Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 12-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #21
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwinter92 View Post
One bad portrait in your own opinion and suddenly the company is "proven" to be a hit and miss with them.

Aren't we overreacting ?
Yeah, nothing we've in-hand pics of have this issue. The first controversial actor likeness due to ship is the half-scale Wonder Woman, but since the corrections, the divisiveness stems more from the expression (which I agree with) than the likeness, similar to the Heath Ledger Joker, which I dig. The only others released so far are the BvS Batman and Superman and both were well received and look great in properly lit photos.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #22
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwinter92 View Post
One bad portrait in your own opinion and suddenly the company is "proven" to be a hit and miss with them.

Aren't we overreacting ?
Cat Woman (Anne Hathaway)
Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie)

Wonder Woman - Prime 1 has revealed various Wonder Woman statues, some looking better than others in the portrait department.
When it comes to the female face, Wonder Woman provides Prime 1's better examples.

When it comes to Flash, Cyborg, Batman, Prime 1 perform way better
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #23
SONICobra
Batman

i think shes hot

SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #24
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Cat Woman (Anne Hathaway)
Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie)

Wonder Woman - Prime 1 has revealed various Wonder Woman statues, some looking better than others in the portrait department.
When it comes to the female face, Wonder Woman provides Prime 1's better examples.

When it comes to Flash, Cyborg, Batman, Prime 1 perform way better
I don't mean to keep harping this point, but you should wait until these actually come out or until you're able to see them in person. I didn't like Arkham's Harley's face until getting it in-hand. Same with Hot Toys movie Harley (the back teeth always looked too prominent in photos, especially based on the promo image the gaping smile was based on, and the thick bangs framed her face to look too wide) but that turned out to be a case of both the production figure receiving tweaks likely too slight to capture even in con videos and just the sculpt looking more impressively detailed in its actual smaller size than enlarged images.

You tend to point out incorrect face shape as your criticism for a lot of actress likenesses, but I feel that stems from you focusing on one facial feature at a certain angle and visualizing the distortion from there to the point where everything looks slightly off. In actual art, whether it's drawing or sculpture, referencing a photo even of someone at the exact same angle as you're copying may not translate into the likeness you recognize as a composite of seeing them in motion at every angle, not to mention the natural memory distortion that actually comes from revisiting said material to look for criticisms.

For the record, I own every movie Harley collectible you referenced as having a better likeness than Prime 1's since we debated that some time ago, from the S.H. Figuarts to the aforementioned Hot Toys. So I do look forward to seeing which one of us was right (I used reward points on the P1 and paid too much for the HT EX after cancelling my pre-order, so costs won't bias my determination.) I can't speak to Hathaway Catwoman because I haven't been sold on any merchandise of her yet, although the upcoming MaFEX revised figure looks solid. I like Medicom quite a bit, also from picking up their Suicide Squad figures.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #25
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
I don't mean to keep harping this point, but you should wait until these actually come out or until you're able to see them in person. I didn't like Arkham's Harley's face until getting it in-hand. Same with Hot Toys movie Harley (the back teeth always looked too prominent in photos, especially based on the promo image the gaping smile was based on, and the thick bangs framed her face to look too wide) but that turned out to be a case of both the production figure receiving tweaks likely too slight to capture even in con videos and just the sculpt looking more impressively detailed in its actual smaller size than enlarged images.

You tend to point out incorrect face shape as your criticism for a lot of actress likenesses, but I feel that stems from you focusing on one facial feature at a certain angle and visualizing the distortion from there to the point where everything looks slightly off. In actual art, whether it's drawing or sculpture, referencing a photo even of someone at the exact same angle as you're copying may not translate into the likeness you recognize as a composite of seeing them in motion at every angle, not to mention the natural memory distortion that actually comes from revisiting said material to look for criticisms.

For the record, I own every movie Harley collectible you referenced as having a better likeness than Prime 1's since we debated that some time ago, from the S.H. Figuarts to the aforementioned Hot Toys. So I do look forward to seeing which one of us was right (I used reward points on the P1 and paid too much for the HT EX after cancelling my pre-order, so costs won't bias my determination.) I can't speak to Hathaway Catwoman because I haven't been sold on any merchandise of her yet, although the upcoming MaFEX revised figure looks solid. I like Medicom quite a bit, also from picking up their Suicide Squad figures.
I own the Hot Toys Harley Quinn figure, which looks great. I have the SideShow Harley Quinn 1/4 PF on pre order, as i like the look of it, even if the Margot Robbie likeness isn't there. I can bend a little if a staute looks good even if the likeness is absent. When Prime 1 arrived with their Margot Robbie Harley i had expectations of them smashing it out the ball park. Sadly they didn't. 4 portraits of which i only like 1 (the bubble gum face). The paint app looks crazy good, but i wasn't sold on the pose. I'm slowly starting to like Prime 1's effort and might be tempted should a special offer happen, as to be honest, i don't see it selling fast. But who knows?
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #26
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I own the Hot Toys Harley Quinn figure, which looks great. I have the SideShow Harley Quinn 1/4 PF on pre order, as i like the look of it, even if the Margot Robbie likeness isn't there. I can bend a little if a staute looks good even if the likeness is absent. When Prime 1 arrived with their Margot Robbie Harley i had expectations of them smashing it out the ball park. Sadly they didn't. 4 portraits of which i only like 1 (the bubble gum face). The paint app looks crazy good, but i wasn't sold on the pose. I'm slowly starting to like Prime 1's effort and might be tempted should a special offer happen, as to be honest, i don't see it selling fast. But who knows?
Even I'm willing to eat crow on the PF, despite being a dissenting voice initially, if it turns out better in-hand. But I'm also thoroughly familiar with the materials Sideshow uses from owning quite a few. For any company's products, that'll give you a better frame of reference to analyze the differences between photos/video and what it'll look like when you actually receive it. Because I'm personally unfamiliar with any of Sideshow portraits since utilizing PVC for example (although I can speak highly of companies like Blitzway and HT obviously who've done so from the beginning) I've struggled to get past how caricatured the new Han Solo PF looks in photos. In videos I've seen from NYCC, attendees attest it's really impressive in person, so I regret not reserving judgment.

In short, find some way of seeing a Prime 1 female portrait in person (or some company that uses translucent resin at a comparable scale and detail level) before affirming your opinion and continuously bashing (yes, it's bashing if you assert a company's approach to something is consistently flawed.) I own several Blitzway and Hot Toys pieces. I don't consider myself an expert in the least, but I've been better educated by sampling from every company. Now I feel more comfortable slowing down my collecting and sticking to single lines/companies.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #27
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

It probably won't sell fast, I agree. Everything P1 puts out including SOTY candidate Miller Bats, however around that low stock warning/waitlist for seemingly ages. My AK Harley EX might very well have been the last conversion before it sold out (not bragging. I could've gotten it below retail at the time had I not been indecisive and waited) and that was barely a few months ago. I'm pretty sure both are still available on P1's direct website. I think it'd be a mistake to buy most 1:3 scale pieces expecting them to hold value. That's sadly becoming the case for 1:4 as well.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:25 AM   #28
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
She's cute on the show, but she can be hot when she wants to be...

Everyone can be hot with a little photoshop here and there
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:38 AM   #29
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
She's cute on the show, but she can be hot when she wants to be...

Yeah that looks a bit photoshopped and a bit freaky looking, plus I've see her naked in Homeland, she has a boyish figure, she's not that curvy, She has more of a athlete body type like a marathon runner.

But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:49 AM   #30
nearmint
Phoenix

I never leave the house without photoshopping myself first.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote