Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-28-2021, 07:59 PM   #1
Agent_J.Warren
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
Adamantium Member

Completing Collections and Collector Fatigue/Grief

I'm currently trying to finish Sideshow's X-Men line, along with a few choice XM Studios pieces. I'm starting to feel discouraged. I'm also beginning to develop a hatred for collecting in general. Mainly because nearly everything I've attempted to collect is a hassle.

On average, 9 of every 10 statues I've purchased has been damaged or defective. Sometimes it even takes multiple replacements. It even got to the point where I stopped collecting statues entirely for a while because this hobby became too stressful. Same experience with comic books. Same experience with art. Well, recently I got back into collecting...I decided to start picking up limited edition art books and albums from my favorite ladies, Mamamoo. I kid you not... It's literally the same thing again, only a different beast. You spend 400 USD on an artbook and it gets crushed during shipping. You pick up a retired, sealed album and it's missing content or the cardboard case is cracked.

And now... Here I am... Wanting to finish the X-Men line. I've got four statues left to get -this, including Storm and Scarlet Witch... And I'm so discouraged. I'm honestly annoyed and miserable about it all. Because at the end of the day I know that I'm going to have to deal with a replacement for they single one of them... And while I enjoy looking at my display wall ... I can't help but hold resentment, thinking of the hassle it took to get to this point.

Does this just happen in general after a while or do I simply have horrible luck?
Agent_J.Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:44 PM   #2
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I don't believe it is possible to collect anything with out a few hassles or set back. It is part of the journey to that perfect collection.

However, you should not be feeling miserable about something that brings joy into your life.

I've felt stressed about the fact that I can not afford to collect a statue before, but not so much about the replacement part of the hobby.

Maybe my luck has been really good, but so far my record is 1 out 6 Sideshow purchase need a replacement.
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:34 PM   #3
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Sounds to me you care more about collecting these things for “value” more than just legitimately liking/enjoying them. And that you’re REALLY picky when it comes to “defects.”

Anyway, it’s your life. None of us can answer for you. If it’s that exhausting/frustrating for you then it’s hard to believe it’s worth the effort you’re putting into it. Maybe it’s time to move on. You’re not missing out on anything if you do.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:05 PM   #4
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Wells, I guess I stopped because I started feeling miserable because everything kept arriving damage. So I stopped, regrouped and I'm dealing with the same thing again. I think I am a bit neurotic, however, I'm not saying items are arriving with minor issues. Items are arriving with wonky eyes, fingerprints in paint, photo books with crushed corners, etc. That's unacceptable to me. And no, sir, I'm not collecting for the value but I'm not going to pay 800 USD for trash. That's a ridiculous mentality to have. That's like paying for a brand new car with a d--- keyed into the side of it. But I do think you're right. I am ready to move on. I guess I was just hoping to finish the X-MEN line first. I have a lot of hesitation about it though.

I generally pre-order, those are the majority of my items with issues. Is it better to wait until it's been in production for a while?
Old 06-28-2021, 10:59 PM   #5
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_J.Warren View Post
Wells, I guess I stopped because I started feeling miserable because everything kept arriving damage. So I stopped, regrouped and I'm dealing with the same thing again. I think I am a bit neurotic, however, I'm not saying items are arriving with minor issues. Items are arriving with wonky eyes, fingerprints in paint, photo books with crushed corners, etc. That's unacceptable to me. And no, sir, I'm not collecting for the value but I'm not going to pay 800 USD for trash. That's a ridiculous mentality to have. That's like paying for a brand new car with a d--- keyed into the side of it. But I do think you're right. I am ready to move on. I guess I was just hoping to finish the X-MEN line first. I have a lot of hesitation about it though.

I generally pre-order, those are the majority of my items with issues. Is it better to wait until it's been in production for a while?
Not if you want a exclusive but like storm there is none..With sideshow there is no cost to you for a replacement (but time and hassle) and if your totally not happy you get a full refund.Anything you buy from cars to food can have problems that's the luck of the draw.
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:22 PM   #6
Peedi
The Secret Six

Most of what I get from sideshow arrives damaged or defective. I wish that wasn’t true and that I was exaggerating. But I feel it’s normal at this point to request replacement parts. And if I can’t get a replacement part deciding if the defect is worth keeping. And if it is then it’s deciding how I want to figure out what I’m doing from there…I went through some freaking hurdles to get a complete Rogue Maquette.

With comics I was kinda lucky. Primarily I’m a reader. I buy what truly interests me. But I keep them in long boxes. It wasn’t until maybe the year before last that I realized so many of my comics had increased in value. I went to my LCS and saw a short box with Detective 880 printed on it…”that looks familiar…I have that comic! Cool!” Then I thought to look up the value…wow, $180…then I started looking up other values from my collection. Turns out Ultimate Fallout #4 variant is my crown jewel. Thankfully I brought my comics as a fan and kept them in great condition. Go figure, the things I had absolutely 0 expectations for.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:34 PM   #7
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_J.Warren View Post

It’s not better to wait a while. Sometimes I genuinely forget to order a statue, I always have a lot going on. The risk you run is sideshow has no replacements.

And please believe, sideshow sends out other people’s returns that are damage. One statue in particular I received had a damaged and debris filled styrofoam carton obviously from being on someone’s dirty ass carpet, several broken pieces, pieces not in their original baggies/tissue paper, artbox wasn’t in the big plastic bag, obviously re-taped by the customer who returned it but not inspected by sideshow before sending out again so no Quality Seal… but I paid for a brand new, complete statue. Smh. And of course there were no replacement parts. Other industries it’s typically easier to get parts, but these are supposedly limited collectibles. I still say if an Exclusive arrives damaged then get a replacement part from the regulars you have sitting in stock. I have 0 faith in sideshow’s business practices. I love their sculpts but as a company they f*****g suck. If I could complete their survey a million times they’d get a 0 every time. I can only speak for my personal experiences, anybody who’s experienced different, great, but this is my experience.

Why do I keep buying them? Because as a long time comic reader I love the characters. And because at this point I figured out a few hoops to jump to get what I want…sinister sneer…
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:57 PM   #8
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Other than the first Tweeterhead Superman that was admittedly defective by Tweeterhead I haven’t had a problem with any item. Probably have 300-400 resin statues.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:01 AM   #9
Agent_J.Warren
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
...And please believe, sideshow sends out other people’s returns that are damage.

Why do I keep buying them? Because as a long time comic reader I love the characters. And because at this point I figured out a few hoops to jump to get what I want…sinister sneer…
I ABSOLUTELY believe you lol. And I am the same. I don't read the comics anymore unfortunately but still love the characters like they're close friends and family. I grew up with the X-Men and am only still collecting statues because of them. Once the line is finished, I am done. But yes...100 times, yes, they seriously do send out returned, damaged goods. My X-23 is a Frankenstein of parts.

I was so burned out upon receiving her though and I regret not getting a replacement for her at that time. I had been dealing with replacements for two other statues when she arrived (over a year ago), and I said screw it. She was my last Sideshow piece for a long time because of this. I then briefly switched over to XM which has far superior QC and paint app. SS really does have shady business practices.

Totally agree about their sculpts though. They have amazing sculpts. Paint is either flawless or a disaster but generally a disaster which is a shame. And there always tends to be something wonky going on with the statues received. At least from my experience
Old 06-29-2021, 12:03 AM   #10
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Other than the first Tweeterhead Superman that was admittedly defective by Tweeterhead I haven’t had a problem with any item. Probably have 300-400 resin statues.
Overall I'm about the same as you.

I can count on my fingers how many defects I've had with sideshow over the last 12 years. Most other companies have done well for me besides a couple mishaps.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote