Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 10-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #101
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Damn this looks great! Could do for a different snake colour though...
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #102
IXEC
Hellboy

IMO......this would have worked better if the guy in the coils......was painted, like they showed here....and the guy under the coils was stone.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New%20Medusa[1].jpg
Views:	18
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	92709  
IXEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #103
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXEC View Post
IMO......this would have worked better if the guy in the coils......was painted, like they showed here....and the guy under the coils was stone.....
Then you wouldn't get the impression that she was torturing/chasing down the guy under her. The way I imagine it is that her tail is about to pick him up and then make him look at her.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #104
IXEC
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
Then you wouldn't get the impression that she was torturing/chasing down the guy under her. The way I imagine it is that her tail is about to pick him up and then make him look at her.
I get your vision of this....but the stone guy is so detailed....why waist all that by not painting him.....
Old 10-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #105
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXEC View Post
I get your vision of this....but the stone guy is so detailed....why waist all that by not painting him.....
I get what you're saying.

I think it works both ways. The stone guy being so detailed makes him look like a well sculpted statue, which helps create the classic style to the diorama and is also just really cool. It's an important setpiece too. The statue being close to her face helps contrast with the beautifulness of her portrait and human skin by showing you what results from facing off against her.

I think this piece is really well thought out. More than people are giving it credit for. I also think the concept of a beautiful looking Medusa is really interesting. To me it combines the mythos of a siren with that of medusa, and I think it's an interesting take on the original tale.

It's just as sad. She goes from being beautiful to retaining her beauty, but only in the upper half of her body. Even worse, no one can admire her beauty anymore. It could make for an interesting story.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #106
IXEC
Hellboy

Quote:

I think it works both ways. The stone guy being so detailed makes him look like a well sculpted statue, which helps create the classic style to the diorama and is also just really cool. It's an important setpiece too. The statue being close to her face helps contrast with the beautifulness of her portrait and human skin by showing you what results from facing off against her.

I think this piece is really well thought out. More than people are giving it credit for. I also think the concept of a beautiful looking Medusa is really interesting. To me it combines the mythos of a siren with that of medusa, and I think it's an interesting take on the original tale.

It's just as sad. She goes from being beautiful to retaining her beauty, but only in the upper half of her body. Even worse, no one can admire her beauty anymore. It could make for an interesting story.
To bad they don't give you a choice......I'll wait for a someday, repaint then....
Old 10-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #107
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:

I like your interpretation, Gyro.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #108
Remember Me?
Hellfire Club

I was more impressed by the Mermaids than Medusa.
Remember Me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #109
Kovenor
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember Me? View Post
I was more impressed by the Mermaids than Medusa.
Same..
Kovenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:58 PM   #110
ReTardist
The Herculoids

We expected a mixed reaction as a lot of collectors look at the first one as a grail. I did my best to crate a narrative here that was entirely different than the first one and I'm honestly damn proud of how it turned out. People may balk at the price tag but with all the elements on the base included you are essentially getting what amounts to 4 quarter scale figures. And yeah, after assembling the statue we decided to make the dude on the bottom still alive so it could appear he was trying to get away and the spiked tail was coming around to finish him off. Honestly I get the haters but this was by far our most well received piece at comic con this year. Time will tell...
ReTardist is offline   Reply With Quote