Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #21
pl212
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

are we allowed to name drop ?
pl212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #22
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl212 View Post
are we allowed to name drop ?
YUP.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #23
pl212

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
YUP.
haha, I'll say bill sienkiewicz, love his art but doesn't give you the bang for those big bucks you pay him
pl212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #24
chrissnorek

The flipside is also true though. I was not really a fan of Khoi Pham until I met him. Unbelievably nice person and I warmed up to his art because of it.
chrissnorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #25
Tattoo-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
In Seattle back in 06 I got into a pissing match with Michael Golden as I was trying to hand him money. We trading some colorful language and I will never buy anything of his as he is a douche.
I think that was the same year that Shawna had issues with him. It was more with his rep, Renee Witterstaetter. He wasn't allowed to sign more than one trading card at a time, or a few if you bought something. Or something like that.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #26
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikins View Post
if you take a moral stand on any creator- that you have to like a creator to like the work...
Doesn't that mean that you have to research EVERY creator to see if you like them before you buy their art? What if they're dead? Aren't you a hypocrite if you only take a stand on folk's you've met or heard about?
But the only reason you still like artist X is that no one's told you he was a racist bastard in the 30's...

That's a pretty hard moral to stand to keep up with.

As for me, I find it harder to pay for more then a cheaper sketch from artists that don't jive with me. But really, the moment I take a moral stand on one artist is the moment I turn into a hypocrite on other artists...
You don't have to know everything about an artist - I mean, if Mignola was a decent guy to me, no matter how many horror stories I was told about him I wouldn't stop buying his stuff - but because I experienced it first hand - yeah - the guy lost a fan for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Head View Post
I don't think it's hypocritical to not like someone's work because they were a jerk to you or someone you know. For a lot of people (not everyone) it basically shows that everytime you see that person's artwork, then you associate with your last experience with them. I find it hard to disassociate the experience with the product. If I meet someone at a con, and they're an ass to me, then everytime I see their work I'll think about that encounter. It spoils it for me because I don't necessarily want to think about that encounter again.

It also works the other way too.
Absolutely! Tim Sale was a real nice guy and I look at his art in a totally different way now - in a more positive way!
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #27
Tattoo-X

She also had issues with Chris Warner over signing a comic. A few years later I approached him, and he was very nice. And Shawna was there, but that one incident left a lasting issue with her.

And Frank Cho falls into that same category. We weren't really familiar with his work at the time. She was getting a card signed by someone next to him. He was all business like to the point of being rude with everyone, except the guy that bought a high price piece of original art. A couple of days later I went around getting a card signed for Shawna's Birthday/Valentine's Day. Every writer wrote something, and every artist did a little doodle, except for him.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #28
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl212 View Post
haha, I'll say bill sienkiewicz, love his art but doesn't give you the bang for those big bucks you pay him
Haha, this is EXACTLY who I was thinking of while reading this thread.

Ok, I'll try to make a long story short:

Many a year ago, Bill is at one of the local NYC Big Apple shows doing sketches. $100 for a full figure, but this basically means, $100 for whatever he feels like doing. I have literally $60 in cash on me and ask if he would like to do something "less" for the $60? He agrees and says to check back at the end of the day. Needless to say, it's not done, but he gives me his email address and says to email him my address, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Two or three shows later, I finally get the piece. I go up to him, he says he has it, and as he's showing it to me says, "I did a lot of work on this, do you mind paying the remaining $40 for it?". Three things came to mind;

1) Ummm, we agree to $60 and that's all I'm paying (may or may not get the artwork)

2) F-you, I don't want it after you made me wait all this time anyway, give me my $60 back (may or may not get $60 OR artwork)

3) Sure, it's a nice piece, I don't mind

I went with #3 because it I thought it was a nice piece, AND it was based on the Colossus Art Adams did for the cover to Classic X-Men #1. So, after I give him the extra $40 and thank him for the artwork, he says to me "I better not see that on Ebay!". I say "ummmmm, ok....." and walk off thinking "what a f-ing di(k!"

I still have the piece, but I always look at it and chuckle about the circumstances surrounding it. Oh yeah, I would NEVER give that asshole another dime of my money, and I never recommend to anyone else that they do either.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #29
Tattoo-X

Jim Steranko is stuck up. Nuff said.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #30
philip tan
Artist
Producer

Oh man.. I am now going to keep reminding myself at every show, to give every client or passerby a kiss so I won't get into this blacklist from you guys.. Well, maybe not ( prolly scare mire of you to not buy my stuff ).. But goodjob having public topics like these, guys! I'm sure lots of these diva artists reads stuff here and maybe think twice about their attitude..

You think you guys got it rough? Well wait til you hear stories from many of us pros, wrong by other pros, back when we were just starting..

But.. I think that'll be pretty unprofessional of me.. I'll stay away..

Just wanted to say you guys keep this up keep lots of us in check!

Philip
philip tan is offline   Reply With Quote