Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 09-30-2022, 07:07 AM   #241
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I think at this price point, perfect is what many of us require. Or at least as close to it as possible.

If it was what I consider good enough, I would definitely preorder this, as the price isn’t much of a deterrent to me, given I’ve currently already have at least 6 pieces on preorder (silicone busts) which are all more expensive than this one ($3,680 to $3,980 USD Retail).

I’ve found that once I’ve preordered past a certain dollar value, even as a ‘supposed’ once off, it makes it substantially easier to order anything priced even slightly lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedSnowFlake View Post
"Perfect" doesn't exist. Hate to break it to you but this is probably about as close as anyone will get. A human likeness will never be 100% replicated. There will always be differences, and how bad the arm chair sculptors here want to nitpick is their issue.
……which is why I said at least “as close to it as possible”. As you’re well aware given that you yourself highlighted it.

And you have to remember, that once upon a time people were saying that the sculpts that Sideshow were doing back in the day were the epitome, where collectors said it wouldn’t be possible to do any better. Suffice to say, that thinking didn’t last long.

Heck just a few years back Prime 1 were among the best (Blitzway/ECC concentrated on other genre’s), and then Queen and Infinity came out and overturned that belief. And shortly after that we now have JND.

My point being improvements are continuously being achieved.

Heck the ‘prototype’ for Infinity’s Gal Gadot Wonder Woman life size bust was pretty much universally praised, so it can be done (and yes, I’m aware larger scales have an advantage in that regard).

I also remember people were saying Prime 1’s Wonder Woman statues were as perfect as can be, and the same things were being said of those critics too.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:26 AM   #242
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I think we're all using the subjectivity of art to mask over the real problem..... $$$$$$

It's easier to convince ourselves (and others) that there are "unreasonable" flaws in the product, then it is to admit we've been priced out of the game.

Let's take money out of the discussion for a minute - and just focus on the art. If you want a full body - hyper real statue of WW Gal Gadot, and this from JND is not good enough - where are you shopping? Prime1? Queen Studios? - Sideshow?......if this JND piece is not artiscally good enough, but you'd happily gush over products from those other producers - sorry, you're lying to yourself....or you're blind.

It's only when we introduce the cost into the discussion - then things turn sour for JND. I don't see anything wrong with attacking the price, but her nose is too big, her lips are too round, etc. etc. is.....well......
But what about those of us who aren’t quite being priced out (at least for now), can we not also critique a piece? I’ve currently put a lot of my money down on Queen Studio pieces such as their busts, and they also receive quite a few critiques from collectors, but I rarely ever believe they’re totally invalid, heck sometimes I agree. I can buy a piece and critique it at the same time.

However I understand your point, and I’m sure a large portion of the critiques (especially on YouTube etc) are coming from collectors with absolutely no intention of ever spending that kind of money on a single piece, but it doesn’t cover everyone.

And I do agree that this is easily the best GG WW full body statue in her traditional outfit on the market.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:08 AM   #243
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
I think we're all using the subjectivity of art to mask over the real problem..... $$$$$$

It's easier to convince ourselves (and others) that there are "unreasonable" flaws in the product, then it is to admit we've been priced out of the game.

Let's take money out of the discussion for a minute - and just focus on the art. If you want a full body - hyper real statue of WW Gal Gadot, and this from JND is not good enough - where are you shopping? Prime1? Queen Studios? - Sideshow?......if this JND piece is not artiscally good enough, but you'd happily gush over products from those other producers - sorry, you're lying to yourself....or you're blind.

It's only when we introduce the cost into the discussion - then things turn sour for JND. I don't see anything wrong with attacking the price, but her nose is too big, her lips are too round, etc. etc. is.....well......
Aka, your own critique is fine, but everyone else's is stupid. Got it.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:11 AM   #244
ctg
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Any ideas when spec may put up?
ctg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:33 AM   #245
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with attacking the price, but her nose is too big, her lips are too round, etc. etc. is.....well......
So we ignore the likeness as it might be subjective? That makes no sense. We can't just assume it looks like gal because we are told it looks like her
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:42 AM   #246
tarim69
Sailor Moon

Tempting, but I just cant see spending 4k on a statue.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:50 AM   #247
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarim69 View Post
Tempting, but I just can't see spending 4k on a statue.
Just give it time.

I thought I was insane spending $2K back in the day on those Prime 1 Trinity 1/2 scale pieces, and now I barely give any thought when I preordered my last five silicone busts which ranged from $3,680 to $3,980 before shipping and taxes to Australia.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #248
KLSADAKO
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Overall the likeness with the correct lighting is better, but its not say Hot Toys Christopher Reeve likeness which I don't think anyone can really fault..
It is a massive improvement over their Cat woman though..
KLSADAKO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:09 AM   #249
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
This might've been an exception rather than the start of a new norm. Classic WW is a highly demanded character. Idk if they'll be able to pull something like this again.
I've been wondering if this was a way for them to test what the market can bear. I still think companies are going to crank up prices beyond the inflation and blame the total cost increase on it. I know people have said this for years, but eventually there will be a price point where people stop spending. Right now, that price point seems to be around that Prime 1 Final Fantasy 6 Terra 1:6 statue for about $15K.
Cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:19 AM   #250
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
...though now I'm wondering if it's the direct purchases that are more prone to issues since they aren't being shipped in batched up, secured chunks (like to another retailer) but just singular boxes getting bounced around as they transverse the globe?
I understand what you are saying but I hope you are wrong.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote