Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

New Macbook Pros released today

Figured i post about this, new Macbook Pros released today. I been waiting for this since my old MPB is a first gen and been looking to update it. Since i been taking on some more freelance graphic work i figured i would need a new one for the new adobe CS5 released this week as well.

Not the biggest update on them but better then what i am using.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=895644

13" MacBook Pro
- $1199: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive
- $1499: 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive

15" MacBook Pro
- $1799: 2.4 GHz Core i5, Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive
- $1999: 2.53 GHz Core i5, Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive
- $2199: 2.66 GHz Core i7, Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive

17" MacBook Pro
- $2299: 2.53 GHz Core i5, Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
xXx
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Out of all of them, Which one would you recommend for someone who's getting into graphics, using photo shop and coral draw?
xXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:56 AM   #3
metalsquid
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I think the sweet spot now is the 15" i5 model. if you're doing graphics, get the one with higher-res, matte display. the truth is, even the current gen 13" macbook will be powerful enough for Photoshop. just upgrade the HD and RAM on your own and save a bundle. Apple charges you thru the nose for those.

overall, i'm disappointed after waiting so long for updates to the 13" MBP. the higher battery life is fantastic but it's not enough for me to open my wallet. for what i had in mind, I think i'll just use the money on an iPad instead and get a refurb iMac or Mini down the road.
metalsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
I'm in graphics as well but for the life of me I wish I could allow myself to switch to Mac. I'm just too happy with my PC. I had a huge iMac put on my desk but I hardly touched it so I let the new guy use it

I just don't see what's the big hooha about graphics and mac. Someone care to point out what I'm missing?
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
metalsquid
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

there's nothing special about a Mac that makes it better at graphics. a Mac or PC is just a tool to get your work done. use whichever one suits you best and gets your work done quickest. in this day and age they can both do what the other can do equally well. give the iMac a try one day if you're not under any tight deadlines and see if it fits you. there's a bit of adjusting to get used to the 'Mac' way of doing things. but you'll know pretty quick if you like it or not.
metalsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXx View Post
Out of all of them, Which one would you recommend for someone who's getting into graphics, using photo shop and coral draw?
it depends on what screen size you want.

if you want a bigger screen the 17in is best, but if you will connect a laptop to a screen on your desk when you are not on the go a 15 in is best.

This is the one i will be getting since i need a upgrade and i do photoshop, illustrator and quark on it.

2.66GHz Intel Core i7
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

I get the antiglare cause it doesnt have the glass screen where you get reflection in it. I know it makes it super crystal clear but most of the graphic guys get antiglare. Plus this will hold up on the secondary market down the line if you plan to sell off.

Personally i wouldnt get a 13 in for graphics, screen is just to small to move art boards around.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekrodneysim View Post

I just don't see what's the big hooha about graphics and mac. Someone care to point out what I'm missing?
I find i can have 10 programs opened at once, switch between photoshop, illustrator and quark with ease. Photoshop can be doing a filter on a photo, while quark is making a PDF and im drawing in illustrator. All programs run by themselves, so if one does hang up the rest are not effected. I find i can calibrate my screen easier with OSX software then on a PC to get correct color balance in photoshop.

Plus i think the most important thing for me is the quick keys. I am so used to being able to hit the "apple" key and another etc... in them i can fly thru projects with ease.

Ive tried doing these things on my bosses PC with these programs and everything just hangs up and goes slow. Hes got a decent PC, but just cant handle the things i do on the MacPro. Hell i had a 9 year old G4 mac and it still could process graphics faster then my bosses 1 year old PC. OSX seems to be way more stable then XP or vista in this department.

this is my experience and just comes down to what you you like and what makes you comfortable doing graphics on.