Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #11
RadAsGhoul
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Oh, cool i understand - made up characters have to dress modestly, but letting teenagers watch all the modern female vocalists singing about WAPs etc, and dress up like them is fine cause its empowering. Funny times we live in
Old 10-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #12
worstgamerever
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

"modesty policy" I can't stop laughing . The woke brigade, ladies and gentlemen. The way the comic climate is changing is sorry to see
Old 10-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #13
IronLungs31
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

"Me Too" movement in full effect these days and now it has made its way into comics.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #14
Gerard
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstgamerever View Post
"modesty policy" I can't stop laughing . The woke brigade, ladies and gentlemen. The way the comic climate is changing is sorry to see
If DC follows that then They are morons......
Old 10-22-2021, 02:58 PM   #15
Yojimbo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

That’s why I went hard getting some of the oldies…

And buying pieces like Dejah.

Hedging against any future modesty “enhancements”. ( not hedging in a financial sense,but just so I have pieces that may be considered too risky to make in the future)

Really hope this doesn’t become the norm for all companies. What’s next… Catwoman in sweat pants?
Old 10-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #16
ClaraVoyent
Fantastic Four

This is a really interesting thread. I'm extremely new to this hobby, and I happened to see this same post from Warren Louw on one of his social pages.

I feel like I'm joining in at like.. the worst possible time, with these companies crapping all over the legacy of so many characters and stories. As others mentioned prior, it seems like the recipe for success here really isn't that challenging.

I'm sort of a weird fan so far, not really sure where I'll end up. I hopped on because, probably like many others, the explosion of these characters' popularity in pop culture today + the nostalgia from when I was younger + pandemic times leading to more time with hobbies.

I started checking out some comics digitally, though not a ton. I've actually enjoyed some of the more non-mainstream stuff more than anything else. "Saga" was great.

What's really been fun -- I started to pick out favorite comic & game characters from my past, and, the ones I like today, and have had a lot of fun picking out a few lower-cost statues/figures, and, character art to build a fun display. I've started to grow an appreciation for the real talent these artists have, and their ability to draw these cool characters from comics and video games. When I was a kid, I used to like drawing characters, though I wasn't very good.

On "free comic day" I went out and got to meet an artist and buy a couple prints I thought were cool. I caught the bug. Then, also this year, I attended my first "comic con" ever and had a blast in the Artist Alley. So many talented people out there, and I love supporting the cool art they are producing!

I'm still learning about the "who's-who" in the artist world. Tough to know who is official and who is fan art. Seems like there are so many, plus you throw in all these new terms like variants and custom shop virgin editions and whatever else I don't understand. It's really a bit vast and confusing. But it's been fun!

So when I see news like this, I feel like I found something fun and exciting right as it's ending.
I have no interest in watered down content of any kind. I picked up a few of those "bishoujo" style DC and Marvel characters, and now basically concede that those are pretty much done. If any more ever released, they'd be boring.
Stories have to walk on egg shells or cater to special interests, which is the complete opposite of what people are looking for in these. The art of all the characters has to be toned down to some sort of boring realism, or avoid the possibility of offending anyone, which is an impossible bar.

I've typed all this, and I'm not sure why. I guess I'm just wondering if this is all a waste of time, or, wondering what you all think. Where does a newbie belong in this world?

Ah well, take care everyone.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:25 PM   #17
COI

Get used to this. For the next 10-20 years, media companies will be prioritizing messaging over art. And not in a sincere way either, it's simply to pander to the cultural zeitgeist.

And before anyone mentions it, this isn't about wanting T&A, it's about non-creative people putting limitations on artists for arbitrary and cynical reasons.

There will be plenty of independent artists still doing their thing, but as far as Marvel, DC, etc, peak creativity from those outlets is far in the rear-view.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #18
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadAsGhoul View Post
Oh, cool i understand - made up characters have to dress modestly, but letting teenagers watch all the modern female vocalists singing about WAPs etc, and dress up like them is fine cause its empowering. Funny times we live in
Yes, exactly.

Because there's no actual consistent argument being made, nor are these complaints rooted in any sort of ethical framework, it's just a vocal minority of malcontents screaming incessantly, and corporations trying to placate those screaming children because they're terrified of bad PR costing them a buck.

Not sure why they haven't figured out that the vast majority of the people complaining aren't even their customers.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #19
ClaraVoyent
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Get used to this. For the next 10-20 years, media companies will be prioritizing messaging over art. And not in a sincere way either, it's simply to pander to the cultural zeitgeist.

And before anyone mentions it, this isn't about wanting T&A, it's about non-creative people putting limitations on artists for arbitrary and cynical reasons.

There will be plenty of independent artists still doing their thing, but as far as Marvel, DC, etc, peak creativity from those outlets is far in the rear-view.
Well, that blows. Where do we find the independent artists and folks creating without the baloney?
Old 10-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #20
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraVoyent View Post

I've typed all this, and I'm not sure why. I guess I'm just wondering if this is all a waste of time, or, wondering what you all think. Where does a newbie belong in this world?

Ah well, take care everyone.
It's not a waste of time. Fortunately for you, if your interest is in comics and comic art, you have 80+ years of content to go back and discover.

And while I'm not familiar with it presently, I'm sure there's a thriving indy scene out there somewhere. As someone else mentioned earlier, this PC nonsense is going to drive actual artists to do their own thing.

If you're enjoying yourself, don't let the nonsense deter you. Just keep looking and you'll find stuff that suits your tastes.

Last edited by COI; 10-22-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Closed Thread