Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Digital Photography

Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #21
Upitnik
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

And now a couple of color photos. Next time it will be some statues I promise.

Last edited by Upitnik; 05-24-2009 at 06:39 AM. Reason: bandwidth
Upitnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #22
Upitnik

Old 04-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #23
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Man, those are some beautiful pictures! I have only had my Canon 40D for a little less than a year but I am sold on this camera. I've been doing some research on it and it's an amazing piece of technology. I'm going to run off to B&H and get one.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #24
Averone
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
Man, those are some beautiful pictures! I have only had my Canon 40D for a little less than a year but I am sold on this camera. I've been doing some research on it and it's an amazing piece of technology. I'm going to run off to B&H and get one.
I agree, havent done any research on it. Where is the best place to get one? How much is it?
Averone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #25
Upitnik

Every piece of info on this camera ever.

I would just accentuate one thing: if you want the maximum out of the camera you need the best glass which, trust me, doesn't always mean the most expensive.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/c...5d2_3d_7d.html
Old 04-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #26
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by averone View Post
I agree, havent done any research on it. Where is the best place to get one? How much is it?
In my opinion the best place to get this from is B&H Photo. They are fantastic and they have everything and that really does mean, EVERYTHING. Their prices are great. I work around the corner from them so I can just walk over. They have an internet store. The 5D Mark II, camera body only, is $2699. The kit with 24-105 f/4L IS USM lens is $3499. The kit is an excellent bargain as the lens alone would set you back $1059, so you save over $200 with the kit.

Last edited by Zurbaran1; 04-04-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #27
Upitnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
In my opinion the best place to get this from is B&H Photo. They are fantastic and they have everything and that really does mean, EVERYTHING. Their prices are great. I work around the corner from them so I can just walk over. They have an internet store. The 5D Mark II, camera body only, is $2699. The kit with 24-105 f/4L IS USM lens is $3499. The kit is an excellent bargain as the lens alone would set you back $1059, so you save over $200 with the kit.

Its a good bargain but not a great lens, I use to have it on my 30D and it performed adequately but on this monster it falls back quite a bit. I sold it.

Another review.

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff...non_24105_4_5d
Old 04-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #28
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Upitnik, I am curious. What lenses do you use and recommend?
Old 04-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #29
Upitnik

As far as recommendations go its pointless since every lens has its purpose and its difficult to exclude one so I'll just explain what I use, why and when if thats O.K. Now that doesn't mean you can't use whatever lens for whatever intention and sometimes thats what happens but I'm simply telling what their usual objective is.

For full body shots, and indoor shots:

I use a 50mm f/1.4 prime not the 50mm f/1.2L since the former performs better from f/2.8 and on and prior to 2.8 its a marginal difference but I do not exclude the posibillity of testing a poor copy of the L lens but my 1.4 is quite astonishing in every aspect. It only needed a small microfocus adjustment via the 5D.

These ones are for outside shots and for isolation shots:

I use the 135L prime and this is the best lens I have ever used. Its simply great wide open. But indoors its a little tight unless you have a big home.

I have the 100mm f/2.8 MACRO as well which is also great but hunts in low light so its best for what its made - MACRO.

Next are not mine but I borrow them, because they are great, from my uncle until I gather up the doe for the first one, second one is further down on my list of acquirements, if ever.

The 14mm f/2.8 L II and the 70-200L f/2.8 IS version.

As far as the 14mm goes I would even like to get the Sigma 12-24 zoom for the extra 2mm in the wide end but its a gamble since QC with this one leaves to be desired. The 70-200mm is my necessary evil as it is frikin' huge and difficult to lug around but when time is of the essence end you're shooting events such as weddings you need the versatility it can offer.

I have used a lot of other lenses but this is my current line up.

I want to add that I don't care for lenses where you have to stop way down like 2-3 stops in order to get great pics which is a trademark for zooms but some zooms are not bad by any means but for this kind of sensor resolution you need the best glass. Please forgive me as I don't want to appear a snob who shouts only L glass unfortunately its usually true, for example my 24-105L lens gave great results at f/5.6 - 8 which is O.K. if you don't need wider but I do so it had to go. And lets take the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lens, a super lens but at 300mm its 5.6 and if you want best results you have to stop to f/8 - 11 and that is just too much for my use.

So to summarize, zooms are great for their versatility and some offer very good image quality at the expense of speed but when you get further down the road its all about IQ and those are usually L primes.

And just one more thing: sharpness is not the most crucial thing, don't get too involved with that one, contrast, saturation, vignetting, aberrations of various kinds, speed, AF, even weight are all the things that in real life matter much more, at least to me. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #30
Upitnik

To demonstrate what I mean about people getting obsessed with sharpness these pics are ISO 3200 wide open at f/1.4 out of the camera jpegs, NOT RAW! And this is way soft, trust me, so this is as bad as it gets. And still perfectly acceptable images, to me of course. People tend to lose themselves in technical crap and forget to just go out and take photos.

Last edited by Upitnik; 05-24-2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Bandwidth