Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #14601
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
couldn't agree with you more. i thought the acting was fine. and lets be honest. the actors they used in this film aren't all that well known. at least to me. Hannibal was the only superstar in this film. i did recognize the Major from another film (slips my mind at the momment). but i like it when films dont use main stream super stars in these kinds of films. it keeps it extremely fresh. at least for me personally it does. and yes. i too thought the scientists were good in the film.
well said Luminous.
Idris Elba. He was also Heimdall in Thor, and Captain Janek in Promethius.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #14602
protector2814
Phoenix

Grown Ups 2 - 4.5/10 - My kids outvoted me on this one. I found it pretty horrible, but it was a flick aimed at them, not me. Farts, boobs, puke, adults as fools, cute women, and a few earned laughs.

Lone Ranger 8/10 - I guess audiences just don' "get" these older, classic heroes. I really liked this movie & found both Depp & Hammer made a great team. This and John Carter not doing well, even though I found them both to be pretty solid movies, have me panicked for the potential success of Shane Black's Doc Savage. You need the slower pacing to pull off these flicks, & I think today's movie audiences just don't get that.

This Is 40 - 6.5/10 - Had high hopes for this one, but it was just too damned long & involved for me. Great situations & jokes were buried under heavy handed writing. I happen to really like Judd Apatow' movies & the other films that circle his world, but this one just didn't quite work for me. "Faith" was the missing element for me. W/ all the troubles, trials, laugh & love demonstrated throughout this film, the family's lack of faith in themselves and what brought them together in the 1st place, kinda felt needed.

The Tingler (1959) - 8/10 - William Castle's very creepy, wacky, intense at times, B&W semi-masterpiece is hard to even explain. It feels like an Ed Wood movie only w/ Vincent Price drinking coffee al the time. Also, for the comic lover here, feels a hell of a lot like an old EC' Horror comic book.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #14603
patrickwm68
The Flash

Jack the Giant Slayer 8.5/10. Really enjoyed this one.

Warm Bodies, 7/10. I liked the new take on the zombie genre.

Ted 7/10. I haven't laughed this hard at a movie in a long time.

Beautiful Creatures, 6/10. Kinda Twilight-ish.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #14604
Relic
The Herculoids

The Host 7/10
Identity Thief 7/10
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #14605
StatueJunky
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Pacific Rim 9/10 best movie I've seen this year.
StatueJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #14606
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Pacific Rim - 9/10

Del Toro always seems to find a way to craft an immersive world that completely appeals to my sensibilities and piques my curiosity. The fight choreography, cinematography, brilliantly entertaining set pieces and sheer scale of the action in this film is simply jaw dropping. The human characters were well developed with interesting backstories, which is no small feat given what they had to share screen time with. This is Summer spectacle filmmaking at its best. It succeeds where films like Independence Day, Godzilla, Transformers, Clash of the Titans and Battleship have failed. I don't actually feel dumber after watching it. There are no annoying human characters, no forced love story, no unnecessary humor and it has a narrative that is fairly tight yet never takes itself too seriously. This is just a fun ride and easily one of the best times I've had at the cinema all year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Pacific Rim 6/10. Impressive visuals lacking any real heart IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I don't think we saw the same movie.
Yeah I thought it had plenty of heart. So did my girlfriend who is usually hard to please when it comes to films like these. She even went as far as to say she was surprised at the amount of emotion and character depth given the subject matter and was her favorite film we've seen all year.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #14607
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post

Yeah I thought it had plenty of heart. So did my girlfriend who is usually hard to please when it comes to films like these. She even went as far as to say she was surprised at the amount of emotion and character depth given the subject matter and was her favorite film we've seen all year.
The scene when she was a little girl in the city looking for her parents was very powerful I thought.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #14608
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post

The Tingler (1959) - 8/10 - William Castle's very creepy, wacky, intense at times, B&W semi-masterpiece is hard to even explain. It feels like an Ed Wood movie only w/ Vincent Price drinking coffee al the time. Also, for the comic lover here, feels a hell of a lot like an old EC' Horror comic book.

When the movie was originally shown in theaters, some of the theaters were set up with electric shocks in the seats and they would do shocks at certain points in the movie.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #14609
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Pacific Rim - 9/10

Del Toro always seems to find a way to craft an immersive world that completely appeals to my sensibilities and piques my curiosity. The fight choreography, cinematography, brilliantly entertaining set pieces and sheer scale of the action in this film is simply jaw dropping. The human characters were well developed with interesting backstories, which is no small feat given what they had to share screen time with. This is Summer spectacle filmmaking at its best. It succeeds where films like Independence Day, Godzilla, Transformers, Clash of the Titans and Battleship have failed. I don't actually feel dumber after watching it. There are no annoying human characters, no forced love story, no unnecessary humor and it has a narrative that is fairly tight yet never takes itself too seriously. This is just a fun ride and easily one of the best times I've had at the cinema all year.

well said. couldn't agree with you more HB.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #14610
abarron
Batman

Resident Evil: Retribution 3/10

The Resi movies are never going to win oscars and i've liked the others i've seen but i just didn't really see the point in this.
Just looked to be used to connect 4 and 6 together
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote