Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

View Poll Results: Which statue of Jean Grey do *YOU* like best?
I prefer the Premium Format statue from Sideshow! 0 0%
I like the Full Size statue of Bowen Designs best! 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #11
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

You lose, Sinister. This is my mind -- my soul -- my life -- and I mean to keep them to myself!
- Jean Grey

Rainer
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #12
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

You constantly remember Phoenix, Scott. And Madelyne Pryor. There are all these negative images of women who you thought were me at various times, and all their memories are marching around your mind wearing this outfit. But I'm here with you, I'm standing right in front of you, and I'm tired of their ghosts. I claimed the name "Phoenix" as part of a plan to claim this identity. To empower myself. I'm tired of suppressing my abilities just because I'm afraid that exploring them might upset you.
- Jean Grey

Rainer
Old 10-23-2016, 06:58 AM   #13
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

LOL!
Thanks for checking out this thread Nbr3; I guess this will teach me not to start a new review without having uploaded the related pictures yet.

I hope you will like the pictures and please feel free to share any thoughts or comments which you might have regarding these two statues of Jean Grey.

Thanks!

Rainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Is this like a game of hide and seek? I don't see any Jean Grey's in the picture.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #14
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

My Verdict

Even though both statues from Sideshow and Bowen Designs differ in various aspects (pose, size, design) they also have one important factor in common: in themselves they are each great representations of one of the most iconic X-Men ever.
Anyone looking to add a statue of Jean to their collection can not go wrong with either of these statues.
That is not to say that both statues score exactly the same or that both statues are interchangeable.
While both statues are great tributes to Jean and would look great in any collection, they also each bring something different and unique to the table.
Which statue would look best in your collection would depend on your personal preference and what you would be looking for in a statue of Jean.

In my verdict below I will not so much comment on the strengths and flaws of each statue separately but much more compare the busts with each other to see how they score in comparison.
The goal is not to conclude which statue is the absolute best (that may be different for you and me) but only to indicate what I like about these statues and where I feel there is possibly room for improvement.
For each criterium I will, if possible, point out one bust which scored the highest and explain why in relation to the other statue.

Of course there is nothing more personal than pointing out the merits and flaws of any statue or bust and your mileage may vary from my scores below.
I will give it my best shot however and hope you will find my views understandable and useful even if you’d feel differently than I do.
Should you feel differently though please let me know and please feel free to let me know as well which statue *YOU* like best!
With that in mind and without further delay ladies and gentlemen, please find below the verdict of the jury:

Sculpt: Jean Grey FS from Bowen Designs
Both statues are sculpted very well and show in a (semi-) action pose.
The Premium Format from Sideshow shows Jean using her powers of telepathy and telekinesis and with a bit of imagination you can almost see her lifting some heavy objects or reading the minds of anyone foolish enough to threaten the fate of the world.
I like the fact that Jean is bringing two fingers of her right hand to her temple and has her left arm stretched out. To me this shows that Jean is concentrating and is using her powers to the max.
The statue is not a static, 'boring' statue though: there is motion included in the statue with Jean walking forward leaning slightly to the right with her upperbody turned to the right.
It's great to look at the statue and the sculpt makes Jean almost come to life which really is no mean feat.
That being said I have chosen the full size statue from Bowen Designs as the winner in this category.
The reason is that the FS contains the same elements of action but adds an element of playfullness, of being fully in control of incredible powers, yes, an element of supremacy to the mix.
We see Jean using her powers again but in such an almost heedless way that it makes you realize how incredibly powerful Jean really is.
The PF from Sideshow shows Jean at work using her powers, the FS from Bowen Designs shows that Jean is in control and can playfully use her powers any way she wants without any effort.
Jean Grey truly is an omega-level mutant and IMHO the sculpt from Bowen Designs has captured this truth in the most convincing way.

Paint & Mixed Media: Draw
Both statues are painted flawlessly as far as I can see. The paintjob is neat and well done and I have no complaint whatsoever with either statue.
Neither statue has mixed media included in the sense that the clothes on both statues are sculpted; I do think though that the FS from Bowen Designs uses different material for the purple telekinetic waves supporting Jean (does not look like polystone)
I have the idea that the yellow color used for Jean's costume is a bit darker on the PF from Sideshow compared to the yellow color used on the FS from Bowen Designs. The blue color differs as well: on the FS from Bowen Designs it has more of a shiny, metallic look whereas the blue used on the PF from Sideshow is more matte.
Both color schemes look great though and the way I see it one of the schemes is not better or more preferable than the other. I like them both and reckon that it will be up to your personal preference which you like best.

Design: Jean Grey FS from Bowen Designs
As stated previously both statues have a dynamic feel to them and both statues show us Jean in action using her incredible powers.
The essence of Jean being an omega-level mutant and being one of the most powerful X-Men ever is captured well in both sculpts.
Each statue has its own, unique design and each statue can offer you just the thing you are looking for in a statue of Jean.
Jean is furthermore depicted as a beautiful and athletic young woman that she is with silky smooth long red/brown hair and it's easy to see why both Scott as well as Logan fell in love with her.
Still I believe the design of the FS from Bowen Designs has an advantage over the PF from Sideshow caused by the increased dynamics in the pose and base.
The PF looks great with Jean walking towards her target while using her powers but te FS from Bowen Designs goes one step further.
I love the purple telekinetic waves which support Jean since they are a striking example of her powers. Jean's powers really become visible whereas with the PF they are not as directly shown.
Besides Jean's pose is playful as if she is flying like a bird in the air, cheerful and in full control of her powers.
I really like that since it shows to me once more how powerful Jean really is.
The PF has a great design but the FS has an extraordinary design; I think that states the difference between both designs best.

Production & Build Quality: Jean Grey FS from Bowen Designs
Both statues are built to last and with a bit of TLC both statues will take their proud place in your collection for a long time to come.
Both statues have a solid enough feel and are constructed well.
I do have a small problem with the PF of Sideshow though: Jean's right foot is not touching the base but is hovwering one or two millimeters in the air.
I do not mind too much since Jean is walking and with a bit of imagination you could say that she has not completely finished her step yet.
Still, I do not think the statue was designed this way and that's why I am deducting some points for the PF here.
The FS from Bowen Designs has no such issues fortunately even though I have heard it is possible that the telekinetic waves on the bases can loose their form in some
circumstances and collapse a bit.
Take care of these statues though and I am certain they will also take care of you.

Please feel free to let me know in case you agree or disagree with my views and thank you for reading this review.
More of these reviews will follow in the (near) future so please drop by to check out the review section regularly!

Have a good day!

Rainer
Old 10-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #15
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Great format, Rainer. Keep it up!

I'm with you, I prefer the Bowen piece (both are nice, though).
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:16 PM   #16
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Hi Bmutha,
thanks for the kind words; I appreciate it!
You are absolutely right: I like both pieces very much and am a proud owner of both the FS as well as the PF of Jean.
If I would ever have to choose however and could keep only one piece it would be the FS by Bowen Designs.
The PF is great but the FS is extraordinary; all of course IMHO!

Rainer