Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

View Poll Results: As a collector does the re-releasing of limited edition statues bother you?
Not at all. It gives other collectors the opportunity to own one. 26 36.62%
Yes it bothers me! The statue was supposed to be limited. 29 40.85%
It all depends on the changes from the original. 16 22.54%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Poll: Re-releasing Limited Statues

A thread in the DC Direct section has me a little confused. Let me you give you the backstory - a couple/few years ago DC Direct released the Batman vs Killer Croc diorama limited to 1500. Pretty cool statue, easily one of DC Direct's best. In the years since it's release it has done pretty well on the secondary market (I think it retailed for around $250 and has went on Ebay for $800-$1000.) Yesterday DC Direct announced that it plans to re-release this Dio with a slightly different color scheme with no word of it being limited (Batman in black and gray vs the original blue and gray.)

My question to you is as a collector does this bother you?
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
crazy_legs03
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I think to be true to "collectors", it should remain limited and not be reproduced even with color changes or slight tweaks ala the Bowen faux bonze range.

Being limited and going or the chase is what makes this hobby fun.
crazy_legs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

doesn't bother me at all. and it shouldn't bother a collector either. the first one is a completely different color scheme and was the fist run of these statues. so they should hold their value regardless of the remake. this second run is an opportunity for the ones who missed out on it the first time. like me, so im glad they are remaking it. (hopefully its just a color scheme change with bats alone)
i look at it like this, the blue & gray is the exclusive version compared to the black & gray as the regular version. if anything i think this second run would increase the value of the first run of the blue and gray dios. unless of course they make fewer of the black & gray. then i could see why collectors would be upset about it. but im glad they are remaking it. gives me a chance to acquire the piece and in the color scheme i wanted it in the first place.
now im hoping they will do the same thing with Superman vs Darkseid and make Darkseid's costume the classic dark blue or black color scheme.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Madame_Siryn
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I'm not as bothered simply because I purchase statues because I love the characters not because of what it may be worth in the future.

All of this purchasing statues in hopes of it being worth a lot of money in the future is somewhat reminiscent to the comic book boom (and eventual bust) in the 90's.
Madame_Siryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame_Siryn View Post
I'm not as bothered simply because I purchase statues because I love the characters not because of what it may be worth in the future.

All of this purchasing statues in hopes of it being worth a lot of money in the future is somewhat reminiscent to the comic book boom (and eventual bust) in the 90's.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:

I agree.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
ambasah
Red Skull

no issue for me as well, as long as there is a difference (change in colour, slight variation in sculpt etc).

This has been debated over many times in the past and I don't think either camp will convince the other.

count me in with those who don't see this hobby as an investment - to the contrary, I absolutely expect the majority of my statues to decline in value over time, and I am perfectly fine with that.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:

Very insightful comment.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

I understand the frustration collectors feels when they're on the losing side of re-releases like this. I imagine it's even worse for Hot Toys collectors. There, not only do they routinely release new versions of very rare, highly desirable figures, but those new releases have improved sculpts and new features that render the old versions obsolete.

But at the end of the day, companies like Sideshow and DC Collectibles are trying to run profitable businesses. That's not always an easy prospect given how small the collector market is. It doesn't help DC if the Batman vs. Killer Croc dio is selling for $800-1000 on the secondary market. They don't see a penny of that money. But that tells them there's an ongoing demand for an older piece, and the only way for them to profit from the demand is to re-release it.

Compare it to the comic book collecting scene. Sometimes an issue will sell out and become highly sought after. But no one would argue that DC shouldn't produce a reprint or a trade paperback collection for Batman #1 just because the first print is valuable. Maybe the value of the first print issue declines somewhat after those re-releases, but that's just how it goes. It's bad business to not make a desirable product available to the widest audience possible.

And that goes for collectibles as well. The market is precariously small at this point. You don't want people to give up on collecting Hot Toys before they even start because they can't find a Batman or Joker figure for less than $500. It's silly to reproduce every single piece on a whim, but the more significant ones with the proven demand should be made available again in some form or another.

Basically, I think it's misguided to approach this hobby with resale value and rarity as the primary goals. If making a profit is your goal, invest the money in something sensible like stocks or bonds. If you just like knowing that certain pieces in your collection are rare and valuable, that's fine. But know that there's always a danger of that value fluctuating as new products hit the market. Collectors should be buying these statues and figures because of their aesthetic value first and foremost.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksplode View Post
I understand the frustration collectors feels when they're on the losing side of re-releases like this. I imagine it's even worse for Hot Toys collectors. There, not only do they routinely release new versions of very rare, highly desirable figures, but those new releases have improved sculpts and new features that render the old versions obsolete.

But at the end of the day, companies like Sideshow and DC Collectibles are trying to run profitable businesses. That's not always an easy prospect given how small the collector market is. It doesn't help DC if the Batman vs. Killer Croc dio is selling for $800-1000 on the secondary market. They don't see a penny of that money. But that tells them there's an ongoing demand for an older piece, and the only way for them to profit from the demand is to re-release it.

Compare it to the comic book collecting scene. Sometimes an issue will sell out and become highly sought after. But no one would argue that DC shouldn't produce a reprint or a trade paperback collection for Batman #1 just because the first print is valuable. Maybe the value of the first print issue declines somewhat after those re-releases, but that's just how it goes. It's bad business to not make a desirable product available to the widest audience possible.

And that goes for collectibles as well. The market is precariously small at this point. You don't want people to give up on collecting Hot Toys before they even start because they can't find a Batman or Joker figure for less than $500. It's silly to reproduce every single piece on a whim, but the more significant ones with the proven demand should be made available again in some form or another.

Basically, I think it's misguided to approach this hobby with resale value and rarity as the primary goals. If making a profit is your goal, invest the money in something sensible like stocks or bonds. If you just like knowing that certain pieces in your collection are rare and valuable, that's fine. But know that there's always a danger of that value fluctuating as new products hit the market. Collectors should be buying these statues and figures because of their aesthetic value first and foremost.
First of all thanks for your input.

I don't think you can compare comics to statues simply because comics are not sold as "limited" and individually numbered.

I never stated that I had resale or value in mind. My point is they sold this statue as limited to 1500 with each piece individually numbered. DC then saw the resale value of this statue and decided basically to "recast" their own statue, make very minor paint tweeks, and cash in on the popularity of a sculpt that they had already cashed in on. I'm sorry that...but its pure and simple greed.

I do find it funny however when I hear the argument that people only collect for the fun of it, and they don't do it to make a profit. You sure can't tell it from the vast majority of for sale threads I've seen on this site or over at freaks.
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote