Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
Dark Logic
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Thoughts on Sculpt Biz Concept?

I had an idea I just wanted to throw out there. I'm not trying to start a company, just wanted to see what other collectors thought. Also considering im a relatively new collector, I could be missing that their is someone doing this concept already. If so, please educate me. (If there isn't, im also hoping someone who really knows this business tries this concept...the right way)

So what if there was a sculpt company 100% dedicated to (statue bases only) that would give collectors an opportunity for alternative bases to place their favorite pieces past and present?
There are tons of pieces out there that have been owned by collectors for years. A new and exciting base could breath new life into the piece? Some would say there are some current pieces that could use a different base.
With tech advances in this industry, in addition to static alternative bases, some alternative production bases could incorporate led lighting, animatronics, passive (materiel safe) fog effects? Even bases designed to accommodate 2 particular pieces at once. Some of these may work, some may not but you get the point.
As everyone knows, some companies are already doing these bases as custom commissions by request and the results of some have been very impressive.

The production inventory of bases would be determined by the popularity of pieces past and present, customer consensus via voting, polling and requests. This company could also take custom commissions. However the advantage of buying from this "base dedicated company" is the lower cost of a low run alternative production base rather than a more expensive "one off" custom commission. Also consider this company can create bases that can accommodate popular pieces from ALL statue companies. Consult an attorney, but there shouldn't be any licensing issues for 3rd party unaffiliated as long as the marketing, legal wording is proper. 3rd party, after market stuff is done all the time in other industries successfully with no legal issues. OR..make alliances with the other companies...either way, there's always a way to do a thing.

Even though this industry is a small niche, the market as a whole would be significant to this one dedicated company. Their is risk in starting any business, however if one of the established sculpt companies (licensed or unlicensed) decided to create this as a "spin off" or "side company" as a test bed for this concept, the risk could be minimal. You'd already have the resources and man power in place. Consider you already have a strong source of primary income so experimenting with this concept wouldn't be a huge loss if it failed. The "Base company" would need to go full out with the concept..yet in the beginning, could play it safe and start off with a few very selective alternative bases for some popular pieces to see how it goes over. The rest could be history...good or bad.

I thought this would make a interesting discussion for the established companies to observe given that they do peek in on us. Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.
Dark Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Logic View Post
Even though this industry is a small niche, the market as a whole would be significant to this one dedicated company. Their is risk in starting any business, however if one of the established sculpt companies (licensed or unlicensed) decided to create this as a "spin off" or "side company" as a test bed for this concept, the risk could be minimal. You'd already have the resources and man power in place. Consider you already have a strong source of primary income so experimenting with this concept wouldn't be a huge loss if it failed. The "Base company" would need to go full out with the concept..yet in the beginning, could play it safe and start off with a few very selective alternative bases for some popular pieces to see how it goes over. The rest could be history...good or bad.

I thought this would make a interesting discussion for the established companies to observe given that they do peek in on us. Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.
Great idea but I think you identified it s Achilles heel right there. It IS a very small and niche market. I personally think that the potential client pool for an even more specialized product might make it a difficulty concept to profit from. Personally, while I love many customs, I can't justify pumping a few hundred more into an already expensive piece.

I could be wrong though.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
Dark Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Great idea but I think you identified it s Achilles heel right there. It IS a very small and niche market. I personally think that the potential client pool for an even more specialized product might make it a difficulty concept to profit from. Personally, while I love many customs, I can't justify pumping a few hundred more into an already expensive piece.

I could be wrong though.
Exactly, I agree with you in regards to collectors being hesitant to spend a few hundred more on an already expensive piece. However this is from a perspective when (us nerds) are in their right minds...On the other hand, when we see something that resonates, we get into a zone!..All reason and logic go out the window and we have to have that thing that resonates. This psychological behavior has already been proven through years of observation by the many of us who spend hundreds, many times a thousand on a piece that folks in the normal world would think us to be insane to do.

All Im saying is that we collectors are passionate enough to buy a thing if its compelling enough. Compelling is a key word here. The dedicated base company would take there time to create base master pieces collectors cant resist...they would use social media like the smart companies are already doing. They see what the customers want. They take polls and suggestions getting paying customers involved in the process. They take preorders. They incorporate a flex pay program for high end pieces. They smartly project the market to minimize risk. Companies like Side show and XM have it all figured out in regards to there full statue peices...The base company wouldn't re invent the wheel...just copy what these big statue companies are already doing to almost ensure a product sells.

As far as price? As a rule, the base should never exceed the cost of the piece it was meant for. However, there should be a range of low to high end bases.. After all, a company cant deprive the people of what they will pay for. With all due respect to the statue companies, margins for the production pieces we pay hundreds sometimes a thousand for are awesome...The mark ups are very healthy relative to what it takes to produce a single production piece. Collectors perceive the value, companies know this and price accordingly. And this is perfectly ok. I consider these works of art like everyone else. But my point is considering its not expensive for a company to make a piece, the price for a base can reflect that. A healthy profit for a base can be made, but the mark up is with in a lower range because it's only a base. Consider this quote from my first post: QUOTE_ * However the advantage of buying from this "base dedicated company" is the lower cost of a low run alternative production base rather than a more expensive "one off" custom commission. (base)

Also consider these quotes from my first post:
QUOTE_* There are tons of pieces out there that have been owned by collectors for years. A new and exciting base could breath new life into the piece?
*As everyone knows, some companies are already doing these bases as custom commissions by request and the results of some have been very impressive.
*Even though this industry is a small niche, the market as a whole would be significant to this one dedicated company.
*Also consider this company can create bases that can accommodate popular pieces from ALL statue companies.
That's a lot of opportunity for one company even in a small niche.

One more thing I forgot to mention...the base company can also do alternative accessories that replace the original accessories accompanying a statue. For example, you know how factory pieces will have add-ons that are part of the kit? The parts where, you as the collector will snap on/add on to complete the piece? Well the base company can do alternatives for these accessories. ie: a piece of street debris can be replaced with a damaged "street sign" etc. etc.

I think it would be worth a try and a established company could experiment with this concept at minimal risk.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

well people, can have all of that done now.

its called customization. what one person wants to have for their statues isn't always what someone else wants.

MM pretty hit the nail on the head (and so did you) with it being a small niche. most collectors are content with what is offered with the piece once finalized.

dont get me wrong, your idea is a good one. but it just might not be as profitable for someone to do this.
plus your mentioning a low cost small run of pieces. when ever you do a small run of pieces. its always going to cost more. the larger the run the least it will cost to have produced. and in return reflects on the price for the customer.

really the only way that something like this world work IMO would be for the companies themselves to offer different bases and accessories. but would most def have to be on a limited run for not everyone may like what they are offering. and in return may not be even feasible for them to do it to make a profit. so more than likely the reason why they dont do it..

so again, thats were customization comes in for the ones who what things done the way they have it visioned. yes its costly to the collector. but then again. collectors pay huge outrageous prices on the secondary market for pieces that are sold out and that they want to get for their collection. so it all boils down to what its worth for a collector and is willing to pay to have something in their collection. whether it be rare sold out pieces or a customized base or accessory.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Dark Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
really the only way that something like this world work IMO would be for the companies themselves to offer different bases and accessories. .
This is what I really want. Its called reverse psychology.
Low runs, high runs..In the end , all I want are alternatives that are cheaper than one off customs. Social media and forums can be used to project the market, vote on what's produced. If this is something collectors wouldn't mind having around, I think it would be a great idea to see how it can happen..(hint, hint)...always a way to do a thing friend.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
avengerswalker
Frackin!

avengerswalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Dark Logic

QUOTE=avengerswalker;4922296][/QUOTE]

Thanks son...(He is home schooled and should be doing his work and not on statue forum )

The companies are already going in this direction by offering alternative heads, arms accessories....Expanding this and including alternative bases and more accessories as a purchase is the next step. No one complains about having more options. In fact, they rave about it. Its an awesome convenience for the collector and potentially profitable for the company. If anything, it does raise the bar in the industry for companies to do this.

In my mind, as a collector, a company offering this would be even more highly regarded above other companies who complain about how it cant be done, making excuses etc etc. That tells me a said company is comfortable with the status quo and doesn't want to move in the direction the industry is already going.

Digital design and resin production machines would be perfect and practical for alternative bases.
If I was so lucky to be graced by there presence, Id love to have someone form XM, Side Show or other company chime in and tell us what they think of this concept and the possibilities. After all, they are the real experts.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

Thematically, this could be a very cool idea. I tend to group my statues by theme. I have my BD Cosmic-Characters grouped together as do I my BD Horror-Heroes. I'd love an opportunity to purchase an enormous graveyard base for my Horror guys, say displaying them all semi-interacting between tomb stones, surrounded by a rod-iron fence... complete with dead branches, dripping Spanish moss, etc...
Would also love an opportunity to display my Cosmics on a crater-pocked moon surface.

Logistically, I can't see how this would work in terms of pegs. Each character has different peg width between feet. I don't see how one could design a base to hold random statues. I'd always hoped that sculptors might stay fairly uniform in their basis for certain groups of characters so, at the very least, one could display the more urban heroes clustered on base-rooftops, space heroes on asteroid type bases, horror statues might each include a tombstone of other gothic element which could tie together.

I just don't see. w/o a specific new base going for a specific character, that this could be pulled off.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
Dark Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Logistically, I can't see how this would work in terms of pegs. Each character has different peg width between feet.
The bases would not be a general one size fits all. (Although with some ingenuity, that could happen in the future with interchangeable modules/fillers)...but anyway... The base would be designed with the position lining up with the statue pegs from a specific original statue. Experienced companies know exactly how to do this.

Alternative production Bases are chosen to accommodate specific popular pieces by polls or votes.

I don't want to use the word easy, but its not difficult to take a statue and build a base accordingly...it would likely be a process of digital/ resin and a bit of hand sculpting to get it right..but the digital takes most of the production time out of it. Consider once the master has been made, its all gravy from there. The machines spits out the production resins. Score, paint and finish. At least that how I think it goes.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
Dark Logic

Exciting news: XM has just personally educated me on the process in detail...I fully understand why it may not be a good idea to do alternative bases as production pieces at this time. I had to bow down to the experts.

However, they are making alternative accessory pieces available for current and future pieces that they produce...and get this, they will also be making alternative base ACSESSORIES for 1/4 pieces produced by other companies like SS and GG (let me be clear..not bases..but the base accessories for them)...HOLY COW!!!!....Im good with that.
XM is the bomb!!!!! (consider I asked permission to quote them on this)