Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Riverdale (Archie TV Series)

Berlanti Set to Produce Archie Comics Drama 'Riverdale' for Fox - Comic Book Resources
Since I was a kid I always wanted to see a live action movie or TV series based on Archie comics. I am aware of the 60s animated series and that awful TV movie where the Archie gang is all grown up.

I am not liking that this series is geared as a drama, it should be a comedy. Hopefully it does maintain the balance of humour amongst the teen drama.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Does anyone plan on watching this?

Season premiere is tonight in the U.S. The reviews have been interesting.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

I'm planning on watching tonight. This morning's W. Post gave it a good review although the reviewer seemed a bit stymied on the new, bleaker, angst-filled, CW' representation of Archie Andrews, the gang, & Riverdale portrayed in this show. I'm guessing that he/she has not been exposed to some of the streams Archie comics have been taking of late. Mark Waid's been writing a modern take on Archie, & new Sabrina, Josie, & a horror-themed Archie book have modernized else-worlds versions of the mythology. The review did mention some of these aspects, but fell short of mentioning them as motivation. Whatever, ... Archie's been updated in the comics & I think the CW's using the "new Archie" as a springboard. We'll see. I doubt the CW's target audience even knows who the heck Archie is.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

It was good, a little borinig, but pretty good. I see that Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa wrote the pilot. That would explain why his Archie books are so beyond late. The show had the same feel that the modernized Archie comics do. I especially liked the Bettie/Veronica casting. Both actresses were perfect. Don't recall Ms. Grundy ever being so young.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
patrickwm68
The Flash

Such a strange show, I have to keep watching. Archie banging Ms Grundy, LOL.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I only read the new series by Adam Hughes. Only vaguely know of the old series just by name. This seems like an ok show. Pretty standard CW teen stuff with a bit of a retro look and stuff going on. It's not as dark as I thought from the teasers. But I guess the mystery is just starting.

And I thought the actress that plays Ms Grundy was Liv Tyler's sister. She's hot.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #7
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Not what I was expecting. It's like One Tree Hill mixed with 90210. Will give it a chance
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
ParisDean

New Ms. Grundy is even younger and hotter than new Aunt May!

I haven't read any of the revamped Archie books so the new take on characters was a bit of a shock at first. It isn't bad though--slightly Twin Peaks-ish--so I'll stay with the show for the time being.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

Watched the 2nd episode last night. Surprised at how much actual canon the show is using from the old, classic Archie books as well as from the updated, modern Archie. We finally meet Weatherbee, Josie & her band sing a classic Archie song, Jughead's hat somehow works, he mentions burgers, etc ... I'm already guessing who the baddie is, but with still so many unused Archie' characters left to roll out, the eventual capture of a character will still leave room for many more. Not sure why its taken so long for an Archie show & am not so sure one can actually work w/ today's tv audience, but so far, Riverdale is working. The High-school looks amazing w/ it's mish-mash of 50's, 60's, 70'se on up stuff.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
ParisDean

I like the nod to Pep Comics (Archie's first appearance) in the Riverdale sign.