Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanthrope View Post
i havent bought any new statues in a couple of years. i sorta stopped collecting and started selling when i got into garage kits. there have been several releases i really wanted to buy but i get sooo much more satisfaction out of build/paint. im almost ready to admit that the majority of my statue collection was purchased out of vanity and the desire to have the rarest pieces. all im really left with are Frazetta and Frazetta-esque statues. i cant imagine not being a collector and although i havnt been buying, i am a collector and allways will be.
(amen)
Sounds like you have really streamlined your collection to something you are really happy with.

I hope I can do the same one day myself.
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
risingstar
Jedi Order

Collecting is in my blood... lol... The question is WHAT will I be collecting???

I get the sense that most of the pieces I would want have already been made or are already in the pipeline. I probably have 300 pieces or so right now. That's already more than I ever thought I'd have when I first started buying these thinggs. I don't see myself buying another 300 pieces over the next 15 years -- unless I start selling big time. Nowadays, I find myself almost as much a seller as I am a buyer. I always seem to be on the lookout to move some busts and statues. However, Sideshow has been making it extremely tough on me lately. So much of their product is phenomenal.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
ComputerFly
The Phantom

I'm relatively new to being a hardcore statue collector (just over 4 years, but I made my first statue purchase in '98), but I still get that rush when I open new product, whether it's Bowen, Sideshow, CM, etc.. And there are still plenty of characters I'm anxiously awaiting (movie mostly). I think we're just now getting into a 'golden age' of statue collecting. The product coming out really seems to be hitting its stride. I think once digital sculpting really takes off, we're going to see more complex sculpts for purchase than we could have ever imagined being done by hand, in a much quicker time frame.

These last 4 years have flown by. I guess I could still see myself buying statues 10 years from now. It will probably be that long before I get my Pinhead PF, lol!
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Collecting? nope, just doing what i do now, looking for those perfect sculpt that can be customized into the character i want.

As of now i am clearing out a lot of stuff, mostly busts and comics. Interests are changing.

Running out of room is a big part of it.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
misanthrope
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

when i started running out of space i became open to the idea of selling. before then it was considered blasphemy. i started by selling my least favorite of multiple characters and it was so traumatic i was ashamed. how could i be so attached to these things? after about 20-30 sales i got used to it. sorta like gettin rid of a litter of kittens or puppies, thats always kinda sad for me. but now i save tons of money, have only my favorite favorites, dont hafta choke my wife, and can still afford to buy kits. ive even started airbrushing. with the money i save i can afford to experiment with different techniques. its alot more feasible for me to buy only grail pieces at this point in life. i think the thrill of a major purchase will be greater now and for years to come.
misanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
IronLungs31

I've been collecting something for the past 22 years, and I don't see why that would change in 10 years.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #17
Frankierock
Omega Red

I have been Collecting for over 25 years...Granted that it was not always statues (that has been the last 4 years really)...So I guess it depends on whats out there That will catch my intrest...But I never stop alltogether on anything I collect (even though the Wife would love if i Did...lol) so I guess yes I still will be on the hunt...Especially if my son grows up to love them as much as I do...
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
The Watcher
Loki

In 10 Years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13 View Post
Do you think You'll still be collecting statues???
HELL NO!
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #19
Jesse321
Galactus

By that time (actually a lot sooner) I hope to be sculpting my own. I enjoy designing and making my own, way more than settling for someone else's interpretation of a character that I want.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #20
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

I'll prolly be done on the next year or 2
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote