Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 11-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #11
Wurmtongue
The Herculoids

Just saw a video of the hot toys secret base. They have 3 different colouration styles of shore troopers, and an assault tank commander. I have never given these figures much thought til now. Sideshow never went beyond Cody and Rex with PF, Stormtroopers, but never made any of the other cool clone commanders like Bacara, Nero, or Bly. Hot Toys needs to sell the 1.6 Tie Fighter or Scout Walker. Their figure seem either smaller or larger than SS, but I believe they have a over all better weathering scheme. Correct me if I'm wrong, and if any of you guys have any of the Force Awakens troopers, what are you options about them.
Wurmtongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #12
demonhunter
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurmtongue View Post
Just saw a video of the hot toys secret base. They have 3 different colouration styles of shore troopers, and an assault tank commander. I have never given these figures much thought til now. Sideshow never went beyond Cody and Rex with PF, Stormtroopers, but never made any of the other cool clone commanders like Bacara, Nero, or Bly. Hot Toys needs to sell the 1.6 Tie Fighter or Scout Walker. Their figure seem either smaller or larger than SS, but I believe they have a over all better weathering scheme. Correct me if I'm wrong, and if any of you guys have any of the Force Awakens troopers, what are you options about them.

This is my honest opinion. Firstly, in an overall sense, Hot Toys is still tops compared to other 1/6 figures in the market. I collect Hot Toys, V-Toys(Very cool toys) and Phicen. Overall as in proportions, headsculpts, accuracy to costume, paintjobs & finishing. Of course, weathering effect is pretty top notch.

However, speaking of Star Wars figures, I have observed the Force Awakens series from HT. I only bought the SW: TFA HeavyGunner trooper so far, but I have observed in person all the displays at different shops and malls in the capital courtesy of the official distributor doing exhibitions. And I noticed, including my heavygunner, the more simplistic or minimalist the design(with less need for weathering effects), i.e white armour with some black/grey outlining on parts for sense of depth & shadows, or patterns, it seems there are more likely chances of the black going out of the outlines. I observed on some of the flametroopers, there are some black lines and dots on the armour, the black is not painted perfectly within the shape of the line or hole. It's very nitpicky but it is noticeable as the troopers are all white. And also some slightly wobbly black lines.

For my heavygunner, for example, the chest armour part, at the middle of the chest, there is a slight indentation as part of the design. So, they used black paint to outline the indentation to give it a bit of sense of depth. Compared to the stock photos, it's supposed to be just very subtle. But the actual product, the black line is very thick and dark.

But still, overall, HT quality is still very much better than anything else offered out there. And it is getting better every year. Even compared to Sideshow's own 1/6 offerings. I had the SS Episode III Anakin Skywalker, proportions were off. Pretty big head for the body, torso very doll like and not to mention the fake leather completely flaked off after a few years.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:08 AM   #13
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurmtongue View Post
Check out my review of the Rogue One Jedha Patrol Stormtrooper

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=158239

You can see the Jedha trooper compared to the Sandtrooper. I don't particularly care for how HT did thr weathering on the Sandtrooper. While the weathering on the Jedha trooper is less severe, I think it was better done. I have the TFA Snowtroooper, TIE Pilot, Heavy Gunner and Flametroper. The First Order troopers are spit and polish and therfore don't require weatheing
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote