Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #21
Mat Cauthon
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicJesus View Post
There isn't a whole lot on the horizon, but there is a lot I would like to see from Sideshow in Premium Format.
Moon Knight
Cable
Agent Venom
Iron Fist
Ghost Rider
Black Bolt
Foolkiller (Marvel Now!)
Nightcrawler

I understand some of these characters aren't the most mainstream, but I do feel like they have been neglected recently by Sideshow and even other companies. Some characters have a million different figures available (looking at you Iron Man...)
If they priced some of these statues right, and avoid Groot prices, I think they could be a big hit.
I assume you're excluding XM? I think they've got Moon Knight, Cable, and Iron Fist coming up. And they've just done one of the greatest Ghost Riders I've ever seen. Black Bolt was pretty incredible, too, and that came out last year.

Agent Venom sounds like a job for Prime 1.

I agree, I'd like to see these from Sideshow. But there are so many I want it's hard to choose what I want to see most.

And I'm always in the mood for another Nightcrawler. I had the Sideshow Comiquette and the old Bowen piece. Sadly, I ended up trading the former for a pot-bellied pig and lost the latter in a card game.
Mat Cauthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #22
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
There isn't a whole lot on the horizon, but there is a lot I would like to see from Sideshow in Premium Format.
Moon Knight
Cable
Agent Venom
Iron Fist
Ghost Rider
Black Bolt
Foolkiller (Marvel Now!)
Nightcrawler

I understand some of these characters aren't the most mainstream, but I do feel like they have been neglected recently by Sideshow and even other companies. Some characters have a million different figures available (looking at you Iron Man...)
If they priced some of these statues right, and avoid Groot prices, I think they could be a big hit.
I think with the current increases most companies are seeing most some of the more "niche" characters just aren't feasible.

Ghost Rider, Cable, Nightcrawler and Ironfist are all possible I'd think. The other's not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Cauthon View Post
I assume you're excluding XM? I think they've got Moon Knight, Cable, and Iron Fist coming up. And they've just done one of the greatest Ghost Riders I've ever seen. Black Bolt was pretty incredible, too, and that came out last year.

I agree, I'd like to see these from Sideshow. But there are so many I want it's hard to choose what I want to see most.

And I'm always in the mood for another Nightcrawler. I had the Sideshow Comiquette and the old Bowen piece. Sadly, I ended up trading the former for a pot-bellied pig and lost the latter in a card game.
I think their Cable and Ironfist look great. As much as everyone loves that GR I could never have paid what they wanted for it with those flames, they didn't sit right with me both in material and paint. The sculpt however was amazing.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #23
COI

Seems like Sideshow is done with showing previews and teasers for stuff that's far off, and that's a good thing. Also, it seems like they're more into springing stuff on us out of nowhere these days, which I also think is good because it's a great way to generate excitement.

Nothing creates unrealistic expectations and kills hype more than seeing a teaser, then having to wait 18 months for a full reveal.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #24
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Seems like Sideshow is done with showing previews and teasers for stuff that's far off, and that's a good thing. Also, it seems like they're more into springing stuff on us out of nowhere these days, which I also think is good because it's a great way to generate excitement.

Nothing creates unrealistic expectations and kills hype more than seeing a teaser, then having to wait 18 months for a full reveal.
I think you're right. They may show things in videos, like they did Thanos with the art, and Venom, just sculpts in progress. But as far as Teasers of project they probably only show what's coming for PO within 5 months or so and only PO what's within 12 months of shipping. Which is a good thing.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #25
Mat Cauthon

I don't know if I consider it a good thing. I can see how it would be considered a good thing, but it doesn't work as well for me. I have an X amount of money I budget for statues. Teases let me know that a company has something coming out that I might like. As soon as I see the tease, I can budget specifically for the piece if it's really a character I want. If the piece doesn't end up great, so be it. At least I've got the money to spend on a statue I like.

Because XM and Prime seem fine with teases, now the majority of my money I save up will be put towards those. That's great for me, but not as much so fro Sideshow, with regards to my business.

I mean I hate long wait times like everyone else. But in truth, they actually help me out.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #26
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:

Yeah, I mean Sideshow. I'm in Canada and the prices for a lot of the XM stuff is just outrageous. A lot of nice pieces, but the prices are just too much. The Cable and Ghost Rider XM statues are masterpieces. I also think XM is doing a Moon Knight.

It seems like Sideshow is going in the same direction with their prices, which is why I said they should avoid Groot prices on B-list characters. I also realize I listed some C-list characters lol.
ComicJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #27
COI

Quote:
I don't know if I consider it a good thing. I can see how it would be considered a good thing, but it doesn't work as well for me. I have an X amount of money I budget for statues. Teases let me know that a company has something coming out that I might like. As soon as I see the tease, I can budget specifically for the piece if it's really a character I want. If the piece doesn't end up great, so be it. At least I've got the money to spend on a statue I like.

Because XM and Prime seem fine with teases, now the majority of my money I save up will be put towards those. That's great for me, but not as much so fro Sideshow, with regards to my business.

I mean I hate long wait times like everyone else. But in truth, they actually help me out.
I see where you're coming from, but I think with Sideshow specifically, this would have been more of an issue 5 years ago than it is now.

There's still a 2-6 month lead time on most things. And in the current market, Sideshow pieces are no longer either selling quickly or hard to get post-release for the most part. Even when a piece is listed, you have at least a month before the edition size is even set, and then several months after that to decide and budget.

The flip side is what they used to do, which is release teasers that were sometimes years too early, and in some cases on projects that never came to fruition, so people were left on the hook and disappointed.

There's a balance to be struck for sure.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #28
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Yeah, I mean Sideshow. I'm in Canada and the prices for a lot of the XM stuff is just outrageous. A lot of nice pieces, but the prices are just too much. The Cable and Ghost Rider XM statues are masterpieces. I also think XM is doing a Moon Knight.

It seems like Sideshow is going in the same direction with their prices, which is why I said they should avoid Groot prices on B-list characters. I also realize I listed some C-list characters lol.
They are doing Moon Knight but I dislike it intensely...which is why I try to avoid discussing it.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #29
Mat Cauthon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
They are doing Moon Knight but I dislike it intensely...which is why I try to avoid discussing it.
I know I shouldn't, but I've got to ask. Why do you view it with such disdain? Is it because he's crouching down? I do admit I like the standing tall pose of the Bowen better.

I had both the White and Silver editions from Bowen, but my white one was sold by mistake. I was not a pleased person.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #30
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
I know I shouldn't, but I've got to ask. Why do you view it with such disdain? Is it because he's crouching down? I do admit I like the standing tall pose of the Bowen better.

I had both the White and Silver editions from Bowen, but my white one was sold by mistake. I was not a pleased person.
Not at all, it's the sculpt. It reminds me of a cross between Rag man and Scarecrow more than Moon Knight.

Bowen's moon knight was fantastic. It looked exactly as it should. I get you want to add detail to a 1/4 sculpt but there is such a thing as taking it too far. And XM jumped over that line and into the grand canyon.