Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
patrickwm68
The Flash

Found A Baby Turtle In My Yard

It's not the first time as I have 5 adult box turtles living in my yard; 3 males and 2 females, but I thought people would like to see pics of it.

patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
patrickwm68
The Flash

They look pretty tough but they're not, most don't survive their 1st winter hybernation.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Cute! Wow.. he's tiny.

I hit a box turtle with my bike, back when I was 8 or so.

.. was livin' in Virginia at the time.. little bugger was in the street and partially covered by leaves.. thought it was a rock, but I looked back and it was a turtle.

Took him home but then took him to a pond where I knew other turtles were a few days later and let him loose... fun memory.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
patrickwm68
The Flash

The plan is to release all the turtles back into the wild once I find a spot where I know they won't be disturbed. I'd hate to think of someone finding them and sticking them in a tank in the house or worse.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
The plan is to release all the turtles back into the wild once I find a spot where I know they won't be disturbed. I'd hate to think of someone finding them and sticking them in a tank in the house or worse.
Good plan, Pat.. very admirable of you.

Is there any sort of museum of natural history near you? They'd probably know where other turtles of that sort frequent, I'd think. Or check the internet, which I'm sure you've done already.

Yeah... pet store turtles probably have short lifespans... I'm glad you're not "donating" them to one.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
Kingofthehill78
King Mud

Quote:
nothing worse then being placed in this...
Kingofthehill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

turtle soup

Ingredients
10 pounds turtle meat, without bones
8 pounds chicken meat with bones
8 pounds boneless pork roast
10 large onions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
6 pounds potatoes - peeled and cubed
2 cups butter
2 quarts half-and-half cream
2 gallons milk
Directions
1.Place the turtle, chicken and pork meat into separate pots with enough water to cover the meat. Bring each one to a boil, and cook until tender. Discard the water from the turtle and pork, but save the chicken stock. Debone all of the meat, tear or cut into bite-size pieces, and set aside.
2.In a very large stockpot, combine the three meats, onion and reserved chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and cook until the onions are tender, about 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Potatoes can be prepared during this time.
3.Add the potatoes and butter to the stockpot, and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are not quite cooked through. Reduce heat to low, and let the soup simmer down. Stir in the half and half cream and milk. Bring the soup to a simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes. Be careful not to curdle the dairy by getting it too hot. Serve soup hot with crackers.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:10 AM   #8
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill78 View Post
nothing worse then being placed in this...
i freakin want one
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:16 AM   #9
patrickwm68
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
Good plan, Pat.. very admirable of you.

Is there any sort of museum of natural history near you? They'd probably know where other turtles of that sort frequent, I'd think. Or check the internet, which I'm sure you've done already.

Yeah... pet store turtles probably have short lifespans... I'm glad you're not "donating" them to one.
They're not allowed to sell turtles in NJ because of some kids contracting salmonella back in the 50's or 60's.

I called a reptile sanctuary last year who said they were interested in taking them but they never called me back.

I've heard of another guy who might take them but he takes them to schools to teach children about wildlife so I'm thinking he may keep them in fish tanks which I'm not crazy about.

Right now they have the run of my yard.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:18 AM   #10
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Ugh.. when I was a teacher, my students used to poke the Hell out of my Ball Python when I brought him in to class every so often.. I hated it when they did that.

Quote:
They're not allowed to sell turtles in NJ.

I called a reptile sanctuary last year who said they were interested in taking them but they never called me back.

I've heard of another guy who might take them but he takes them to schools to teach children about wildlife so I'm thinking he may keep them in tanks which I'm not crazy about.