Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 03-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #11
SickleClaw
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavehawk78 View Post
Looks like it’s finished. Killer Croc!
That was yours?

Wow, yeah it does look pretty incredible!
SickleClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #12
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickleClaw View Post
That was yours?

Wow, yeah it does look pretty incredible!
Yeah - I’m working on my Uminga Batman villains collection. Think I might get Manbat next.
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:45 PM   #13
cyberpunk12
Shadowhawk

Hey pavehawk... that Croc is outstanding. I hope you get Manbat!! I'd love to see it. Chris' style works so well with the Bat Rogues gallery.
cyberpunk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:08 PM   #14
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpunk12 View Post
Hey pavehawk... that Croc is outstanding. I hope you get Manbat!! I'd love to see it. Chris' style works so well with the Bat Rogues gallery.
Thanks! I love Chris’s art. I think this is my 16th piece that he did.
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #15
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

wow, the colors on the Killer Croc are incredible!
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #16
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
yep, I LOVE me some Uminga art but man I need more than an index card sized piece of art.

I have seen a few artists moving to this size and it does absolutely nothing for me.

Traditional size art is 11x17 (ish) and that is what I gravitate toward for commission offerings. I see these new tiny commissions more like the sketch card craze of a few years ago which didn't appeal to me (although I had to pick up a few Perna pieces).

If there is a market for the artists/collectors, more power to them.
Same. I think in the environment that we are in, artists are going to have to revisit their pricing strategies to incent buyers to have interest. Theres alot of commission collectors that are going to be hurting and those that will still have disposable income are going to be very discerning on where they spend their money.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:35 PM   #17
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
Same. I think in the environment that we are in, artists are going to have to revisit their pricing strategies to incent buyers to have interest. Theres alot of commission collectors that are going to be hurting and those that will still have disposable income are going to be very discerning on where they spend their money.

I sometimes wonder how the higher-priced commission market sustains itself, especially since the aftermarket for them is generally unkind.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #18
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I sometimes wonder how the higher-priced commission market sustains itself, especially since the aftermarket for them is generally unkind.
I think the people dropping $$$ on high priced commissions probably have enough $$$$$ that they are not even thinking about resale.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:49 PM   #19
SickleClaw
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I think the people dropping $$$ on high priced commissions probably have enough $$$$$ that they are not even thinking about resale.
I just have to say that for the high priced commissions I see some post, you could get a statue or even a really nice comic page at about that price. I think 300 would be my max, and only if its someone I really like. and I'd only really splurge higher for someone like Artgerm. Otherwise I couldnt see myself paying 700+.

I did look on some comic page websites and saw a lot of commissions from artists just sitting at/slightly below what the commissioner probably paid too.

And yeah, given this climate, when cons come back, I wonder if we will see some commission prices slightly drop.
SickleClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #20
statman
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
yep, I LOVE me some Uminga art but man I need more than an index card sized piece of art.

I have seen a few artists moving to this size and it does absolutely nothing for me.

Traditional size art is 11x17 (ish) and that is what I gravitate toward for commission offerings. I see these new tiny commissions more like the sketch card craze of a few years ago which didn't appeal to me (although I had to pick up a few Perna pieces).

If there is a market for the artists/collectors, more power to them.

Yeah, I agree. Not sure what the point of 5x7 (or smaller) is. I wouldn't want anything that size unless it's cheap. Even then, maybe not. That being said, if people other people dig it, more power to 'em.

I just prefer 11x17 or 11x14, so that you can get some detail in the art and actually be able to see it.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote