Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #291
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Is this Babydoll PF truly going to be 1/4? Should be about 15.75 inches if standing up straight (Emily is about 5' 1" and add about 2 inches for heels). Unlike like GG who printed the statue at 18".

Babydoll is probably the most petite character (based on a real person) done in PF.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #292
modus
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Yoda is a real person.
modus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #293
Nitefall
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by modus View Post
Yoda is a real person.
All statues are real. People...jury's still out.
Nitefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #294
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight66 View Post
Very bold statement since we all know ssc has given us so many gems
I say that because:

1. I was going to pick up GG's Sweet Pea before even seeing the movie or any of the trailers. The statue was that cool to me. After seeing the movie, I like the statue even more.

2. I'm not very fond of PFs at all. Lara will be my first one. So, my preference is working against the PF already.

3. Sweet Pea has one of the more complex Sucker Punch costumes. I would assume that Sideshow would use material for her jacket. But just thinking about how Rogue's jacket lacked the small details makes me certain that the details will be missing if Sideshow attempts Sweet Pea. Plus, there are other materials on the jacket and the laces. It will be very difficult for them to get the details right at the normal PF scale. Maybe they could do it at Legendary scale.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #295
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I do think Sweet Pea's costume is more detailed than Baby Doll's, but I believe that Rocket, Amber and Blondie have the most detailed (and difficult) costumes to make into PF form.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #296
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I think the GG Sweet Pea can't be beat. She is the best of GG's group to me. There is no way a PF will top that statue. I would put money down on that. Especially since we've seen the actual product. There should be no problems when she arrives at my door.

I always wanted a more action pose for Baby Doll so I'm interested in how this turns out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight66 View Post
Very bold statement since we all know ssc has given us so many gems
Dark Knight66 was that sarcasm?

I am going to agree with Replicant Savior on this one. When comparing the SS Premium Formats with GG's Sucker Punch girls,GG wins hands down. Name one SS Premium Format that comes close to their amout of detail and paint quality? GG didnt use eye decals on their versions and their eyes are straight. It is highly likely that Sideshows will have decals that i guarantee will be looking in opposite directions and not match the proto eyes.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #297
borrelen
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
Dark Knight66 was that sarcasm?

I am going to agree with Replicant Savior on this one. When comparing the SS Premium Formats with GG's Sucker Punch girls,GG wins hands down. Name one SS Premium Format that comes close to their amout of detail and paint quality? GG didnt use eye decals on their versions and their eyes are straight. It is highly likely that Sideshows will have decals that i guarantee will be looking in opposite directions and not match the proto eyes.
I have to agree about SS paint application for eyes. SS eyes used to be detailed and well placed.

Now it seems they slap on a somewhat round iris and somewhat round pupil somewhere on the white part of the eye and call it a day. Googly eyes without much detail are the norm instead of the exception.

Who wants a cross-eyed or wall-eyed $300 to $400 statue? When is SS going to exert some quality control over their manufacturers and hold them accountable for fixing problems on the manufacturer's dime? It is obvious from GG paint applications that it is possible to get consistently good eye placement with enough detail so they look realistic.
borrelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #298
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrelen View Post
I have to agree about SS paint application for eyes. SS eyes used to be detailed and well placed.

Now it seems they slap on a somewhat round iris and somewhat round pupil somewhere on the white part of the eye and call it a day. Googly eyes without much detail are the norm instead of the exception.

Who wants a cross-eyed or wall-eyed $300 to $400 statue? When is SS going to exert some quality control over their manufacturers and hold them accountable for fixing problems on the manufacturer's dime? It is obvious from GG paint applications that it is possible to get consistently good eye placement with enough detail so they look realistic.
I shouldn't say that SS can't produce statues with the same quality as the GG Sucker Punch girls. Back in the day SS did some very amazing work. Like the Species Maquette or Patient Zero. But now, when comparing the releases from the past two years to the quality of the GG SP girls, GG wins big time.I don't think SS focuses on quality anymore, just speed and money.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #299
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I agree. There's a reason for the saying "The eyes are the window to soul". As eyes bring a lot of expression. And when poorly done, can completely ruin a well sculpted figure. Even when Sideshow has eyes that are not sloppily painted, I find that the irises are often too small. You're not suppose to see white above or below the iris unless the character has their wide open liKe being scared. Sideshow really needs to focus on the eyes and improve the quality of the factory paint apps.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #300
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

GG have released one excellent sculpt in SP, but to suggest that SS have not released pieces with equal detail is delusional. The Spider-man Comiquette is on a different planet and that was only out last year.

Last edited by Bullseye; 01-08-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote