Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #1341
ovp3664
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
That could very well be true, but once collectors hear the word vinyl, plastic, PVC etc, they're predisposed to dislike it. I myself am the same, as for when I think of a statue, I think of something with a bit of heft, and not something that a child could hold with ease, as we know is the case with this figure. I know it's a psychological reason, but it is what it is.

Personally I think the above materials and various forms of translucent resins are better used for movie representations as imo they can better achieve actor likenesses, and more lifelike skin representation, over something like Polystone. However because we sometimes associate such materials to toys etc, you'll tend to hear comments that it looks plastic, cheap etc, even though in a lot of cases it's probably done a better job at skin representation than Polystone.
ovp3664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #1342
JamesJ
Doh!

Quote:
That could very well be true, but once collectors hear the word vinyl, plastic, PVC etc, they're predisposed to dislike it. I myself am the same, as for when I think of a statue, I think of something with a bit of heft, and not something that a child could hold with ease, as we know is the case with this figure. I know it's a psychological reason, but it is what it is.
Which is odd, this is quite a hefty statue, base included, I wouldn't feel comfortable having a child handle it much, it's more delicate in some respects ... certainly more so than my real bronze figures, ... but I can just as easily picture a kid holding a polystone figure ... most of the figures discussed on this forum are very much of a child-like nature when you get right down to it.

Quote:
Personally I think the above materials and various forms of translucent resins are better used for [...] more lifelike skin representation, over something like Polystone. However because we sometimes associate such materials to toys etc, you'll tend to hear comments that it looks plastic, cheap etc, even though in a lot of cases it's probably done a better job at skin representation than Polystone.
I agree, OR with organic materials (like plant matter) ...
JamesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #1343
oddlysober
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Wow, it's awesome we are getting Cranius to go along with Swampy. I wonder if Arcane is something we can look forward to in the near future.
oddlysober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #1344
BurningRage
Inhumans

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddlysober View Post
Wow, it's awesome we are getting Cranius to go along with Swampy. I wonder if Arcane is something we can look forward to in the near future.
I think the low es for this ended that chance.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #1345
oddlysober

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovp3664 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
I think the low es for this ended that chance.
Darn it.
oddlysober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #1346
runesr2
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_s_ramos View Post
Pictures by Scott Dozer
I fully agree - this statue does benefit from natural light, unfortunately I don't have a lot of natural light in my man cave. I'm considering using some spotlights - much like Sideshow did when showing the statue at San Diego Comic Con 2017.

Awesome photos by the way!
runesr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #1347
prototypy

Mine is on the way,will post some nice photos in the other forum after two weeks.
prototypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #1348
Sandman585
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototypy View Post
Mine is on the way,will post some nice photos in the other forum after two weeks.
Awesome. Thank you and can't wait to see.
Sandman585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #1349
JamesJ
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runesr2 View Post
I fully agree - this statue does benefit from natural light, unfortunately I don't have a lot of natural light in my man cave.
If there is one thing that sideshow are really good at, it is how they light & photograph their product .. they really sell it.

JamesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #1350
The Batman Professor
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Mine arrives next Tuesday, and I can't wait!
The Batman Professor is offline   Reply With Quote