Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-29-2017, 01:44 AM   #61
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
Unfortunately not the same person. That would have been cool though!

Or maybe when someone wanted to do an original female Terminator with full creative power?

Not sure why female has to = sex.
Because sex sells.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:46 AM   #62
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Or maybe when someone wanted to do an original female Terminator with full creative power?

Not sure why female has to = sex.

You're gonna sell sex a lot more than you are concept art at the $500 premium format prices *shrugs* Sadly, this is just the nature of the statue collecting world
DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #63
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just saying, the statue does not have to scream "SEX" to sell well.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #64
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Are some of you guys really just buying female statues because they are sexy? Not because of the character? And you think female statues only sell because of the sex appeal?

Time for you to get out more i think.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:59 PM   #65
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Just saying, the statue does not have to scream "SEX" to sell well.
But you're examples are kinda proving the 'sex sells' point even more.

First, Lady Maria is from a popular video game that's being released by a company known for their quality and excellence - something Sideshow has been struggling with for the past few years. She isn't a concept that needs any more appeal other than who she is to begin with. You top all that off with a unique pose and design, and of course you're gonna have a sellout.

Second, the Shard is a full on concept piece that shows no skin or scantily clad armor. It's also double the edition size of Lady Maria. And the pose is generic, with a pretty hurt looking face. There's nothing shocking about it not being sold out atm.

But now, if you take a look at the Queen of the Dead release, something that was a naked chick with basically a towel wrapped around her, you'd have a truer example of how sex does sell over art in this hobby. It was a concept, it was a naked chick, and was relatively cheap(er) than what prices are today. There's no denying that it sold out because of its sex appeal.

So, if you think this Terminator concept will sell out the way it's designed now, you're fooling yourself. And there's nothing wrong with being upset with that idea, but there's also no point in saying that sex doesn't sell in this hobby and that anyone else who recognizes it needs to get out more, lol
Old 12-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #66
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

I wasn't pointing out that Shard wasn't sold out. I was pointing out that she has sold well enough that she is almost sold out.

She's another example of why SEX isn't always the answer, nor should it be some definitive thing for every female statue.

You can spin it however you want, but Lady Maria proves the point well enough that you don't need some scantily clad woman to sell (I never a look a statue just for this). Bloodborne is niche as hell, yet it has appeal great enough to sell as well as it did. In addition to that, Maria is great character in terms of the lore.

We don't even know how the Rebel PF looks other than some modified image. It still doesn't tell us the color, base design, and switch-outs if any.

I'm also not saying that sex doesn't sell, it's not my point.

What I'm saying is that sex is not law that every female statue needs to follow to sell.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #67
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Where are the totally made up male characters at? There aren't any. Sex does sell and that is why they make these PF and Hot Toy figures.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:26 PM   #68
COI

Really glad this 'sex sells' conversation is happening in multiple threads. It's very intellectually stimulating.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:52 PM   #69
DiscoCougar

I commented about a tank top versus a shirt and how expensive concept statues don't sell if they're not sexualized in this thread.

How was I supposed to know other threads believe in the same marketing strategy? lol
Old 12-29-2017, 10:59 PM   #70
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Really glad this 'sex sells' conversation is happening in multiple threads. It's very intellectually stimulating.
Glad I'd brought it up
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote