paperback as it was just too bitter and angry.

I have yet to read his run on Ghost Rider. I have the Punisher Max omnibus on my bookshelf somewhere.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Thor: God of Thunder is one of my favourite runs ever, and Unworthy Thor is shaping up to be another great story. Doctor Strange is also pretty good, though I haven't read the last few issues.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:07 AM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
You see, it's odd that you say that as I find our tastes are typically very much in sync. However, I generally find Jason Aaron's work to be inconsistent and sometimes too preoccupied with seeking out opportunities to reflect upon the impacts of faith.

I loved his work on Thor and Star Wars. I'm reading Dr. Strange now and I'm quite enjoying it too. However, I found his work on Wolverine (i.e., "Goes to Hell" and "Wolverine's revenge"), X-Men ("The quest for Nightcrawler"), and on the Wolverine Spiderman mini series to be rather gloomy or forgetful. I also wasn't able to get past the first Scalped trade paperback as it was just too bitter and angry.

I have yet to read his run on Ghost Rider. I have the Punisher Max omnibus on my bookshelf somewhere.
I do agree with your point on the Spider-Man/Wolverine series, now that you mention it.

PunisherMAX is a great read, IMHO. I have the HC set of books so didn't get the omnibus. If you don't care for his religious undertones you may not like his Ghost Rider work. I haven't read Star Wars yet but I do have the first HC so plan to dig into that as it's been very well received.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

His Hulk run was miserable but I agree his Dr Strange has been amazing.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
His Hulk run was miserable but I agree his Dr Strange has been amazing.
Both Jason Aaron and Mark Waid, two of the best writers in comics, failed horribly on The Incredible Hulk. No explaining it.

If you like his Doctor Strange you really should pick up how Thor run if you haven't been reading it.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I see it now on eBay for around $60.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #10
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Unworthy Thor has been great so far.
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote