Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Digital Photography

Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Zombie
The unstoppable force has met the unmovable object

A Good All Purpose Lens?

so Zombies finally going to get a xsi (or if money permits, t1i)

but He also wants a good all purpose lens to go with it, but He's not sure which one to get.

can you guys suggest some lens's? is there any Zombie can get for less then $250?
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
dr_teng

I wrote up a buying guide for lenses before the holidays, it should give you some decent advice :

http://www.whatsyourobsession.com/ca...ssories-guide/

For your particular price range, start with the 50mm 1.8 then save up for the Tamron 28-75. I'd even sugget sticking with the XSi and buying both lenses over the T1i.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Zombie
The unstoppable force has met the unmovable object

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/pho/1563315176.html

would you consider that worth buying?
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
DRL
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

thanks for asking Zombie! i just bought the xsi and was wondering the exact same thing.

and thanks for the great buying guide dr teng! i think im going to go pick up the 50mm 1.8 today.
DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
DRL
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

oh and i too was contemplating between the t1i and xsi but decided to go with the xsi... it just seemed more practical for me since im just a noob at this photography stuff! i did like the fact that the t1i has the movie recording feature.
DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
cblakey1
Cyclops

For my t1i I have the 18-55 kit lens, a Canon 75-300, a Sigma 28-70, and a Canon 50 / 1.8.

The kit lens is the best multi-purpose because it has IS where the others don't. I find myself reaching for the 50 most of the time though because I love the pics it takes. I could kick myself in the ass for not bucking up another $250-300.00 for the 1.4 lens.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
dr_teng

The 50mm 1.4 is a fantastic lens and what I use as my primary, but I don't recommend it for people just starting out. Simply because you can use the 50mm 1.8 which is about 90% as good and resell it after a year or so for at least 80% of what you paid for it. That way, you'll know if you enjoy shooting with primes or with zooms.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
The 50mm 1.4 is a fantastic lens and what I use as my primary, but I don't recommend it for people just starting out. Simply because you can use the 50mm 1.8 which is about 90% as good and resell it after a year or so for at least 80% of what you paid for it. That way, you'll know if you enjoy shooting with primes or with zooms.
Agreed, but why not get the better one from the get-go. It has a metal mount, is USM and has a better manual focus. The 1.4 is heavier (vs. lighter, cheap plastic feel) and smoother autofocus.

IMO, 50mm is an all purpose lens that you should just have in your lens arsenal. Otherwise, the kit lens should cover all of bases and you don't have to spend a dime.

I've had my 1.8 for just over a month (which I purchased based on similar advice as yours) and already I'm ready for the better upgrade.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
dr_teng

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1 View Post
Agreed, but why not get the better one from the get-go.
Well for one, because it's nearly double Zombie's price range, haha. The earlier versions of the 50mm 1.8 had a metal mount too, though they're a little trickier to find. You have to resort to Ebay or local dealers.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
Well for one, because it's nearly double Zombie's price range, haha. The earlier versions of the 50mm 1.8 had a metal mount too, though they're a little trickier to find. You have to resort to Ebay or local dealers.
Only $100.00 more if bought from Amazon.

I wouldn't recommend buying someone's used one. Too many folks try to dump lenses with non-disclosed issues and camera shops don't discount them very much. I bought a lens from the 'Bay and not only did it have biological growth, but it had dust on the lens. Canon would'a charged the price I paid for it to fix it.

Anyway.. based on Zombies budget and your advice, he could get the 50mm 1.8 and the 28-75mm Sigma new for $200.00. That should keep Zombie happy for a long time.