Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 01-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
Jiggatron69
Hydra

How do I create a glossy coat?

Hello,

I'm just starting off on air brush painting and wanted to know how I can create a glossy look on black so that outfits and boots look extra shiny. Do I just get the Testors gloss coat and stick it in the airbrush to cover the surfaces?
Jiggatron69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
monomaster1
Sinister Six

Testors Glosscote.
monomaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Testors Gloss

Tamiya Gloss

Pledge Future Floor Polish thru a airbrush that you can pick up at any store that has cleaning cleaning supplies.

Garage Kits Gloss

and many more. All depends on the brand, how you want to spray it and which one gives the effect you want.

Not all do the same glass as i have learned but for most of my gloss items i use Pledge Future Floor polish thru my airbrush. $7 bottle at the store can last a looooooong time for statue glossing and still polish your kitchen floor.

Edit: stay away from krylon flat and gloss spray cans, they are the worst in my experience.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
Jiggatron69
Hydra

Thanks for the info. The first time doing this seems very difficult and I feel very unsure doing the gloss coat.

On another note, how do people normally paint the eyes on a figure? There are no stickers with some of these kits and I'm scratching my head as to how to achieve the perfect pupil???
Old 01-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggatron69 View Post
Thanks for the info. The first time doing this seems very difficult and I feel very unsure doing the gloss coat.

On another note, how do people normally paint the eyes on a figure? There are no stickers with some of these kits and I'm scratching my head as to how to achieve the perfect pupil???
Can watch this video on Archer fine transfer eye decals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKDeImMtalY

i sell the super hero ones, but archer site sells different kinds.

But before i started to use the decals for most of my projects i use water color paints for eyes.

This way if you mess up can just wash it away. There is a few tutorials on other sites on eyes like clubhouse and some random videos on youtube for how to paint eyes.

I just like to make my life easier with the decals since i do so many items and you get a cleaner look and able to place them correctly. hell most factories for pre paints use decals also.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
Jiggatron69
Hydra

Wow thanks! I was really stressin out over the eyes cause I was like how do they get all that detail in there with a brush!?!? I dont want my kit ending up looking like a dead girl

Also, I have these annoying pieces of resin that snapped off with the arms. Not sure what to call it but its the resin frame that the pieces come attached to so it ends up being this jagged brick along the back of the bicep which sticks out off the arm. I tried using an exacto knife to cut it but it seems pretty tough. I was thinking of using some sand paper to just grind it down. What grade should I use? Dont want to grind so hard that it messes up the rest of the arm's muscle detail.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #7
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Another video on some primer and sand paper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH7rR...D48F03&index=5

thats just called flashing, its where the resin is poured into the mold so you get extra out of that tube. Any sand paper will be fine from a home depot etc..

220, 200, 150 are good grades to sand down that flashing. Just have to sand down till its gone and not over do it.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:38 AM   #8
deenamathew
Doh!

Here is video about glossy coat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsAbfPXQ-6w
deenamathew is offline   Reply With Quote