Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #31
daikins
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

But, digital effects are part of his technique. I don't think he asks you about this before doing it.. does he? I just think that's what he does. He explains it on his website, so it's not like he's hiding it. It's part of his process.

I would not be surprised if the background on yours was digital. Not that it takes away anything, but that's part of his technique.
It's also why I'd love to see it in person- to figure out how he gets such good results...
daikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #32
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

well if I commissioned a piece and it came to me and part of it was printed on the paper I would RANT like hell. I don't collect computer printed crap (sorry no offense for you digital artists) but If I pay for a commission it better be all hand drawn with pencil/pen etc when it shows up to me if that's what I asked for.
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #33
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Let me say, in no uncertain terms that I am very happy with the piece Peterson did, whether there are some computer geberated elements to the Batman piece or not. However, I still think that everything on the piece was hand inked my Brandon.
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #34
Underdog07
Hercules

last year in Baltimore, he donated a Black Widow piece to the Heroes auction that was colored by a computer. They explained how he did it which involved his pencils being colored. Piece was sweet and I would have purchased it.

The cover to Ultimate Captain America 1 had a lost of computer generated affects. When I bought it, I asked if he could make a stat and, instead, he hand drew in all of the affects.
here is the before/after

Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #35
bat_collector
Galactus

awesome piece!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #36
daikins
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

did he tell you he hand drew all those textures, or did you just assume that because it's on the original board?
It's really interesting reading his process comments on his website. He's an extremely smart artist in that he knows if it's faster and looks better to do it digitally and then print it out on the board, then that's what he does. He's consistently combining hand done line work with printed out digital line work, textures, and sometimes full objects to great effect.
Knowing this, when i see in his art something that looks like a time consuming texture or object that could be done faster digitally, it would be foolish to assume it was done by hand.

Unfortunately, many don't know his technique and can't see the difference between his ink line and the printed out line. So I'd have to imagine that there are those that would initially assume it's all hand done.
Plus, without the artist actually telling you his process, it's hard to know anything from an internet jpeg...
daikins is offline   Reply With Quote