Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 04-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Ken's holiday to Malaysia 2010

So it's been a little over a year and I've finally been able to organise my photos. Must of you probably knew that I really wasn't looking forward to it, the heat, humidity etc. On top of that, there were quite a few recent health issues that cropped up but nevertheless, these tickets (which were booked about 10months ago) meant that I could take over a week and a half off.
So we flew off on the 26th of March and landed in KL. The flight was pretty uncomfortable, Air Asia is cheap but what you pay for is what you get.
The view from my uncle's apartment, overlooking something of a slum where all the hired help stay.

Dig those infinity pools

The view from the guest bedroom.

Cosmic treadmill! Honestly, the apartment is almost like a resort.

Squat till you puke
blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
blink90210

Going back to my home town of Melaka.

This is not typical of all streets which are fairly well "westernised" now, but this is toward the city centre which is still a pretty big tourist hot spot.

The Christ-church, been around since 1752. Australia wasn't even founded by that time.

Melaka is on the coast, has a very rich history apparently. Obviously the ship is just for show.

Very narrow streets in this old part of the city, still in the tourist-y part as you can see.

More stuff to set the scenery.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
blink90210

walk-in denture clinic! Yes, this is STILL in the same tourist area, and in a pretty dodgy alley.

sooooooo bored, as mum and dad haggle over the price of fixing a bag....

A million ringgit for this.

The house I grew up in. Looks much the same as it did when we left over two decades ago.

No, I did not pull this from google maps

The park I use to run around. Ah the memories...really does bring me back to a different time.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
blink90210

In Melaka, we stayed with my Aunty who is pretty loaded. Here's a shot of the local shopping village.

South-East Asia is apparently well-known for its night markets. This was a pretty small one.

The food really isn't that healthy or that good in my opinion since they don't exactly have access to good quality ingredients.

Some fairly well-known Malaysian food, I think it's a bit of an acquired taste but I'd be interested to know if anyone here has had any of these.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
VinReaper
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Location: Out of my mind! Be back in 5 minutes! (+12517 to the Post Count)
Hey Ken!

Great pics! It must have been a blast from the past to see your old stomping grounds.

Malaysia looks like a beautiful place! I would definitely like to see it one day!

Did you hit any good restaurants? Where the locals eat to me are always the best!

SORRY!!! DID I INTERRUPT YOUR PIC POSTING!!!

Let me know if you want me to post a pic here to keep it contiguous!

VR
VinReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
blink90210

Aunty's kitchen. Don't think I've done a good job to show how grand it really is, separate wet and dry areas. Fancy even for my standards!

The RIDICULOUSLY large dog they have.

I'm more of a cat person. And apparently the small one is the fiercer one, but I was pretty scared to get near them, even through the glass and metal!

High ceilings and tiles, a must in the hot weather.

More fanciness in the form of this tea-drinking area.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
blink90210

My cousin works in this kindergarten...

looking out into more jungle area which is being prepared into more commercial and residential stuff. A bit sad really since Melaka is still not the concrete jungle that KL is. Plus, I like the picture, makes me look hardcore

Shrine in my grandparents' place. As a staunch Christian, I really oppose it but the vast majority of houses will have stuff like this, even bigger and flashier at times.

Dad and I, so tired by the end of it. Boy I needed a shave BADLY.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
blink90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinReaper View Post
Hey Ken!

Great pics! It must have been a blast from the past to see your old stomping grounds.

Malaysia looks like a beautiful place! I would definitely like to see it one day!

Did you hit any good restaurants? Where the locals eat to me are always the best!

SORRY!!! DID I INTERRUPT YOUR PIC POSTING!!!

Let me know if you want me to post a pic here to keep it contiguous!

VR
Don't sweat it, I'm done now!
It definately was a blast from the past, I actually remembered more than I thought I would. I go back every 4-5 years but due to the health issues of my relatives, this one gave us more of a chance to look at where we use to live and so on.

And you're right, where the locals go is usually the best, my dad's rule is to go where there's lots of people. But as I said, the quality of ingredients is pretty poor so don't be expecting anything too great.

Hope it at least was interesting for some of you guys to see the contrast between a place like KL which is almost like any modern city, and a quiet town like Melaka which is still largely untouched (for now...).

I may or may not be going again every year or so now, I think I could deal with an uncomfortable flight for 8hrs if it's cheap.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
abarron
Batman

Nice pics Ken.
That looks a fantastic pool
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
Mr. Kennedy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

awesome pics Ken, looks like you had alot of fun
Mr. Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote