Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #521
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatikone View Post
Sorry you got a bad one, the eyes alone on my Batgirl are ridiculously good. I posted a pic a while back if you're curious.
I wouldn't say it's a bad one, she still looks great, just not as great as the prototype. Same issue with Poison Ivy, face looks good but doesn't pop like it does on the prototype...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #522
CtrlAltElite
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I dont know much about the character, and dont collect the females (although they are amazing) but Id Id def buy this. It's hot and sexy but badass and not over the top muscles or boobs. Crap, I might have just talked myself into buying it :/
CtrlAltElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #523
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I would like to think that SS will pay close attention to her face because it's the ONLY part of her that's exposed.

I don't have the Jean from SS. Was her face flatter in tones than the proto?
No not imo, look 90% or more to proto.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #524
Silverine
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I think SS will look much better than 80%. Their recent pieces have indicated the QC is definitely much better as a whole...Hulk PF head issue not withstanding. I just received my Pinhead PF last week and it turned out quite impressive...but indeed a little on the small side (in comparison with other 1/4 PFs...but still bigger than the first Green Lantern PF from SS).
I think sideshow really improved since redsonja so yea I think this one will be atleast 90% gogo sideshow TBH I love statue wars all companies need too prove they are the best haha. Cant be wrong for us right?
Silverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #525
enigmatikone

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I wouldn't say it's a bad one, she still looks great, just not as great as the prototype. Same issue with Poison Ivy, face looks good but doesn't pop like it does on the prototype...
Opinion noted, agree to disagree since it is subjective, but no individual production piece is going to receive the level of attention from an artist like Kat Sapene. I like that Sideshow has started showing production pictures pre-release, so we can see how much of the original work survived the transition to production.
As much as I love XM's paint apps, their female faces are a bit simplistic and could do with some improvement.
enigmatikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #526
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatikone View Post
Opinion noted, agree to disagree since it is subjective, but no individual production piece is going to receive the level of attention from an artist like Kat Sapene.
As much as I love XM's paint apps, their female faces are a bit simplistic and could do with some improvement.
I agree with you on XM female portraits, they defiantly need to improve in that area... It's a little bazaar since their latest male portraits look outstanding... I will say the new XM Catwoman portraits look pretty awesome so here's hoping things will change for the better.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #527
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by siren3-4 View Post
I don't understand people making this argument. Didn't you pay almost double for the XM statue?
Yes, XM Phoenix is more, but it's imported so more shipping is factored into that. And in the case of Phoenix XM has a larger statue, so essence, "you get more". Yeah, it's bigger for just the base, but that still makes it a larger statue and for many of us is part of the statues appeal.

I'm not sure if you've been able to follow any of the mishaps sent to me from ss but I almost always get the short end of the stick to the point I'm not trying as much as I used to with them, so for me, that's part of it. I don't trust them to always send me a quality product based on my experiences. At least with XM I have better chances and as minor as it may be the packaging is perfect. THIS IS JUST BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE THOUGH. I don't expect anybody to agree.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #528
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Only speaking for me (duh), I gave SS props on the head sculpt. It's very well done. I wish they had actually attempted a totally new look for the EX head (gotta give XM credit there -- each head is totally different) but they didn't.

BUT that base is being hindered by the stupid silver disc. She looks like she's a danger room simulation!!
I love both head sculpts. I see the exclusive as the "calm before the storm." There is a glimpse of Jean still there, but you can tell DP is about to take over in the angered brow. I thought that was really a nice touch.

The regular, angry head is just soul-less, static and scary.

It is weird, because when I look at the base, all I see is the Phoenix emerging and engulfing it. I have no problem with the silver part. It was a simple way to finish off the bird and fire too.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #529
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Okay...and how much to get it from the approved territories to your door? Another collector mentioned it cost them $850 or $875, which is reasonable, but that's double the difference. And assuming your extra costs were nominal, how many collectors get this same hook-up if they weren't on board day one? If you bought two, would you sell one for anywhere near the "$100-$150" more?

The part where you say "keep in mind you get the best QC on the market and a lot of extras to boot" is more than sufficient an argument. I don't understand the need to pretend that the price disparity doesn't exist. I don't have a Phoenix, and on Thursday I can either spend $500 + $40 shipping on Sideshow's, or look around and possibly find the XM Phoenix for $1000-$1200 + $100 shipping, if I'm lucky. That's double, and that's the relevant price point going forward. Repeating that it's "only" $150 more is like me telling people who want the new Spidey PF that the comiquette is a way better buy because it retailed at $350. The fact that some people got it for $350 in 2010 is irrelevant because most would have to pay $1200-1500 today.

While you were savvy enough, quick enough, or lucky enough to pay $650 for Phoenix, that's not the going rate for that piece right now, and the going rate is the relevant price point for comparison for the majority of collectors going forward. There was a very brief window for a select few to nab the XM Phoenix for retail price, while Sideshow's Phoenix, taking the regular in consideration, will be available at $500 for a long time, even on the after-market. That's why, despite price hikes, Sideshow pieces will continue to sell. It's a $500 Phoenix vs a $1000+ Phoenix, not $500 vs what you paid.
Absolutely...but I am of a different breed that doesn't believe in price gouging people. I'd even sell it for cost plus how much it cost me to ship it to whereever it needed to go.

As far as how much it costs, I don't pretend there is no disparity in price between the said products....but I think it unfair when you are bringing up prices of a product at PO time vs. after market pricing. Just about any quality and RARE (that is the big word here for me) collectible statue goes up significantly in value after it has been out on the market for some time.

I think it sad that some who like XM products can never acquire it due to licensing restrictions and price gouging aftermarket sellers. But have you ever looked at others situation outside of US when trying to buy SS products? They face the same thing you are bringing up with buying XM or any other company's (non-US) product.

Here is the kicker for me...if I was not in the US...and had the choice or chance to buy an XM or SS product....I would go with the XM in a heartbeat because I know the quality will be there, plus I get lots more goodies and more solid packaging to boot....AND YES ALL THAT IS IMPORTANT. The bottom line is....I would be paying top dollar for either SS or XM product. Instead of just paying $550+ dollars for SS Phoenix....I would be paying $850 dollars or however much it costs to get a product of this value overseas.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #530
enigmatikone

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I agree with you on XM female portraits, they defiantly need to improve in that area... It's a little bazaar since their latest male portraits look outstanding... I will say the new XM Catwoman portraits look pretty awesome so here's hoping things will change for the better.
I would love to get my hands on that XM Catwoman.
That is a grail in the making imo.
enigmatikone is offline   Reply With Quote