Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 07-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #41
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Not sure if it's Bowen or nothing but for me, it's comic accuracy that I prefer. I'm not into artistic license or prototypes (e.g. McQuarrie Star Wars). That is what was the big seller for me.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #42
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJ300 View Post
I would be broke then!!

Bowen Batman line!!!
You and me both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
It would be interesting to see what it would take to get collectors to embrace the 1/6-1/7 scale line again. For whatever reason, many collectors seemed to have since moved on to 1/4 scale and haven't looked back. You'd think there would be a scramble of some kind to fill the Bowen void but it hasn't really happened to any large degree which serves as some kind of compelling narrative on the subject. Is it Bowen or nothing for fans of that scale?

Also, good or bad, 2016 appears to feature a new generation of fan who seem to have no idea who the Beetle, Wrecker, and Leader might be. While that may seem a shame to many of us old fogies, it likely is a sign of what lies ahead. If you ask around, many new collectors are generally fans of the movies and cartoons who likely have rarely picked up a comic book. To be fair, no one can expect or ask today's 20 year olds to share our knowledge and love for 50+ years of comics history. They had and continue to have way more things to compete for their leisure time than we ever did, not the least of which is gaming and the internet. Also, so many of those comics we read likely read quite dated today.

The online discussion dynamic has changed too. In other company threads, when you point out (often glaring) flaws in costume design, pose, and personality, you can practically hear the crickets in the room. This isn't a new thing anymore. It also doesn't appear to be as cool to own an awesome sculpture of the Executioner or Klaw as it might be to own a statue with an edition size of 250 which some appear to hope weighs 50 pounds. The landscape of the hobby has certainly changed. While I'm still happy to be a hobbyist, it appears that with every passing year, my interests become less the norm.

P.S. It's a shame the mini-busts trend has all but disappeared. Those were fun.
I don't know if it's Bowen or nothing for 1/6th collectors...Koto's been doing pretty well. The issue there is the limited number of releases and the time it takes for them to release. Though, it does seem a good number of people prefer the "bigger and badder" 1/4th scale, I still think there's plenty of interest in 1/6th.

I think you're right about the younger generation of fans. I doubt most of them recognize any characters not in the movies, cartoons or video games. It's a shame, but it is what it is...times change and they seem to be changing more and more every time I check. Still, I think there's enough of us interested in the more obscure characters to warrant a release or two....I think, I hope.

Yeah, I'm just glad Bowen went off with the MBs and left us a healthy assortment to pick from. Gentle Giant's doing a pretty good job of holding the torch, though.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:39 AM   #43
Cougrcrumby
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I agree.. Id rather see 1/6th form him. Id rather see him sculpt something that I don't have to pay 200 to 300 to ship to the US. Maybe do some spawn statues for McFarlane, or some DC stuff.. 1/6th for... DC.
Cougrcrumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #44
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Awkward interview but informative nonetheless. Glad to finally have a definitive answer on the state of his affairs and what to expect, or not expect, in the future.

Who knows what'll happen in five years time. I think for a lot of us who got into this hobby via BD product the collecting landscape has evolved to a point where we've either slowed down collecting or stopped altogether. Collecting larger scale statues is great but prices and size drastically limits your variety. We may never see a company produce statues based solely on comic book characters and in BD scale ever again, and that's a shame.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #45
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
It would be interesting to see what it would take to get collectors to embrace the 1/6-1/7 scale line again. For whatever reason, many collectors seemed to have since moved on to 1/4 scale and haven't looked back. You'd think there would be a scramble of some kind to fill the Bowen void but it hasn't really happened to any large degree which serves as some kind of compelling narrative on the subject. Is it Bowen or nothing for fans of that scale?

Also, good or bad, 2016 appears to feature a new generation of fan who seem to have no idea who the Beetle, Wrecker, and Leader might be. While that may seem a shame to many of us old fogies, it likely is a sign of what lies ahead. If you ask around, many new collectors are generally fans of the movies and cartoons who likely have rarely picked up a comic book. To be fair, no one can expect or ask today's 20 year olds to share our knowledge and love for 50+ years of comics history. They had and continue to have way more things to compete for their leisure time than we ever did, not the least of which is gaming and the internet. Also, so many of those comics we read likely read quite dated today.

The online discussion dynamic has changed too. In other company threads, when you point out (often glaring) flaws in costume design, pose, and personality, you can practically hear the crickets in the room. This isn't a new thing anymore. It also doesn't appear to be as cool to own an awesome sculpture of the Executioner or Klaw as it might be to own a statue with an edition size of 250 which some appear to hope weighs 50 pounds. The landscape of the hobby has certainly changed. While I'm still happy to be a hobbyist, it appears that with every passing year, my interests become less the norm.

I'd even say in the 3 years I've been collecting that the dynamic has changed in this hobby. But with regards to the 1/6 - 1/7 line, I think it's more availability. Even in the last 6 months on facebook pages etc I see more people asking where to find Bowen statues and mini busts. I think because of all these companies producing 1/4 and 1/3 scale pieces and with costs getting to $599 for a 1/4 pre-order, people are just getting priced out and looking for alternatives. You are definitely right about the more obscure characters, but I think in the next year or so would be prime time for a 1/6 line at an affordable price like $199 - $249 would be very popular right now.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #46
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quality product at an affordable price will work. If BD comes back in 5 years and decides to pick back up with Marvel he will have plenty to sculpt. He can revisit characters, do characters that he never got to before closing shop, and he could introduce newer characters to bring in the newer/younger collectors. Randy is a great sculptor and a savvy business man. He knows the formula and I am sure it would work. And if he were to go DC ... he would have several years worth of statues to produce that would sell very well.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #47
qz33
Doctor Doom

He's been in the driver's seat for far too long to see him doing much freelance or employee work.

In 5 years he'll be about 60. Not a lot of drive at that age to start new business ventures especially in a field not well known for self motivation.
Who knows where the industry and production will be by then with so many new competitors and 1/6 selling towards $300 retail now.

Maybe there's a loop hole for someone to start a business, hire him as a freelancer and consultant then sell it all to him after 5 years?

Sad I just can't imagine much coming from him in the future.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #48
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
Don't forget about banging a hot girl while skydiving.

I'd definitely want to see that happen.
And there you have the plot for the Point Break Sequel (NOT Remake!!)
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #49
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Point Break: The Mile Dive Club

Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #50
xforce
Hydra

Excellent post sadly I agree with all of it.
My issue is how many batman, superman, wonder woman, captain America, thor and hulk statues can you make. With Bowen he mixed big names with lesser known characters.

Quote:
It would be interesting to see what it would take to get collectors to embrace the 1/6-1/7 scale line again. For whatever reason, many collectors seemed to have since moved on to 1/4 scale and haven't looked back. You'dThe b think there would be a scramble of some kind to fill the Bowen void but it hasn't really happened to any large degree which serves as some kind of compelling narrative on the subject. Is it Bowen or nothing for fans of that scale?

Last edited by nbr3bagshotrow; 07-19-2016 at 09:37 AM.
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote