Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-13-2021, 11:42 PM   #1161
Professor
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koflach View Post
For an extra $150-$250 to get a 3rd party, it's worth it to me.

Completely agree. This statue was such a big let down for me, the only good thing about it is Nova in the ex. I'm not a custom guy but after waiting so long for this and being completely disappointed I'm hunting down a good custom and will just have to eat the price difference because this one sucks so bad. I have to avoid this thread just so I'm not reminded about how much I'm disappointed in this. Hell I love my chrome Bowen 100 times more than this monstrosity. Ok I have to leave this thread feel my blood pressure rising from being here to long.

Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:50 PM   #1162
WalkerFodder
The X-Men

lol it's not that bad.

If you're looking for a dynamic surfer to be the centerpiece of your display, this obviously isn't it, but it's a good SS for space considerations.

I'd love for them to dial down the distance of his arm flare, but it's not that bad of an overall statue to me. Nova is a very nice bonus.
WalkerFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:33 AM   #1163
HBK83
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
And that's before shipping from China.
Pretty much.
Some of the fan art pieces are good and decent prices.
But some characters magneto , silver surfer, thanos etc... are priced crazy high

I just wish on this sideshow piece he had more of a lean forward or actual surf stance to show like he just came through the portal. It would have been perfect
HBK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:40 AM   #1164
Peedi
The Secret Six

Gotta agree with Walker. If one wanted a dynamic pose then yeah I can see this being a let down. But the Bowen being chrome (which is cool) aside, is also a museum pose, so comparing it to the Maquette, how is the Maquette a monstrosity? If this was chrome and had a smaller ES this Maquette would be loved and praised.

Nobody ever mentions the Bowen has flat feet on a round surface but I’ll let y’all have y’all glory with that one.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:00 AM   #1165
FJC
Midnighter

Bowen does a phenomenal job sculpting the Surfer. While his chrome museum Surfer is considered his best (I have it), his action Surfer is equally impressive to me (have that as well).

All that said, Bel's Surfer is fantastic IMO. Unfortunately, I have no room to display it. So, I'm going to have to pass on it. While I do wish his board was a bit longer, I still think it's an excellent Surfer statue.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #1166
pau123
Sailor Moon

I actually prefer not too chrome. Just like the Collossus color, I like the direction ss went.
pau123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #1167
Mister H
Youngblood

My only complaint is that the design is a little too form fitting around his junk.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:52 PM   #1168
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Sculpt is awesome

I love the paint they used on his skin . Much better than chrome all the time

My gripes are small board and the size of the portal opening makes no sense . If his board is inside of the portal then it should be bigger opening giving illusion the rest is coming out . This version looks like it’s almost closed with his board still inside? Odd.

It’s a nice piece and I like the footprint I think if this had bigger board it would appeal to more . As it’s number one item associated with the character
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #1169
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
Sculpt is awesome

I love the paint they used on his skin . Much better than chrome all the time

My gripes are small board and the size of the portal opening makes no sense . If his board is inside of the portal then it should be bigger opening giving illusion the rest is coming out . This version looks like it’s almost closed with his board still inside? Odd.

It’s a nice piece and I like the footprint I think if this had bigger board it would appeal to more . As it’s number one item associated with the character
You don’t say... First I’m hearing about it.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #1170
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
You don’t say... First I’m hearing about it.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote