Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 09-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #101
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

... Says someone who I assume does not have an XM statue
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #102
qz33
Doctor Doom

Magneto is over.

Excluding alterations after PO, how XM operates is not really relevant to your personal choices.

Not many people can sink ~$1,000 into multiple statues without needing some of it back at some point.

Don't let FOMO take over.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #103
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
most xm pieces are money losers for US buyers after you factoring in the shipping. If you just look at the recent releases most are selling at retail or below with many listed on ebay. I picked up a few pieces on ebay below original retail and not have to deal with the headache of oversea shipping.

xm has some good statues, but overall it's way overhyped for what you actually get. We not talking about cinemaquette quality here...it just has more creative poses than sideshow
I've never lost money on any of my XM statues, I've let a few go for what I paid for them but never lost money...

Weather or not you lose money really depends on how much you paid for the statue to begin with... I've bought all mine for retail or very close to retail... People who spend $1500 for say Daredevil will defiantly lose money as going price is more around $900 now.. But since I got him for $800 shipped I can still break even or make a little money off of him.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #104
MrJones

I still think if you are going into buying a $1,000 statue with even thinking about how you might lose money later down the road you are doing it wrong.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #105
FETTFAN
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
most xm pieces are money losers for US buyers after you factoring in the shipping. If you just look at the recent releases most are selling at retail or below with many listed on ebay. I picked up a few pieces on ebay below original retail and not have to deal with the headache of oversea shipping.

xm has some good statues, but overall it's way overhyped for what you actually get. We not talking about cinemaquette quality here...it just has more creative poses than sideshow
I too have noticed that the XM price bubble has also burst for several of their recent releases compared to 12 months ago when you were guaranteed a profit. I have not been able to shift Thor despite listing him for $130 less than what I paid.

Maybe this is due to buyers keeping their money for the new pieces XM recently previewed or it could be due to Sideshow upping their game. Either way some pieces wil be more desirable than others Cable compared to King Pin. Buyers now also have more choice in regards to some character such as Venom who is also being released by Sideshow and Prime 1.
FETTFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #106
MrJones

I'm just going to start telling everyone I've ordered everything, and posting my PO list online and it will be all the characters because that is what seems to be "the point" for 50% of collectors these days.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #107
risingstar
Jedi Order

I think some of the newer fans here are asking the same types of questions many of us asked when XM first came out. While the tone in which some of these questions were posed could use a bit more finesse, ultimately, the message here is that people like what they see. While most of us have grown accustomed to the Sideshow model (i.e., pre-order pics, low shipping, cheaper costs and materials), the reality is that not all 1/4 scale companies are created equal so to expect or hope for equal costs is something fans need to let go.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #108
qz33
Doctor Doom

People just aren't happy paying the total prices required be it either for the shipping or statue even when they do it anyways.

Here's a clue: For something like this, if paying the money makes you unhappy you can't really afford it.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #109
Cali604
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
Adamantium Plus Member

I think a few people have noted that there is a ton of stuff coming out from a lot of different companies. People are getting over extended. The "I have to have them all' mentality is no longer working. People may realize they cant buy every 1/3 statue that comes out. Or all the different variants. Or they have rule out a minor character in order to get someone they want more. Display space is limited.

The rate of statues coming out is much more than how many collectors are out there. The numbers for the collectors slowly increase not at the rate these companies are producing. The companies are saturating the market charging big money cuz they see all the buyers paying that amount. But more and more collectors are tapping out.

Some people bought XM statues are speculating the prices would keep going up and they are simply resellers. So now the prices are relatively steady. some blow up and some don't. I buy statues for what I like not as an investment that I expect to increase in value in the future. If I decide to sell a character it would be because a much better version came out. For example if XM does XM Superman and its a knock out I will move SSC Superman, or XM Thor could be moved if XM does a Modern Thor and its a knockout. I really like XM Thor so I don't know if I would do it. I just dont think Id buy multiples of the same character. If I could get 60-70% back that would be great. 100% back would be awesome. but if it increases in value that's a great bonus. But those are not my expectations just getting some money returned so I can upgrade is good enough for me.

There are not many hobbies or items you can buy that retain value of even increase in value over time. So if you are getting some money back its a bonus. Good thing XM keeps their ES low so at least it remains a 'collectible'
Cali604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #110
Lotus000
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I just read all 11 pages. All I can say is that escalated quickly
Lotus000 is offline   Reply With Quote