Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 02-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
aliseo85
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Painting statues with brushes: help and suggestions

Hi folks,

Since I’ve started sculpting in these last months, I’ve realized that painting a statue is a challenging and complex process, way beyond my skills and experience.
However, I’d like to give it a try. Of course, I do not intend to spend money because I’m greedy (and without money), so airbrush equipment is unfortunately not an option: however I saw some sculptors achieving outstanding results just with brushes (from the bench corner but there was a Narin’ Wolverine, painted by himself with just brushes, that was plain awesome and other examples I can’t remember now) so I’d like to take this direction.
I do not want to start a debate here, brush vs airbrush (especially after all the incredible videos of Vince-vell), I would just like to receive some advice/guideline/tutorial/link on painting this way: from priming, up to shading effects and details. Internet is full of tutorials with airbrush, but nothing about simple brushes…

Thanks!
aliseo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Sithlord32
New Republic

Applying the paint works the same way with a brush or a airbrush. Its all about layers. Either work from dark to light as most do or work from light to dark its your preference.
There is a tone of places including these forums on painting and how the layers work just keep watching and reading till you feel your confident with each step you need to take.
More than anything its about practice. I will say not getting any brush strokes is tedious as it requires MANY layers of thin paint to hide the strokes and takes practice.
Also a lot of it has to do with the paint your using. Some paints will go on smoother with a brush and dont need as much diluting.
Personally Ive had good success and like Vallejo game colors.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
aliseo85
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Thanks a lot for the tips!
I've to say, I'm really scared about painting, learning curve seems to be so steep...
aliseo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
jy90274
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

^ I know what you mean aliseo85.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=142403

I recently posted a thread asking some questions about how to paint 1/8th scale figure with some really tiny crevices and surface areas to paint, and while the suggestions were appreciated, I may have to paint with a brush as well since the spaces I need to cover are so damn small and tight.
jy90274 is offline   Reply With Quote