Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #21
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
I think it depends. If you're at a con, and you don't give enough direction to the artist, who is going to not be 100% used to drawing that character and is under timed conditions, then you shouldn't quibble IMO.

Whereas if he's doing a commission at home, he has the time to show you wips and get the information he needs.
exactly!

another great post!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #22
Tattoo-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
I think it depends. If you're at a con, and you don't give enough direction to the artist, who is going to not be 100% used to drawing that character and is under timed conditions, then you shouldn't quibble IMO.

Whereas if he's doing a commission at home, he has the time to show you wips and get the information he needs.
But that doesn't always work. Had one piece that I requested WIP, and never got any. Piece was good, but the artist through in one of his trade mark things, which I didn't really like. But knowing that it's his thing, and that he was rushed due to personal things, I just let it go.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #23
risingstar
Jedi Order

In all my years of con attending, I have so rarely come across a rude artist in person. I can only remember a handful of artists who appeared perhaps a little too "all business".
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #24
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

For me, it also depends on how much money I am spending. If I go to a con and am paying $50 or $100 for a con sketch and I wasn't too specific, I most likely like the artist anyways or I wouldn't have asked them so odds are I would like what they did regardless. Course if I am getting Mark Brooks to do a con sketch, I would hope that it is what I asked. Of course if I was lucky enough to get Mark to do it, I would probably be hovering over him the entire time, watching him anyways.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #25
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo-X View Post
But that doesn't always work. Had one piece that I requested WIP, and never got any. Piece was good, but the artist through in one of his trade mark things, which I didn't really like. But knowing that it's his thing, and that he was rushed due to personal things, I just let it go.
If you requested WIPs and the artist didn't produce them, then the artist is to blame...unless it's me.

It isn't me is it?
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #26
Underdog07
Hercules

I agree with many posters here -- Where I would object is if I asked for say Hulk vs. Wonder Woman and the artist turned it into a scene from Cherry Poptart, well that I would probably not just take
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #27
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

check that the artist is familiar with the subject you want drawn. if he isn't then pick something else that they know better, or bring reference material if you really want that character drawn
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #28
jansen
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

If they Artist doesn't treat me like a customer than I wouldn't buy from them.

Unless I was the one being a prick
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #29
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

I really tend to step back and let the artist do what they do... be an artist and decide how and what they want to draw. I tend to give very generalized requests when I do. Odds are that I'm going to the artist because I appreciate their art. Therefore I want to allow them complete artistic freedom to produce a peice of art that they are happy with from their vision.

I do agree there is a difference between conventions sketches and at home commissions. I, personally, tend to stay on the lower end of the scale for commission requests and what I'm willing to spend. At that range, I'm happy to let the artist run wild. If I was dropping $500 to $1000, I would think I'd want a bit more input in what was being done.
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote